Author Topic: Defusing the Celtics 9-2 finals edge over the Lakers  (Read 26128 times)

Re: Defusing the Celtics 9-2 finals edge over the Lakers
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
Ok, so your saying Minneapolis should have asked to retain the banners? If so, can they ask for them back?

Yes. As much as I hate to admit it, those championships are still a part of the Lakers franchise.

Dont focus on the problem with my analogy, focus on the analogy made in the first post of this thread. Do you agree, or disagree? I gave my OPINIONS.

As far as my agreement with the OP, I've already posted it in the thread.

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2009, 04:25:51 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
It's very unpopular here, but I can easily understand the argument that the Lakers franchise has been better than the Celtics franchise over the course of history. We've had far too many down years while the Lakers have been far more consistent - no major stretches of futility like we had in pretty much the entire 90s. So I can't dismiss the argument. As a Celtics fan, I still put my franchise first, but I would even if the count was 18 to 17.

We have the biggest bullet, obviously, in the 17 to 15 or 10 advantage in titles. However, the Lakers have been to about a dozen more Finals than the Celtics and had far fewer years of non-contender status. And in the past 30 years of the modern NBA, the count is 9 titles, 15 Finals (half of all seasons) and 7 years of non-contender status for the Lakers to 4 titles, 6 Finals and 15 years of non-contender status (again, half of all seasons) for the Celtics. And unlike some, modern history does weigh a little more heavily for me because it has more relation to where the franchises are right now. And what "is" the best franchise is a present-time evaluation, albeit based on history.

That said, the OP's +12 or whatever advantage to the Lakers way overstates things even if the Lakers are a better franchise. You don't get points when a non-contender Lakers team loses in the first round and a non-contender Celtics team misses the playoffs. Neither gets an advantage in that situation. Like others have pointed out, where the teams lose to the same team in the playoffs (i.e., Celtics lose in ECF, Lakers lose in Finals or vice versa), neither gets an advantage - both teams were contenders, neither won it. Similarly where one team wins a championship and the other doesn't make the playoffs, that's a far bigger advantage than one team winning the Finals over the other. Like I said, due to consistency, I can understand the Lakers franchise coming out on top, I just don't think your method of calculation is very good.  

As for the breakdown of types of teams by furball into three categories (champions, playoff teams and non-playoff teams), I respectfully disagree. As you may have guessed, I think that if there are three categories, those categories are champions, contenders and non-contenders.

For example, this year, the Pistons weren't better than the Suns, or even the Bobcats or Warriors or Pacers, just because they got to lose 4 straight games by double digits in the playoffs. None of those teams were contenders at all, so it really doesn't matter that the below .500 Pistons got into the playoffs. They're not of the same quality as the Celtics, Magic, Nuggets, Rockets or Cavs just because they were among the top 8 teams in a 3 deep conference. For that matter, the Hornets, Jazz, Sixers and Heat really weren't contenders either. Truthfully, the only teams that could have won it this year were the Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, Cavs, Celtics and Magic. So if I were to break it into three categories, I'd say the Lakers are category 1, those 5 other teams are category 2, then everybody else.

In the modern NBA, I'd have to have five categories - champions, legit contenders, longshot contenders, non-contenders and dregs. This year it would go 1- Lakers; 2- Magic, Cavs, Nuggets, Lakers, Rockets; 3- Spurs, Mavericks, Blazers, Jazz, Hawks (differentiation for me isn't based on record but on how a team looks heading into the playoffs - the other playoff teams clearly weren't going anywhere though the Bulls were closest); 4- Bulls, Hornets, Heat, Sixers, Suns, Pistons, Bobcats, Pacers, Nets, Raptors, Bucks, Knicks, Warriors; 5- Timberwolves, ex-Sonics, Grizzlies, Clippers, Wizards, Kings. Of course, back when there were 8-12 teams in the league, you could only have the three, which usually came out 1- Celtics; 2- Lakers, 1 or 2 of Sixers, Hawks, Royals, Warriors; 3- everybody else. If I were to try to numerically evaluate it, I'd give 10 points for a championship, 5 points for being a contender, 3 points for being a longshot contender, 1 point for being a noncontender, 0 for the dregs. Maybe the Lakers come out on top, but at least it more appropriately rewards greatness and punishes absolute futility.

Those are my thoughts. 17 championships are all well and good, but being a non-contender for about 15 straight years in the 90s and 00s is just much much more futility than the Lakers ever had and weighs very heavily for me. (As fun as the 02 Celtics team was, they never had a chance against any of the 8 Western playoff teams that year - I would almost contend there was no real "contender" in the East from 00 through 03). So I can definitely see the argument, and if I wasn't a Celtics fan I might even give it to the Lakers.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
ummmm... everybody is entitled to their own opinion, no? Like I said, so your one of those people that considers the Oklahoma City Thunder to have a championship, right? If you believe that, then we cant take you seriously. Especially with 5 posts under your belt.

The problem with your analogy is that the city of Seattle specifically made it a point to retain all the franchise's accolades in allowing Clay Bennett to move the team to OKC.

Actually, under the agreement, the teams SHARE the franchise's accolades. So at worst, under the reasoning, the Thunder have half a title in their history.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
ummmm... everybody is entitled to their own opinion, no? Like I said, so your one of those people that considers the Oklahoma City Thunder to have a championship, right? If you believe that, then we cant take you seriously. Especially with 5 posts under your belt.

The problem with your analogy is that the city of Seattle specifically made it a point to retain all the franchise's accolades in allowing Clay Bennett to move the team to OKC.
O RLY?!

Hmm. I thought that the Sonics got to keep all of the banners and division titles and the sort. Perhaps I made it up in my head or just misremembered.

Actually, under the agreement, the teams SHARE the franchise's accolades. So at worst, under the reasoning, the Thunder have half a title in their history.

Edit: You're correct, I remembered incorrectly. The Thunder retain ownership of the titles and accolades while Seattle retains only the name and colors.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
Even though I'm an unabashed Laker fan, I'm not above saying that the one franchise we lag behind is the Celtics. We're close, yes, but we lag behind where it counts and that's in titles and head-to-head matchups.

I put a lot of stock in the head-to-head because regardless of what a franchise does otherwise, the base measure of teams is what they do against one another. In that case, we come out far on the losing end. It's just fact. pair it with the 17 > 15 championship deficit and it becomes clear who sits at number one and who is 2nd.

I love my Lakers but I'm also not one to be blinded by a truth I don't want to see.

Nice post.  Good to see common sense prevail.  Let's be honest; the only thing that counts to either franchise is championships.  If the creator of this post wants to believe the Lakers are the better franchise because they've had better seasons then good luck to him.  I've got news for him - nobody cares who had more better seasons.  That may fly in Cleveland or some other places but not in Boston or LA.  It's Championships!  And we have 17 of them.  Case closed.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2009, 04:41:26 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Even though I'm an unabashed Laker fan, I'm not above saying that the one franchise we lag behind is the Celtics. We're close, yes, but we lag behind where it counts and that's in titles and head-to-head matchups.

I put a lot of stock in the head-to-head because regardless of what a franchise does otherwise, the base measure of teams is what they do against one another. In that case, we come out far on the losing end. It's just fact. pair it with the 17 > 15 championship deficit and it becomes clear who sits at number one and who is 2nd.

I love my Lakers but I'm also not one to be blinded by a truth I don't want to see.

Nice post.  Good to see common sense prevail.  Let's be honest; the only thing that counts to either franchise is championships.  If the creator of this post wants to believe the Lakers are the better franchise because they've had better seasons then good luck to him.  I've got news for him - nobody cares who had more better seasons.  That may fly in Cleveland or some other places but not in Boston or LA.  It's Championships!  And we have 17 of them.  Case closed.

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 05:38:10 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
The Celtics are the #1 franchise.  Lakers #2.  I can go into more detail to prove this is true I just don't feel like typing alot right now.  Besides the 17-15 titles, 151-119 regular season matchup, 40-27 playoff matchup, 9-2 playoff series, 21-7 retired numbers, 32-23 hall of famers, all numbers that favor the Celtics, this is the thing that puts that Celtics ahead of the Lakers.  Laker fans always talk about more division & conference titles.  However, in the history of the NBA the Western Conference has had only two teams win more than 1 title. The 90's Rockets and 99-07 Spurs.  That is it.  For 50 out of the 60 years the NBA has been in existence the East has been stronger, so while the Lakers have more divisions and finals appereances and a better overall regular season record it means close to nothing because the West never really had many great teams.   The Celtics on the other hand had to deal with the 60's Warriors w/Wilt, the 70's Knicks, the late 70's-80's 76ers, the 80's Pistons, the 90's Bulls & The 02-07 Pistons.   So when it comes to top teams the East has 7 teams in the top 10 and the West has 3.   No other Western Conference teams ever really made an impact in the NBA they were always one hit wonders, it was only the 90's Rockets and 99-07 Spurs that is it.   7 of the top 10 teams of all-time reside in the East.  That closes the arguement right there, end of discussion.  Just because there is a huge gap between the #2 & #3 NBA Teams of all-time does not mean the Lakers are ahead of the Celtics.  That is part of the longer version, I will get into more specfics when I have time.  This is the short version 131-92:When you are in a battle for best franchise ever and you get totally washed out by 39 points in the biggest lopsided embarrasment in the history of pro sports between two rival franchises you have no bragging rights.   At least make a game of it.  You lose by 39 you will never be #1.  Now lets go get #18.

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »

Offline star18

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 72
You have all these Laker fans that are like yeah we are the best ever blah blah blah, its like no you got crushed by 39 points you had your chance and got demolished.  The Lakers never dominated the Celtics.  The Celtics dominated the Lakers on numerous occasions.   Won 34 out of 36 game against them from 1957-1959. Won 8 Finals in a row against them 1960-1984. Demolished them 131-92 2007-08. The Lakers never won more than 5 in a row against the Celtics.  The Lakers had a big win 137-104 in 1984, but they didn't win that series.   Also, Celtics won both statement games the most important in the two franchise histories.  1969 Game 7 "hold the baloons" and 2008 "TA's reverse dunk puts C's up by 43".  If you are the Lakers you have to come close than 39 points when the gatorade spills triumphiantly on the court otherwise save the best franchise talk for another day, maybe another league, it certainly isn't for this NBA.    CELITCS #1!!!!!!!!

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

Offline Lakers_55

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 4
  • Wilt Chamberlain
I want to thanks everyone who made a reply. Especially those that realize I am not a troll. I have a good reputation at the board of one of our other NBA rivals as one of their best posters. As a matter of fact, I often call out the Lakers trolls that pollute that site, and would do it here if challenged by one my own. My complaint about "Lakers only" boards is, everyone is usually going to agree with me in concept. I like to see what fans of other teams say.

I got a laugh over the Tommy Points jokes you had here at my expense, criticism doesn't bother me at all. Hey, I have 2 of them, whatever they are! If you guys get spammers that want to sell NIKE shoes, as all NBA forums seem to get, maybe I can buy them with my Tommy Points? Whenever I see a good photoshop made that criticizes the Lakers or their players, I usually make a post to credit the creativity. I'll joke about the Lakers myself, and have several stock jokes you just change the names and the teams around. If I am made to feel welcome here, I'll probably share some of those eventually.

To the original topic, that's just how I view things, my opinion. I am just happy it is now a debate who's better, and love reading everyone's opinions on it. Maybe the next ten years can see a rebirth of the Lakers and Celtics rivalries of the 60's and the 80's. I am old enough to remember the end of the 60's.

So, mostly I am here for the reads available. Of course, I will live up to my  promise to always be respectful to the fans here, and your favorite team.

Thanks for reading this and the thread!

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2009, 02:49:54 AM »

Offline lakers fan

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
2009 title has an asterisk next to it.  It's called Kevin Garnett.
Then the 2008 title has an aterisk next to it. It's called Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum.

PS. Good post :). And good to the celtics fans who didnt start flaming and talking smack.

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2009, 03:45:36 AM »

Offline EatSleepBreatheGreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • Men lie, women lie, numbers don't!
Then the 2008 title has an aterisk next to it. It's called Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum.

PS. Good post :). And good to the celtics fans who didnt start flaming and talking smack.

::)

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:17 AM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
The Celtics are the #1 franchise.  Lakers #2.  I can go into more detail to prove this is true I just don't feel like typing alot right now.  Besides the 17-15 titles, 151-119 regular season matchup, 40-27 playoff matchup, 9-2 playoff series, 21-7 retired numbers, 32-23 hall of famers, all numbers that favor the Celtics, this is the thing that puts that Celtics ahead of the Lakers.  Laker fans always talk about more division & conference titles.  However, in the history of the NBA the Western Conference has had only two teams win more than 1 title. The 90's Rockets and 99-07 Spurs.  That is it.  For 50 out of the 60 years the NBA has been in existence the East has been stronger, so while the Lakers have more divisions and finals appereances and a better overall regular season record it means close to nothing because the West never really had many great teams.   The Celtics on the other hand had to deal with the 60's Warriors w/Wilt, the 70's Knicks, the late 70's-80's 76ers, the 80's Pistons, the 90's Bulls & The 02-07 Pistons.   So when it comes to top teams the East has 7 teams in the top 10 and the West has 3.   No other Western Conference teams ever really made an impact in the NBA they were always one hit wonders, it was only the 90's Rockets and 99-07 Spurs that is it.   7 of the top 10 teams of all-time reside in the East.  That closes the arguement right there, end of discussion.  Just because there is a huge gap between the #2 & #3 NBA Teams of all-time does not mean the Lakers are ahead of the Celtics.  That is part of the longer version, I will get into more specfics when I have time.  This is the short version 131-92:When you are in a battle for best franchise ever and you get totally washed out by 39 points in the biggest lopsided embarrasment in the history of pro sports between two rival franchises you have no bragging rights.   At least make a game of it.  You lose by 39 you will never be #1.  Now lets go get #18.

This is EXACTLY CORRECT---for years, the Lakers Waltzed into the Finals--cause they had almost ZERO competition in the Weak WEST...Let's look close @ the 80's for this...Boston had to go through Philly(Dr.J/Moses/Cheeks/Toney/Barkley)..Detroit/Chicago---even Atlanta(Wilkins) and Milwaukee were Better than the teams in the West, that the Lakers had to "Fight" their way through....How many Titles would the Lakers & Celtics have now-if they had been in different conferences back then?...Ha, Team of the 80's my Butt...C's also had to play MORE regular season games against WAY better competition back then...it's only been the last 10 years that the West has been better.

So, the C's hadn't been to the Finals for 20+ years--maybe because our 2 BEST players/prospects actually DIED.

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2009, 05:38:04 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Ah, yes. Andrew Bynum aka Difference Maker.

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2009, 06:56:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Ah, yes. Andrew Bynum aka Difference Maker.
How'd he do in the 2009 playoffs?  ::)

And Ariza did play in 2008, pretty well in for some stretches.

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Shouldn't the Celtics 9-2 edge against the Lakers be referred to as the 9-2 edge?

The 9 needs to be bold, because of the dominating way that the Celtics have won.

Take 2008, where the 39 point trouncing of the Lakers set a record for NBA Finals clinchers....

(oh, and the prior record? the Celtics 33 point trouncing of the Lakers in the 1965 finals  8) ).
Celtics fan for life.