Author Topic: Assuming no cap space, what big can trading Brown fetch us?  (Read 6276 times)

Re: Assuming no cap space, what big can trading Brown fetch us?
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
As others have mentioned, salary matching would play a big part here. You could go for somebody like Sabonis, but his contract ends when Jaylen's does and I'm not sure his ceiling is as high as Jaylen's.

I don't see it likely, but there were a number of solid bigs in last year's draft (Ayton, Bagley, JJJ) that would have an additional 2 years left on their rookie contracts. I can't imagine any of them would be available for Jaylen straight up, but it's not like we are short on picks to offer.

There is always the nuclear option of Tatum/Smart/picks for Towns, but I don't think he is available.

More likely, we stick with our wing heavy line-up and see if Tatum/Brown can take off.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:45 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Sabonis straight up would be interesting.  Value is close IMHO.

Danny wouldn’t trade Brown for Leonard, why would he trade him for Sabonis?  How is it fair value?  I don’t follow Indy much so I’m asking in all honesty.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 12:52:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Danny wouldn’t trade Brown for Leonard, why would he trade him for Sabonis?  How is it fair value?  I don’t follow Indy much so I’m asking in all honesty.
The biggest difference is that Sabonis is under team control via RFA for another 3 years same as Jaylen.

I do not think that is a trade I would do however, I like Jaylen's talent too much and you need more than 2 wings.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 12:54:35 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
No one good enough to justify trading him.
TP

My thoughts exactly. When you factor in the greater need for wings in the modern NBA and Jaylen's talent level I don't see a trade that makes sense.

Not unless Danny has already decided to not pay him, which would be a poor decision imo.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 12:56:50 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
Why the hell are we trading Brown or Tatum.  You only move them for a superstar that is going to help win you a championship.  That ship has sailed and we are building around Brown.  People better get used to it.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 12:58:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Why the hell are we trading Brown or Tatum.  You only move them for a superstar that is going to help win you a championship.  That ship has sailed and we are building around Brown.  People better get used to it.

So who do you think the Celts can get in a trade for Brown?

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 07:52:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Is this because...Brown can become that superstar that will help us win a championship?

Maybe I’m evaluating Brown wrongly but I think he ends up with at most, maybe a couple of all star appearances in his career as opposed to this nigh untradeable perennial all star who will help us bring home a championship. His trade value is as high as it’s ever going to be though, imo (especially on that rookie RFA contract). The longer you wait, the less “potential” he has left and the more expensive his contract is.

Tatum OTOH, I can see being a perennial all star. You hold on to Tatum.

- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I'm sorry but I'm just not as high on Brown as others on this site.

I think Tatum is far more talented, as is Hayward.

I know Brown had a good year, has improved his shooting and is good at attacking the basket, but I also don't see him as a player to build a team around. I'm also still wondering if he was the right choice to draft over Jamal Murray or Buddy Hield.

He's not a shooting guard. He's definitely a small forward but think he's 3rd best behind Tatum and Hayward.

I DO believe if Tatum has a better season and becomes more basketball intelligent, he can be a big star.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 08:42:50 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Is this because...Brown can become that superstar that will help us win a championship?

Maybe I’m evaluating Brown wrongly but I think he ends up with at most, maybe a couple of all star appearances in his career as opposed to this nigh untradeable perennial all star who will help us bring home a championship. His trade value is as high as it’s ever going to be though, imo (especially on that rookie RFA contract). The longer you wait, the less “potential” he has left and the more expensive his contract is.

Tatum OTOH, I can see being a perennial all star. You hold on to Tatum.
Brown and Tatum both have a lot of potential.  Brown's shown more though in the sense he's more of a 2-way player than Tatum has shown.  that, and Brown turned it around as the season progressed, including the playoffs.  Tatum, not so much. 

Even if he gets 'just' 2 all-star appearances, in a league crowded with talented wings, that's impressive and 2 more all-star appearances than any big men you're trading him for.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 08:48:23 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Capela?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 08:53:08 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

The biggest difference is that Sabonis is under team control via RFA for another 3 years same as Jaylen.

I do not think that is a trade I would do however, I like Jaylen's talent too much and you need more than 2 wings.
Sabonis averaged 14/9/3 in just under 25 minutes a game while having a TS% of 63.  He has taken a big jump all 3 of his seasons and that includes improved defensive efficiency.  He is also a big guy which is far more a position of need. 

I'd do Brown for Sabonis straight up and wouldn't give it a second thought. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

Sabonis averaged 14/9/3 in just under 25 minutes a game while having a TS% of 63.  He has taken a big jump all 3 of his seasons and that includes improved defensive efficiency.  He is also a big guy which is far more a position of need. 

^this

Or how about that kid from Atlanta?
- LilRip

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 10:12:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

^this

Or how about that kid from Atlanta?
please, be more vague. i can almost guess whom you are talking about given the info above.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I love Saboner, but I'd rather keep Brown due to his high ceiling at SG. His size advantage at the position will make him immensely valuable.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

best answer yet. if the celtics need to throw in a bit more (a just drafted kid or a draft choice) that is okay too.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva