Author Topic: Cauley Stein?  (Read 4461 times)

Cauley Stein?
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:33:25 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27034700/willie-move-on

Sounds like he wants out of SAC. 25 years old, super versatile defender who could start until Williams or Williams is ready.

He's not worth too big of a contract, but might fit a need and get along well with our young players. Seems to have improved into a pretty solid role player since he was drafted.

Thoughts?

Re: Cauley Stein?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 12:39:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
His market will be around 12-14 million per. Someone might pay up to 17mill - but I doubt it.

P.S He is restricted - he will take the biggest offer, so it's irrelevant if he "wants out"
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 12:44:51 AM »

Offline ozman

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Apart from shooting, he does alot of things Brad likes; he can switch out onto guards, defends the PnR, runs the floor and rebounds. Also a pretty good passer.

I'd take a flyer on him as it allows us to play Hayward, Tatum or G. Williams at the 4 as apposed to next to vucivec which could be pretty bad defensively.

Also fits the timeline

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 12:46:12 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
I like Cauley Stien if signed to a favorable contract. I also read about Vincent Poirier:

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-reportedly-among-teams-interested-signing-french-center-vincent-poirier?cid=Yahoo&partner=ya4nbcs

Vincent Poirier looks like a big fairly mobil fundamentally sound euro bigman. He wouldn't be a bad backup. Poorman's Steven Adams...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 12:52:28 AM by liam »

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 12:53:25 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Apart from shooting, he does alot of things Brad likes; he can switch out onto guards, defends the PnR, runs the floor and rebounds. Also a pretty good passer.

I'd take a flyer on him as it allows us to play Hayward, Tatum or G. Williams at the 4 as apposed to next to vucivec which could be pretty bad defensively.

Also fits the timeline

Yeah, I like the idea of Cauley-Stein. He runs the floor well and can climb the ladder, and is very athletic and plays good D.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 01:25:38 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
His market will be around 12-14 million per. Someone might pay up to 17mill - but I doubt it.

P.S He is restricted - he will take the biggest offer, so it's irrelevant if he "wants out"

Yes, that's true - but the point of the article being that he has asked the team not to extend him a qualifying offer. They still can, but that's kinda unusual.

WCS and Randle fit the needs and timeline
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »

Offline BOSuprhand

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
WCS agent wants him to move on from Sac, het a new start. I love the fact that WCS is a 7ftr who can pass, spread and defend. Randle would look good next to him... as he can rebound and get to the rim.

Both guys fit the age timeline

BOS still has space for a facilitator at PG

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

Re: WCS and Randle fit the needs and timeline
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 02:39:05 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
WCS agent wants him to move on from Sac, het a new start. I love the fact that WCS is a 7ftr who can pass, spread and defend. Randle would look good next to him... as he can rebound and get to the rim.

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

How does he spread???
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS

How does he spread???

I don't want to know.... :o

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »

Offline BOSuprhand

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 2
Simply put,  he can play facing the basket and has a decent jumper 16 to18 ft out

That's how he spreads

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 02:51:54 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I prefer that than anything else

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 03:30:59 PM »

Offline Pvictor11

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 62
Simply put,  he can play facing the basket and has a decent jumper 16 to18 ft out

That's how he spreads
He is 4/18 from 3 pt land for his whole 4 year nba career. He does not spread the floor at all.
Spreading the floor is not when a guy hit an occasional mid range jumper. A player spreads the floor when the opposing team expect that the guy will shoot a 3 pt when given the opportunity and make at a reasonable rate.
It's about general perception, not a made jump shot every 3 or 4 games.
Kelly Olynyk spreads the floor because teams know that he can shoot from distance and is a real threat on the perimeter, if he faked less and shot more it would be better for him, but I think I made my point.
WCS will not spread the floor for you if he is on your team. You can bet money on it

Randle shoots more than him, but does not spread the floor also. Watch some vídeos of him. He plays bully ball all the time. His game relies on post ups and driving and throwing his body on the defender for tough layups.

I would rather have Dedmon and Thaddeus Young than those 2
Brazilian Celtic Fan!

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 03:49:42 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I really don't get this whole "timeline" thing like everybody has to be the same age to win. When did that start? Why do teams like to get vets much older around the trade deadline? I think the timeline thing is nonsense, except for timelord who needs to be on a timeline.

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
WCS I can see on this team. Randle I don't want near us. Can't defend, won't get the ball enough on offense to be a positive. I'd rather keep Morris for probably less!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 04:01:12 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Randle
WCS
Sending Hayward back to the bench for WCS?