Author Topic: Celtics 2020 Draft picks  (Read 56364 times)

Re: Celtics 2020 Draft picks
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2020, 04:35:06 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Thoughts on Aleksej Pokuševski? His skillset is really unique imo, we could deploy him in a defensive role akin to Porzingis on the Mavericks (rim protector with high DIQ + some mobility on the perimeter) and have him provide fantastic additive value to our offence with high level shooting, ballhandling and passing (not just ball dominant passing, but extra passing as well) as a 7 foot combo forward who would give opposing big men nightmares. Obviously he's more of a project pick due to his young age, but that's what I envision him in our system if he develops.

Scouting report on him: https://www.thestepien.com/2019/05/06/2020-international-guide-curious-case-aleksej-pokusevski/
I like him with one of our low picks. He and Reed with 30 and 26 respectfully is what I want.

Poku could also be a good stash option considering our roster squeeze, if need be
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2020, 12:00:43 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
He's not ranked on NBA Draft.net

« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I don't want to list too many players, as there are similar skill sets and such but I wouldn't mind a draft of:
Saddiq Bey
Jalen Smith
Cassius Stanley
Ashton Hagans

I doubt very much DA uses 4 picks this year so a draft-and-stash prospect would HAVE TO be one. He may also have to trade into next year or package some picks to move up.

Second choices would be:
Jalen McDaniels ([probably biggest boom or bust pick after top 10)
Tre Jones
Xavier Tillman
Killiain Tillie

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2020, 02:28:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
delete
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 01:30:00 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Latest mock from SI. Nothing outrages. Has the C's picking:
RJ Hampton
Aleksej Pokusevski (doesn't say it but should be a stash player)
Jalen Smith

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/03/nba-mock-draft-latest-projections

« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2020, 12:45:12 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Someone will take pokusevsky higher than us.. I live in greece.. I do not like his play.. maybe I am wrong but there are better players in the draft

« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2020, 01:52:19 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Latest mock from SI. Nothing outrages. Has the C's picking:
RJ Hampton
Aleksej Pokusevski (doesn't say it but should be a stash player)
Jalen Smith

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/06/03/nba-mock-draft-latest-projections

Also have the Cs take Azubuike at #46

Over all I like this draft for the Cs.

Hampton is a great high upside pick at #17, he has the potential to be the best player in this class. His fit with the Cs is a little tough but he is a combo guard so the versatility should help get him on the court.

Poku has been talked about a lot. I personally am not high on him but that is only because I fear his need of physical development. At #26 with 1 or hopefully 2 years to stash him the risk is absolutely worth the high end potential reward.

J Smith is a pick I like but don't love. I worry that he is going to struggle on D with insufficient strength to defend bigs and not enough lateral quickness to defend perimeter players consistently. I would rather take Tillman at this pick. He is a safe plug in big who fits the Cs culture and style.

Azubuike, at #46 this is likely a 2-way deal and means the end of Tacko on the Celtics. I will hate to see Tacko go but think Azubuike has a really good shot at becoming a rotational big man. If played in a complimentary bench role he is a lot to handle in the paint and provides really good rim protection. He would give the Cs a great option vs Embiid and Jokic.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2020, 02:03:04 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I don't think Hampton lasts until the Cs at 17. He is a solid high upside pick.

I do have serious questions about whether he would be able to play for us, at all. He is essentially the same type of pick as Romeo Langford--a player that was a top prospect coming out of high school with excellent shot creation and good athleticism, but had a somewhat disappointing "rookie" or "freshman" season and therefore had a somewhat tepid response from scouts.

He'd be behind Walker-Smart-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Langford and probably Wanamker because of experience.

Still, I could talk myself into it if the Cs pick him.

« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2020, 03:01:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I do have serious questions about whether he would be able to play for us, at all. He is essentially the same type of pick as Romeo Langford--a player that was a top prospect coming out of high school with excellent shot creation and good athleticism, but had a somewhat disappointing "rookie" or "freshman" season and therefore had a somewhat tepid response from scouts.

He'd be behind Walker-Smart-Brown-Hayward-Tatum-Langford and probably Wanamker because of experience.

Agreed.  We already have Romeo. 

I like Maxey or Quickley as backup PG picks (realistically available at 17 or 26).  There is ceiling to become starting PGs down the line

« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2020, 03:15:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I like Maxey or Quickley as backup PG picks (realistically available at 17 or 26).  There is ceiling to become starting PGs down the line

I have Maxey and Hampton in the same tier and agree on the Celtics board Maxey should be ahead of Hampton. Hampton has more upside and because of this I would be shocked to see him fall out of the lottery.

I also like Quickley but as a 2nd round pick. Most mocks have him mid 2nd, he would be a steal a as a 2-way player
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2020, 03:51:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Langford plays 2 and small 3.

Hampton plays 2 and some 1.

They can play on the floor together. 

If Hampton slides to 17 you have to think hard about taking him. 

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I agree Langford and Hampton are different players.

If Hampton, is available the Cs 100% need to draft him.

If Hampton hits his ceiling and is developed by the Cs it is possible that he becomes the PG of the future and eventual Kemba replacement.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2020, 04:04:43 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Agreed. Don't forget to make your draft pick in the mock off-season!!

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2020, 06:01:22 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I guess you do have to think about it

But if Maxey is also available, I would take him 1st. 

I would also be fine with the Celts sitting (for a guard) and picking up a potential hidden gems like Ty Shon Alexander or Immanuel Quickley later in the draft

This is a pretty flat draft after the 1st 10 picks.  Celtics are in a good position
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 11:10:12 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2020, 08:20:27 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

I guess you do have to think about it

But if Maxey is also available, I would take him 1st. 

I would also fine with the Celts sitting (for a guard) and picking up a potential hidden gems like Ty Shon Alexander or Immanuel Quickley later in the draft

This is a pretty flat draft after the 1st 10 picks.  Celtics are in a good position

There is now a solid chance Memphis gets bumped from playoffs, jumping from 17 to 14/13 really should helpthe Cs catch the bottom of what I would consider this drafts drafts 3rd tier
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet