Author Topic: How about Thomas Bryant?  (Read 5766 times)

How about Thomas Bryant?
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thomas Bryant is a restricted free agent. Thing is, the Wizards have only early Bird rights, hence they can offer him up to $9,073,050 (=105% of the league average salary in the previous season).

Wizards have only "early Bird" rights. From CBAFAQ.COM - The Early Bird exception allows teams to re-sign their own free agent for up to 175% of his previous salary (in Bryant's case $2,411,923); OR 105% of the league average salary in the previous season ($9,073,050). Since Bryant is a Restricted Free Agent (RFA), the Wizards can offer him a salary, or match any offer up to $9,073,050. The contract can be up to 4-years with raises of up to 8% of the salary in the first year of the contract (other teams can only offer 5% raises). The Wizards can match any offer up to $9,073,050; HOWEVER another team could offer Bryant a larger contract using cap space, and the Wizards would be unable to match.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/2/10/18219817/bird-rights-or-lack-thereof-will-limit-what-the-wizards-can-offer

I'd be happy with Vuc as well, but I wouldn't pay him max money to come here. In terms of value for money, it seems that Bryant would be the superior choice (assuming other teams don't drive up the price).

- super efficient around the basket (led the league in two-point percentage at 69%)

- I remember him having a nice mid range game in college. He ain't shooting mid range jumpers in the NBA, but he's trying to expand his range up to the 3 pt line (33.3% from three in 1.4 attempts per game)

- 78.1% (107-137) from the free throw line which confirms his potential as a shooter

- elite physical tools
Height w/o Shoes     6' 9.5''
Height w/ Shoes 6' 10.75''
Wingspan 7' 6'' (!)
Standing Reach 9' 4.5''
Hand Length 9.5    
Hand Width 10.25 (in comparison, Mo Bamba's hand length and width were measured at 9.75 and 10.25 respectively)

- turns 22 next month. Fits the time frame of our young core (Tatum, Brown, hopefully Langford, Williams etc)

Re: How about Thomas Bryant?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:03:54 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Thomas Bryant is a restricted free agent. Thing is, the Wizards have only early Bird rights, hence they can offer him up to $9,073,050 (=105% of the league average salary in the previous season).

Wizards have only "early Bird" rights. From CBAFAQ.COM - The Early Bird exception allows teams to re-sign their own free agent for up to 175% of his previous salary (in Bryant's case $2,411,923); OR 105% of the league average salary in the previous season ($9,073,050). Since Bryant is a Restricted Free Agent (RFA), the Wizards can offer him a salary, or match any offer up to $9,073,050. The contract can be up to 4-years with raises of up to 8% of the salary in the first year of the contract (other teams can only offer 5% raises). The Wizards can match any offer up to $9,073,050; HOWEVER another team could offer Bryant a larger contract using cap space, and the Wizards would be unable to match.
https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/2/10/18219817/bird-rights-or-lack-thereof-will-limit-what-the-wizards-can-offer

I'd be happy with Vuc as well, but I wouldn't pay him max money to come here. In terms of value for money, it seems that Bryant would be the superior choice (assuming other teams don't drive up the price).

- super efficient around the basket (led the league in two-point percentage at 69%)

- I remember him having a nice mid range game in college. He ain't shooting mid range jumpers in the NBA, but he's trying to expand his range up to the 3 pt line (33.3% from three in 1.4 attempts per game)

- 78.1% (107-137) from the free throw line which confirms his potential as a shooter

- elite physical tools
Wingspan 7' 6'' (!)
Standing Reach 9' 4.5''
Hand Length 9.5    
Hand Width 10.25 (in comparison, Mo Bamba's hand length and width were measured at 9.75 and 10.25 respectively)

- turns 22 next month. Fits the time frame of our young core (Tatum, Brown, hopefully Langford, Williams etc)

absolutely please.

Bryant is my binkie.

i firmly believe that with the 0plus mill available we could have bryant and randle as opposed to just vooch

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 08:05:34 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I thought Thomas Bryant was older than that and I didn't know how much Washington was allowed to match.

Signing Bryant for like 10-12 million salary on a 4 year deal can be golden. He's really big, potential solution to Embiid, according to some stats he has already done a good job against him.

I was hoping to find our center of the future via the draft, but Bryant can be that as well. Much better option than signing Vucevic. Washington would be SO p---ed with us if we snatched him away.

Ah well, they already hate us  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:11:10 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

- elite physical tools
Wingspan 7' 6'' (!)
Standing Reach 9' 4.5''
Hand Length 9.5    

absolutely please.

Bryant is my binkie.

i firmly believe that with the 0plus mill available we could have bryant and randle as opposed to just vooch

We're on the same page a lot  ;). TP.

If we can sign Randle/Bryant as our new longterm frontcourt duo I'm ready to forget all about the draft, Irving/Horford departures, missing out on Davis, etc.

Randle/Bryant is theoretically very possible, but also a dream scenario. And if there's one thing I've learned is that a dream scenario (how realistic it might be) often stays a dream.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

- elite physical tools
Wingspan 7' 6'' (!)
Standing Reach 9' 4.5''
Hand Length 9.5    

absolutely please.

Bryant is my binkie.

We're on the same page a lot  ;). TP.

If we can sign Randle/Bryant as our new longterm frontcourt duo I'm ready to forget all about the draft, Irving/Horford departures, missing out on Davis, etc.

Randle/Bryant is theoretically very possible, but also a dream scenario. And if there's one thing I've learned is that a dream scenario (how realistic it might be) often stays a dream.

back at ya.

it is purely a dream, but a bryant and williams front court would be really nice too.

i think bryant has to be a target at this point and it saves enough money to fill other needs.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:16:31 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
Yes. I read this salary stuff about Bryant elsewhere and thought it was a perfect opportunity for Boston.

Of course, there will be other teams making offers, but Boston would be a perfect situation for him.

I do wonder why he was a low draft pick and then waived by the Lakers. The Lakers are a mess, but waiving him seems pretty drastic. Also, despite his emergence Washington was pretty awful last season.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:26:14 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Yes. I read this salary stuff about Bryant elsewhere and thought it was a perfect opportunity for Boston.

Of course, there will be other teams making offers, but Boston would be a perfect situation for him.

I do wonder why he was a low draft pick and then waived by the Lakers. The Lakers are a mess, but waiving him seems pretty drastic. Also, despite his emergence Washington was pretty awful last season.

Let’s just sign all the Lakers ex draft picks Bryant, Randle, and Russell.  Am I missing anyone? Lol ;D

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 08:40:27 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

The Lakers traded Ivica Zubac at Feb 7th for two months of Mike Muscala  ::), after averaging 20/10 (per 36) over December/January!

I wouldn't take Lakers' talent evaluation seriously. They do drastic things even when they don't know it. Apparently they don't need to care about avoiding making mistakes like other franchises.

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
That’s interesting! TP.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 09:15:51 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22

The Lakers traded Ivica Zubac at Feb 7th for two months of Mike Muscala  ::), after averaging 20/10 (per 36) over December/January!

I wouldn't take Lakers' talent evaluation seriously. They do drastic things even when they don't know it. Apparently they don't need to care about avoiding making mistakes like other franchises.

Yeah. I don't put any value into the Lakers assessment of him.
I looked at his profile on nbadraft.net entering the 2017 draft. The major criticism of him was his defensive play. I don't know what his defensive performance was like in Washington last season. I'm sure the Celtics have plenty of film of him to look at and decide if they want to spend over $10M per year for him

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 09:17:20 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Haven’t seen any evaluation of his NBA experience, but this strengths/weaknesses clip from DX is interesting. If you watch the strengths be sure to watch the weaknesses too. There’s a reason he was picked 41st. Lacked feel for the game, vertical pop, lacked touch as a finisher - number of shots of him getting blocked or firing the ball at the backboard. OTOH, long, very physical, willing screener, pretty good looking release to his catch and shoot 3.

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12801/

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 09:44:24 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Yeah. I don't put any value into the Lakers assessment of him.
I looked at his profile on nbadraft.net entering the 2017 draft. The major criticism of him was his defensive play. I don't know what his defensive performance was like in Washington last season. I'm sure the Celtics have plenty of film of him to look at and decide if they want to spend over $10M per year for him

Defense needs work.

Still a bit raw there, but he improved iver the season.

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Haven’t seen any evaluation of his NBA experience, but this strengths/weaknesses clip from DX is interesting. If you watch the strengths be sure to watch the weaknesses too. There’s a reason he was picked 41st. Lacked feel for the game, vertical pop, lacked touch as a finisher - number of shots of him getting blocked or firing the ball at the backboard. OTOH, long, very physical, willing screener, pretty good looking release to his catch and shoot 3.

http://www.draftexpress.com/video/12801/

He has shown marked improvements already, at 21 years of age one can safely assume it will continue. Kid is hungry for the game

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 10:27:15 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

And they're somehow title contenders now, with the potential to land a third max money player.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:37 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
I would love to see Bryant join the team