Author Topic: Phoenix traded Isaiah Thomas to Celtics for Thornton and a 2016 1st round (cle)  (Read 21416 times)

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Ainge said this earlier today...

"We really like [the team’s young guards] a lot, but you need depth and you need a lot shooting and scoring at the guard position to be a great team," said Ainge. "We like our young kids, also. But we don’t have enough. The talent level that we have right now is not good enough at this moment. We do believe that most of our young players aren’t even close to reaching their prime, so that’s a very encouraging thought. And we also have James Young, who we like very much and we haven’t seen a lot of yet this year. Hopefully he’ll get a chance to get more playing time as the season goes on."
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Awesome move the the celtics. Just got home. I couldn't type while i was driving but what a nice deadline

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
With the structure of Thomas' contract and him being probably the best back up PG in the league, a role this team has needed filled since forever, I think Thomas could be here for many years. That contract is going to look like a massive bargain in two seasons.

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
We needed size and athleticism up front but instead of a big steak

Danny ordered SHRIMP!!! ???

Thunder stole Kanter, why do we need a dwarf? is this World of Warcraft?

Isaiah Thomas is a far more valuable (and as of this summer, probably much cheaper) player than Enes Kanter.

I think having Smart and Thomas at pg is a much better situation than Zeller and Kanter at center.   We can go out and get a better center than that.  Kanter would have been nice though. But i'm still holding out for better.  DA is smart though.  He didn't buy all in on a guy like Dragic either.  We have Marcus.  We needed a scorer from that spot.  It's about filling positions with what we think might work longterm.  I dont think Zeller and Kanter is the answer.  We can do better than that.  Smart and Thomas might be.  I like that Ainge looks for the right deals that way and doesn't settle.

Kanter is more physical than Zeller but neither guy is a rim protector really.  Thomas and Smart can do some things.

Well I disagree there, we have been unable to get a center since Perk and right now start an unathletic 6'9" fat guy there hehehe.

I like IT not trying to down play him, but in general I don't like small players that are really just role players. IMO some nights they just become useless because bigger guards just abuse them.

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
PHX just liquidating. . . but I guess they're still in good shape netting 2 1sts and going with Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe in the back court. Hmmm. Hmmm.

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Given Thomas' contract, skill set, & the price the Celtics paid, I have a hard time seeing the downfalls of this trade. 

Well done, Danny.   You did nothing to harm the long term forecast with this trade.  The assets & financial flexibility are still very much there.
He may have actually improved the asset situation overall. If IT plays well for us, he could be the best asset we have IMO.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
That's a nice move by Danny Ainge right there.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
It's going to be days on weeks before I can mentally sort out all of the different deals that took place and where everyone in the league is now. It's like the MBTA situation inside my mind.

I like the IT deal. We can still get a max FA this summer or two the summer after even with adding his money.

The C's are really in a great situation, they will be trending towards the playoffs while having the Brooklyn lottery picks in their back pockets....

to recap - The C's have nice young talent, cap space and lottery picks coming their way...what Ainge is doing is next level stuff....

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
With the structure of Thomas' contract and him being probably the best back up PG in the league, a role this team has needed filled since forever, I think Thomas could be here for many years. That contract is going to look like a massive bargain in two seasons.

It's a massive bargain right now.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
What's with Danny's fascination with undersized guards? This year we have traded for (and subsequently traded away or waived):
John Lucas III
Will Bynum
Jameer Nelson
Nate Robinson
Isaiah Thomas

These are all players 6' and under. 

And there was also Austin Rivers, who is a bit undersized for a SG.

And only one of them is on the team at the moment.  The rest, moving parts.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
PHX just liquidating. . . but I guess they're still in good shape netting 2 1sts and going with Brandon Knight and Eric Bledsoe in the back court. Hmmm. Hmmm.

But gave away the Laker 1st.

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
What's with Danny's fascination with undersized guards? This year we have traded for (and subsequently traded away or waived):
John Lucas III
Will Bynum
Jameer Nelson
Nate Robinson
Isaiah Thomas

These are all players 6' and under. 

And there was also Austin Rivers, who is a bit undersized for a SG.
Funny post, though not clear that it was meant as humor.

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
That moment you realize we basically worked traded that netted us Zeller and even better Thomas for free... If I hear anyone ever call out DA again, how lucky are we?

TP-  Wow think about that for a second.  Danny facilitated a trade, and then traded the player (Thornton) and the pick (Cleveland 1st round) for a point guard-cheap, young and talented.

He is a magician!
 ;D   
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

It's a massive bargain right now.
I haven't been a big IT fan, but I am a fan of the move due to his reasonable contract. Worth a late 20s pick. If we signed him as FA, I think we end up paying more.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Can't hate on Ainge today. Sick move. Gotta start Thomas.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC