Author Topic: Sports trip from the Netherlands to Boston  (Read 9251 times)

Sports trip from the Netherlands to Boston
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:00:57 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
Hi there fellow Celtics fans,

On February 6 me and my brother will fly from the Netherlands (Europe) to Boston to see the Celtics play against the Lakers, Bulls and Nuggets.

A dream of me is to see the Celtics win against the Lakers.

I was wondering if you guys have some advice for thinks to do in Boston? Freedom Trail, New England Aquarium, Fenway Park Tour, Sports Museum (TD Garden) are already planned.

Also do you guys have some advice for good affordable places to eat?

I'm also looking for a sports store with Air Jordans and a lot of Boston sport teams clothing. Also what's a great shopping mall?

I'll be very grateful if any one could give me some advice/tips!
Dutch Celtics Pride

Re: Sports trip from the Netherlands to Boston
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green

On February 6 me and my brother will fly from the Netherlands (Europe) to Boston to see the Celtics play against the Lakers, Bulls and Nuggets.

I was wondering if you guys have some advice for thinks to do in Boston? Freedom Trail, New England Aquarium, Fenway Park Tour, Sports Museum (TD Garden) are already planned.

I'm also looking for a sports store with Air Jordans and a lot of Boston sport teams clothing. Also what's a great shopping mall?

Wow, that's really fascinating! I hope you have fun and the Celtics win!

I'm not from Boston, so I don't know lol

Are you only coming for the Celtics? O.O
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Celtic Pride

Wow, that's really fascinating! I hope you have fun and the Celtics win!

I'm not from Boston, so I don't know lol

Are you only coming for the Celtics? O.O
Yes, not interested in a sunny holiday. Celticssss!
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 05:13:30 PM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
Fantastic :) good to see there are more people bleeding green in the Netherlands. As I'm also from the Netherlands and as soon as I finish studying and got a job I'll definitely go as soon as possible to Boston to watch the Celtics play!!
I would give up any vacation to go and see the C's and hopefully see Kevin Garnett play!

Veel plezier!! ;) (have fun) 

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Celtic Pride
Fantastic :) good to see there are more people bleeding green in the Netherlands. As I'm also from the Netherlands and as soon as I finish studying and got a job I'll definitely go as soon as possible to Boston to watch the Celtics play!!
I would give up any vacation to go and see the C's and hopefully see Kevin Garnett play!

Veel plezier!! ;) (have fun)
Dutch Celtic Pride! TP for being Dutch  :P

I study part time for my Bachelor Degree with a fulltime job so that made it possible at the age of 22. It's unfortunate that Rondo (my favorite player) and Sullinger wen't down right before my vacation but i'm still excited!

Thanks!
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

First, you're in luck. The weather will be somewhat warm (around 0 C, unlike the -10 C we've been getting consistently in January). In any case, Boston winters are not quite like Benelux ones, so if you're going to do the Freedom Trail (involving a bunch of walking) come prepared :)

A quick note about the Aquarium: they were recently working on their large tank that runs three floors up in the middle of the building. While they were offering ticket discount at that point, I still find the whole thing pretty pricey and probably not worth the money in this case. Haven't checked whether they're done with this yet, though.

One thing to consider is a day trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame (Springfield is pretty close, 1 1/2 hrs in a car).

You can also hope on the T (the local metro :P) and head across the river to Cambridge to take a look at Harvard and MIT if you're into that type of stuff.

You can get great view from the top of the Prudential with an audio tour if the weather is good.

Sports paraphernalia you can probably find in a lot of places. Sports Authority stores are probably as good choice as any.

For a decent mall you probably need to drive. Burlington Mall (a little north of Boston) and Natick Mall (a little west of Boston) are probably the two best choices. There are some shopping options in downtown Boston, too -- although some of them may be pricey.

There are plenty of reasonably priced sports bars and other food options around town -- for example try Boylston St. between Copley Sq and the turnpike. I also like Remingtion's in downtown Boston across from the Common Garden, which is generally quiet (rare quality for a sports bar), and has decent chowder (among other things).

A somewhat touristy, but still excellent (and cheap) place to eat is Quincy Market, which is right next to the Garden. It opens right into the Italian quarters (the North End), but stuff there is pricier (and somewhat hit-or-miss); in any case, I see no reason recommending Italian food to anyone visiting from Europe).

Food to try: lobster is out of season, so even if you find any, I don't recommend it; the clam chowder and fried seafood type of stuff will probably be good though. Decent Irish breakfast and/or other type of bar food (bangers, mash, etc.) may be nice, but someone else has to recommend a place to go to downtown, my hunting grounds are north of the river :)

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
That's awesome.  TP!

Can't help much though, as big a fan of the Celtics and Bruins as I am (and only living an hour away) I don't care much for Boston as a city.

I hope you enjoy it though.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Celtic Pride

First, you're in luck. The weather will be somewhat warm (around 0 C, unlike the -10 C we've been getting consistently in January). In any case, Boston winters are not quite like Benelux ones, so if you're going to do the Freedom Trail (involving a bunch of walking) come prepared :)

A quick note about the Aquarium: they were recently working on their large tank that runs three floors up in the middle of the building. While they were offering ticket discount at that point, I still find the whole thing pretty pricey and probably not worth the money in this case. Haven't checked whether they're done with this yet, though.

One thing to consider is a day trip to the Basketball Hall of Fame (Springfield is pretty close, 1 1/2 hrs in a car).

You can also hope on the T (the local metro :P) and head across the river to Cambridge to take a look at Harvard and MIT if you're into that type of stuff.

You can get great view from the top of the Prudential with an audio tour if the weather is good.

Sports paraphernalia you can probably find in a lot of places. Sports Authority stores are probably as good choice as any.

For a decent mall you probably need to drive. Burlington Mall (a little north of Boston) and Natick Mall (a little west of Boston) are probably the two best choices. There are some shopping options in downtown Boston, too -- although some of them may be pricey.

There are plenty of reasonably priced sports bars and other food options around town -- for example try Boylston St. between Copley Sq and the turnpike. I also like Remingtion's in downtown Boston across from the Common Garden, which is generally quiet (rare quality for a sports bar), and has decent chowder (among other things).

A somewhat touristy, but still excellent (and cheap) place to eat is Quincy Market, which is right next to the Garden. It opens right into the Italian quarters (the North End), but stuff there is pricier (and somewhat hit-or-miss); in any case, I see no reason recommending Italian food to anyone visiting from Europe).

Food to try: lobster is out of season, so even if you find any, I don't recommend it; the clam chowder and fried seafood type of stuff will probably be good though. Decent Irish breakfast and/or other type of bar food (bangers, mash, etc.) may be nice, but someone else has to recommend a place to go to downtown, my hunting grounds are north of the river :)
Thank you very much kozlodoev! TP!

Great weather for this time of the year indeed!

The website shows that the renovation of the aquarium is still in progress and there's a 5 dollar discount. I hope that not too many things are closed.

I was not planning to rent to a car so i have to skip those things. I will go to New York for 2 days with a special bus so i think i have to do most of the shopping over there. I was hopping for a good shopping place in Boston.

Many thanks for the advice for places to eat!
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:22 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Galeria Umberto on Hanover Street in the North End is a cheap great place to grab a quick lunch. I think it's only opened until 2-3 in the afternoon or until they run out of food.

In general I think you can find good food at decent prices in the North End. There are plenty of spots so you can kind of pick and choose.

You can get some cheap/funny/unique t-shirts and stuff from outside the garden on game nights. I usually get stuff from the pro shop as well in the Garden.

The bars in Fanueil Hall are a pretty good time and you can usually catch decent live music there.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
The bars in Fanueil Hall are a pretty good time and you can usually catch decent live music there.
You mean Fanueil Hall Marketplace, a.k.a Quincy Market, right? FH proper certainly has no bars :)
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2013, 07:39:02 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Not specific to Boston, but something I would highly recommend:

On 2/8, George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic will be playing at the House of Blues in Boston.

I saw them for the first time in 2009, and have gone back to see them every year since, something I really look forward to too.

One of the most diverse crowds I've ever seen at a concert.  Black, white, college kids, people in there 50's and 60's, hippies, business men in suits, etc.

They'll play close to a 3 hour set, and basically just jam.  Great energy from the crowd.  From the different times I've seen him, when leaving I've heard multiple people in the crowd comment on how that was one of the best shows they've ever been to, what a great show, etc.

Youtube videos won't do it justice, but if you're looking for something to do that Friday night, I would definitely suggest checking it out.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2013, 07:41:21 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Ana's Taqueria

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:03 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If you're looking for a really nice dinner, I recommend Grill 23.  That's probably my favorite place to go in Boston.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 08:19:10 AM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Celtic Pride
Thanks for all the help guys.

Around this time tomorrow i'm in Boston!
Dutch Celtics Pride

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Have a safe flight.