Author Topic: Tatum as the starting PF  (Read 6484 times)

Tatum as the starting PF
« on: June 21, 2019, 12:24:02 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
For what it's worth, the chatter about how Tatum can't possibly play the 4 and it will stunt his development - I don't think playing the 4 in our system means rotating between the block and high post. Guys will be all over the floor, Tatum will play at the top of the key, corner, wing, some time in the block or high post, etc. He'll match up against the opposing 4, which in many cases is not exactly a banger. Quick review of starting PFs in the east last season. I starred the names I thought were clearly "more of a traditional PF" than Tatum:

MIL: Giannis/Middleton, depending on your definition
TOR: Pascal Siakam
PHI: Tobias Harris (borderline)
BKN: DeMarre Carroll
NYK: Lance Thomas*
IND: Thaddeus Young*
DET: Blake Griffin*
CHI: Lauri Markkanen*
CLE: Kevin Love*
ORL: Aaron Gordon*
MIA: Kelly Olynyk (right..??)
CHA: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
WAS: Markieff Morris*
ATL: John Collins*

On that list, names with the asterisk - not a lot of winning teams. Orlando, Detroit, Philly and Indy were the playoff teams that featured a "more typical" PF - and still, not really. Gordon is flawed and is more of a 3/4. Thad Young is a 4, but he's 6'8". Harris was on the wing jacking threes. Blake was running the offense and also shooting jumpers.

The PF position is not what it used to be. And with defensive rotations, there aren't going to be a lot of 1-on-1 post ups where Kevin Love is feasting on Tatum in the block. Love is probably the nominal center on most lineups, for example. We need a big body/rim protector in the starting lineup, at the 5. I don't care about the 4.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

Re: Tatum as the starting PF
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:24:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Tatum needs to gain 10-15 pounds, and bulk up... He will get destroyed against stronger bigs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Tatum needs to be on the wing with the ball. Andbwhile technically, offensively at least, a pf can play outside on offense, they still need to get inside defensively.

Who on that list is tatum slowing down?

Demarre carolle maybe?

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Why can't they just pick up a true power forward and help out in the front court. Easier than just having wings play a position they're not used to.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Why can't they just pick up a true power forward and help out in the front court. Easier than just having wings play a position they're not used to.

They did. His name is Grant Williams.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 12:30:23 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Tatum needs to be on the wing with the ball. Andbwhile technically, offensively at least, a pf can play outside on offense, they still need to get inside defensively.

Demarre carolle maybe?

Opposing PFs are often on the perimeter, so the defender will be out there, too. I don't have the numbers but my guess is that for most teams, most lineups involved one proper big man down low and others who rotated in and out, at most.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
Agreed.  If we went with one more traditional big, I think this lineup would be really nice:

5- Vucevic, Adams, or Bob Williams
4- Tatum
3- Hayward
2- Brown
1- Smart

With Semi, Yabu, and another PG off the bench.

I like that team.  It took PG13 about 2 years to really come back from his injury.  If Hayward can be 90% of what he was his last year in Utah and our young guys can play like we thought they should have last year - I like our chances.

Demarre carolle maybe?

Opposing PFs are often on the perimeter, so the defender will be out there, too. I don't have the numbers but my guess is that for most teams, most lineups involved one proper big man down low and others who rotated in and out, at most.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I think Tatum would get eaten alive as a 4.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 02:30:52 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

I see the logic, but I think in the 2019-20 season, probably not. Not a lot of Karl Malones out there any longer.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If Tatum, Hayward, and Brown are all here, I want them on the court together as much as possible. This is the strength of the team. Let our opponents try to match up with them.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I agree, which is why I don't see how we enter the season with Hayward and Tatum. Both guys are small forwards and both guys need to start. Having a 6'8 power forward is a recipe for 30 point blowout losses. Maybe Danny deals Hayward for Kevin Love?

I don't know.

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Demarre carolle maybe?

Maybe Caroll O'Connor

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2019, 02:38:16 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
If Tatum, Hayward, and Brown are all here, I want them on the court together as much as possible. This is the strength of the team. Let our opponents try to match up with them.

Exactly, we need to try to dictate the pace and style of game more.  If there is a big guy on Tatum, then he needs to break him down off the dribble.  That is why Tatum getting a better handle and becoming a better passer is so important to us.

Next year Tatum is going to be getting a lot of double teams because we don't have Kyrie or Horford anymore.  Unless some really good offensive center gets signed, Tatum and Brown both need to be working on their handles and their passing out of the double teams this summer.

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 02:39:54 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I agree, which is why I don't see how we enter the season with Hayward and Tatum. Both guys are small forwards and both guys need to start. Having a 6'8 power forward is a recipe for 30 point blowout losses. Maybe Danny deals Hayward for Kevin Love?

I don't know.

I get your point, but would we really be better with K Love at the 4?  He isn't a good defender.  I would feel better with GH guarding a 4 than K love.

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 02:43:00 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
If both Tatum and Hayward start, it will be Hayward defending the other team's bigger, slower, more interior forward (the "PF"). Tatum will be defending the more perimeter oriented one. Lots of switching. It was alreayd like this last season.

On offense, Boston will play 4out, so the distinction between forwards is meaningless.

Starting a Tatum/Hayward 3/4 combo can be fine depending on the other players, especially who is the 5.