Author Topic: Phoenix traded Isaiah Thomas to Celtics for Thornton and a 2016 1st round (cle)  (Read 21518 times)

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Love Isaiah Thomas, but wouldn't have given up a #1 pick for him. Would've given Philly's 2 high 2nd's, but I think a #1 (albeit a likely 20s pick) is a bit too much.

Given the salary situation and the general lack of talent differential at that point in the draft, id rather have two high 2nd's than one late first.

Me too. Better value and Sixers just got worse in their quest to win in 2030.

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
After briefly skimming a few pages of this thread it seems like everyone is happy with the deal.
It's hard not to be. You get someone who can play and is signed for 3 years on a reasonable contract and give away... a draft pick in the 20s? Definition of something for nothing.
ha ha ha...if i had any doubts whatsoever about whether this is a good trade or not for the celtics, THIS POST removed them. if koz puts his seal of approval on a trade it MUST be good.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I actually rank the Cleveland 2016 pick behind the Philly 1st* because like others said two high seconds will probably be better than a 27-30 pick. So giving up the teams worst projected 1st for securing a young scoring pg isn't a bad deal. Since team moved Thornton it's kind of a swap but Thomas is locked up and younger. Only negative is it's more cap space used up.

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Haha Sean Grande Tweeted:

Isaiah Thomas, Jonas Jerebko and Luigi Datome bring the Celtics 2014-15 roster total to 27. 

Bill Russell had 49 teammates in 13 years.

(Note: I edited this because I embedded the wrong one)

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
We are fortunate to have the best GM in the league.  This is a steal. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Offline nacceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
Tough to not agree with the vast majority of posters here...This deal is unbelievable value. When you look at what DA has gained from that KG-Pierce deal, he's made an incredibly tough job look ridiculously easy.

Excited to see IT in the guard mix...This should also put Evan Turner back in his rightful position of 2-guard/small forward. Would not be shocked to see Thomas be the 6th man.

Point Guard: Smart/IT/Pressey
Shooting Guard: Bradley/Turner/Smart
Small Forward: Turner/Crowder/Young
Power Forward: Bass/Sully (inj.)/Olynyk (inj.)
Center: Zeller/Olynyk/Randolph

- If you want more offensive punch to the starting five = IT starts...Then you have a choice of starting Bradley or Smart...I also believe you will see a good amount of IT/Bradley/Smart combinations...My only concern is Smart not getting 30 MPG, but I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
if hes our starting point guard i think well have the smallest backcourt of all time... 5'9 and 6'2 or 3 avery bradley