Author Topic: Steven Adams and a PG??  (Read 2831 times)

Steven Adams and a PG??
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I'm not sure if this would work (in fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't), but could Boston in theory sign Malcolm Brogdan in free Agency and then do a sign-and-trade sending Al Horford to OKC for Steven Adams?

Alternatively, could Boston do a sign-and-trade for D Russel with Kyrie AND another for Steven Adams with Horford?

Re: Steven Adams and a PG??
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Adams seems to be available only for the purpose of cutting payroll.  This doesn't do it.

But I wouldn't be surprised by trading for Adams and a future 1st for just cap space.  Then resign Rozier or use the hold value for a backup pg.

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 10:41:42 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I'm not sure that OKC would trade him away without getting a big in return? Otherwise they are awfully thin at C

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 10:43:40 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
I'd be good with Adams and Rozier coming back.  I think that OKC would genuinely consider the Horford Sign and Trade though.  Horford's second option was OKC before he signed with Boston last time.  He has the Billy D Connection.  And Horford would actually fit in really well with Russell, Ferguson, George, and Grant.  I think that would be a solid move for both teams - Celtics resetting their timeline and OKC in "win-now" mode.

Adams seems to be available only for the purpose of cutting payroll.  This doesn't do it.

But I wouldn't be surprised by trading for Adams and a future 1st for just cap space.  Then resign Rozier or use the hold value for a backup pg.

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm not sure if this would work (in fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't), but could Boston in theory sign Malcolm Brogdan in free Agency and then do a sign-and-trade sending Al Horford to OKC for Steven Adams?

Alternatively, could Boston do a sign-and-trade for D Russel with Kyrie AND another for Steven Adams with Horford?

No.  Acquiring a player in a sign-and-trade consigns you to the hard cap, and OKC is way above that level.  Additionally, signing-and-trading Horford would require us to keep his cap hold on our books, meaning we do not have any cap space to sign Brogdon (or any other player) with.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
Wasn't aware that you'd be hard-capped with a sign-and-trade.  Thanks for the info!

No.  Acquiring a player in a sign-and-trade consigns you to the hard cap, and OKC is way above that level.  Additionally, signing-and-trading Horford would require us to keep his cap hold on our books, meaning we do not have any cap space to sign Brogdon (or any other player) with.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Is this the fall back if they don't like what they see in FA

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 11:49:55 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I suspect this is the plan.  fill C and PG with Adams and Rozier.  Adams nets another asset and is only on the books for 2 years and Rozier can be resigned by matching any offers regardless of our cap room. 

where this could get poopy is if someone throws ridiculous $ at Rozier but I think that's a longshot since whomever it is would risk being stuck with Rozier if we don't match

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:58:26 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I suspect this is the plan.  fill C and PG with Adams and Rozier.  Adams nets another asset and is only on the books for 2 years and Rozier can be resigned by matching any offers regardless of our cap room. 

where this could get poopy is if someone throws ridiculous $ at Rozier but I think that's a longshot since whomever it is would risk being stuck with Rozier if we don't match

Not to mention the Celtics could trade him if they are not in the playoff contention if they are willing to take salary back.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 03:58:18 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37

I'd be good with both these ideas. :) I truly doubt OKC would take on the salary that Horford wants...it would be more than they are paying Adams and they want to reduce their payroll, not increase it!

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

I'd be good with both these ideas. :) I truly doubt OKC would take on the salary that Horford wants...it would be more than they are paying Adams and they want to reduce their payroll, not increase it!

It's too bad because Horford is the exact type of player that OKC needs to improve.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 05:13:05 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

It's too bad because Horford is the exact type of player that OKC needs to improve.
I think OKC ownership is not happy with another giant tax bill(I have seen numbers as high as $61 million this year), especially when it looks like the George and Westbrook pairing doesn't look like a contending pair. Their #1 desire this summer will be to move a contract into someone else's space as they will be a luxury tax repeater next year again, with a tax bill nearing $90-100 million if they don't shred salary.

Hey, as long as OKC wants to move salary how about trading Brown for Paul George. Saves tons of money this year while still giving OKC a quality player. They might want Tatum but with Tatum maybe we grab a future unprotected 1st.

I know. No chance, but if OKC is desperate to move salary but they want to remain a bit competitive, maybe moving George for Brown or Tatum makes sense financially for them. Boston then has control of a top 10 NBA player for 2-3 years.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 05:27:23 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 05:22:38 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I think OKC ownership is not happy with another giant tax bill(I have seen numbers as high as $61 million this year), especially when it looks like the George and Westbrook pairing doesn't look like a contending pair. Their #1 desire this summer will be to move a contract into someone else's space as they will be a luxury tax repeater next year again, with a tax bill nearing $90-100 million if they don't shred salary.

Hey, as long as OKC wants to move salary how about trading Brown for Paul George. Saves tons of money this year while still giving OKC a quality player. They might want Tatum but with Tatum maybe we grab a future unprotected 1st.

I know. No chance, but if OKC is desperate to move salary but they want to remain a bit competitive, maybe moving George for Brown or Tatum makes sense financially for them. Boston then has control of a top 10 NBA player for 2-3

not a bad idea ....PG is a scoring machine .   

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I know. No chance, but if OKC is desperate to move salary but they want to remain a bit competitive, maybe moving George for Brown or Tatum makes sense financially for them. Boston then has control of a top 10 NBA player for 2-3 years.

I was thinking the same thing about PG13. Trying to figure out why the Horford talks turned so fast. I'm Wondering if some thing is like this in the works, and they let Horford in on it, and he's down with signing a small contract after they use his money to grab PG13.

Yeah it's a long shot, but he wants to win now. LA I don't think will be able to afford him, Not sure about Golden State, Clippers can, but unless they get Leonard they aren't contending. Bucks/JAzz/Rockets can't swing it. Kings/Dallas/Hawks want him  and can afford him, but he doesn't make them contenders.

Plus there was that weird tweet from his sister repeating what DA said about not being able to say some things.

I think PG13 puts us over the edge, maybe get Rubio on a small contract.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550

I think given the other ways OKC has of shedding salary like Adam's or Schroeder they would probably prefer to keep their All NBA first team forward. But stranger things have happened.