Author Topic: Cauley Stein?  (Read 4457 times)

Re: WCS and Randle fit the needs and timeline
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2019, 04:08:54 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I really don't get this whole "timeline" thing like everybody has to be the same age to win. When did that start? Why do teams like to get vets much older around the trade deadline? I think the timeline thing is nonsense, except for timelord who needs to be on a timeline.

Well that's because nobody is saying that.  You don't need players that are all around the same age in order to win, but if we're more than a couple of years from contention then it makes sense to try to get guys that will be in/near their primes at the same time. Adding a older players now doesn't really make much sense, since by the time a team built around the Jays will be ready to contend they would be exiting or out of their prime.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't add an older player (the young guys will need an experienced vet to look up to with Horford gone), but it does mean that we shouldn't look to add an older player as a major piece

Trading for the final piece at the deadline while you're contending and signing an older player to a big/long contract while you're rebuilding are totally different situations
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I really don't get this whole "timeline" thing like everybody has to be the same age to win. When did that start? Why do teams like to get vets much older around the trade deadline? I think the timeline thing is nonsense, except for timelord who needs to be on a timeline.
TP.

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 04:22:35 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I'd rather have Bobby Portis than Randle.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 04:25:23 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like both of those guys, I think we could add them both and have them take up all of our center minutes. A big man rotation of Randle, WCS, and the Williams bros is probably a good enough big man rotation provided we play a lot of 3 wing lineups as I expect.

I would limit the minutes that either plays together because there probably isn't enough shooting with the two of them next to each other.

It would be shocking if we didn't start Brown, Tatum and Hayward, so I'm not interested in starting both of WCS and Randle
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
Simply put,  he can play facing the basket and has a decent jumper 16 to18 ft out

That's how he spreads

I found this so odd that I went to check  the numbers.

Willie Cauley-Stein shot .069 of his attempts from 16ft out to the 3pt line (and .065 from 10-16ft).  That's less than 7%.

He made 35.3% of those shots (35.4% from 10-16ft, and 31% from 3ft to 10ft, so he's equally horrid at everything that isn't a lay-up or a dunk).

That means that last season he shot 28 two-pointers from beyond 16ft. And he made 10 of them.

That's one shot every 8 games. A player isn't spreading much by hitting a midrange every two weeks.

(even if you every shot from 10ft out - he only made 19 of them)

That line-up could contend for worst offense in the NBA. That combination of lack of playmaking, dribble-penetration, passing and shooting would be absolutely deadly.

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2019, 05:53:36 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
WCS agent wants him to move on from Sac, het a new start. I love the fact that WCS is a 7ftr who can pass, spread and defend. Randle would look good next to him... as he can rebound and get to the rim.

Both guys fit the age timeline

BOS still has space for a facilitator at PG

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

We can’t afford both Randle & WCS.  They are going to get some where around 15 million per and you think you’re getting a fascilitator too?  Good luck with that.  Plus WCS is a RFA and won’t be traded without a S&T involved.  Sacramento  won’t let him walk for free

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2019, 06:17:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I love the fact that WCS is a 7ftr who can pass, spread and defend.

How exactly does he spread?  He took two three point shots last year and made one of them.   Classic case of not looking in depth at a stat

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2019, 06:50:16 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Randle play zero defense. No Thanks
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
I don’t like WCS.  I think that’s enough to pass on him

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I don’t like WCS.  I think that’s enough to pass on him

Tp
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2019, 08:14:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

Randle play zero defense. No Thanks

I agree Randle played no defense. I'm not a fan. Portis needs much improvement on that end but he plays defense. I should tries to play defense....

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 09:22:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Another poster brought up Cauley Stein and I think it's a good idea.

If Vuc stays in Orlando, Cauley Stein would give us size, athleticism, shot blocking and rebounding in the paint.

Not a bad idea. I also like the idea of either Portis or Randle at the 4.

I wonder if Stevens would consider going with Hayward at the 2, Tatum at the 3 and a free agent at the 4 and 5 with Jaylen Brown as the 6th man?

I would because I think Brown is better equipped coming off the bench.

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 09:23:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
WCS agent wants him to move on from Sac, het a new start. I love the fact that WCS is a 7ftr who can pass, spread and defend. Randle would look good next to him... as he can rebound and get to the rim.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

What about Hayward? Because I'm pretty sure he won't be coming off the bench again while making $32 mil next season.

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 09:25:42 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Yeah, I agree. The two phrases I see the most that grind my gears are "the timeline" and "asset collection mode."

Didn't realize so many prerequisites needed to be passed to put a winning basketball team on the court

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 09:44:45 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

We can’t afford both Randle & WCS.  They are going to get some where around 15 million per and you think you’re getting a fascilitator too?  Good luck with that.  Plus WCS is a RFA and won’t be traded without a S&T involved.  Sacramento  won’t let him walk for free

If we renounce Rozier we could have up to 35 million is open cap space. So technically, if we were to give 15 mil each to Randle and WCS, we would still have 5 mil in cap space and the BAE (or MLE I’m not sure which we are at if we use just cap space) to use on a facilitator.