Author Topic: Phoenix traded Isaiah Thomas to Celtics for Thornton and a 2016 1st round (cle)  (Read 21475 times)

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
To quote Scott Souza:  "So, appears Danny Ainge essentially turned an expiring BKN deal trade exception into Isaiah Thomas & Tyler Zeller"
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Great value. Not a huge fan of IT but the price was right.

Thanks Goran!

Offline HDrona01

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 8
Isaiah Thomas and Avery are both from Washington state and go way back - down to their middle school days in Tacoma. Good to see AB using his NBA network to help us out a bit! well done Danny!

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
After briefly skimming a few pages of this thread it seems like everyone is happy with the deal.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
After briefly skimming a few pages of this thread it seems like everyone is happy with the deal.
It's hard not to be. You get someone who can play and is signed for 3 years on a reasonable contract and give away... a draft pick in the 20s? Definition of something for nothing.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Holy Lord...

That's straight up theft from Danny. Great value on that trade. A good player on a decent contract, for basically a late 1st.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Isaiah can stay as a backup guard on a really good team when we're ready to reload and he won't cost much in the meantime.  I am a huge Kings League Pass fan and I have to say  he is REALLY entertaining to watch.  So good long term asset for cheap is all good in my book.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Great value again. 3 years $20M for a guy who efficiently scores close to 25 points per 40 and is entering his prime years.

The last year of that contract especially looks good... could be 7% of the cap for a starter. That's MLE type money.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Will be very interesting to see how this rotation works out. I really like the mix of skill sets between Smart, AB and IT. Its also nice that all 3 are on solid contracts long term. I wouldn't be surprised to see so 3 guard lineup with Marcus guarding the SF. This would allow all these guys to get consistent 30+MPG. The 3 guard didnt work for the Suns but Smart and AB are both capable of playing off the ball where Bledsoe and IT really aren't suited for this role.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Wonder how this works now. I'd like Thomas' scoring to be in the starting 5. Dude can just straight pour it in. I on the other hand don't want to see Smart out of the starting lineup. I think for a few games IT will come off the bench until BS figures out who he wants to start. I think he ends up starting AB this season though.

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Wonder how this works now. I'd like Thomas' scoring to be in the starting 5. Dude can just straight pour it in. I on the other hand don't want to see Smart out of the starting lineup. I think for a few games IT will come off the bench until BS figures out who he wants to start. I think he ends up starting AB this season though.

Whats everyones thoughts on this?

I think Thomas will come off the bench for the reminder of the season but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the line-up during crunch time....

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
Absolute steal in my opinion. Great job Danny.

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I love that he gets to the line over 4 times a game as well. Very excited about our newest Celtic. Celtics fans are going to love him. Hope we can keep winning and be in the playoffs. Would love to see this guy getting the Garden rocking.

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I wonder if Thomas knows that he was named after a C's enemy?
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
We needed size and athleticism up front but instead of a big steak

Danny ordered SHRIMP!!! ???

Thunder stole Kanter, why do we need a dwarf? is this World of Warcraft?

Isaiah Thomas is a far more valuable (and as of this summer, probably much cheaper) player than Enes Kanter.

I think having Smart and Thomas at pg is a much better situation than Zeller and Kanter at center.   We can go out and get a better center than that.  Kanter would have been nice though. But i'm still holding out for better.  DA is smart though.  He didn't buy all in on a guy like Dragic either.  We have Marcus.  We needed a scorer from that spot.  It's about filling positions with what we think might work longterm.  I dont think Zeller and Kanter is the answer.  We can do better than that.  Smart and Thomas might be.  I like that Ainge looks for the right deals that way and doesn't settle.

Kanter is more physical than Zeller but neither guy is a rim protector really.  Thomas and Smart can do some things.

Well I disagree there, we have been unable to get a center since Perk and right now start an unathletic 6'9" fat guy there hehehe.

I like IT not trying to down play him, but in general I don't like small players that are really just role players. IMO some nights they just become useless because bigger guards just abuse them.

blame the lockout: Nenad was a better center than Perk.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.