Author Topic: 2015-16 EPL Season  (Read 72084 times)

Re: 2015-16 EPL Season
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2015, 12:21:19 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How did Spurs blew a 2 - nil lead with 15 minutes left in the match??? So Mich for my top 4 prediction, not looking very good so far.

And I'm loving it!  ;D
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 12:24:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
They also got Ozil 
whether he has lived up to his fee or not is another story but still Arsenal payed a lot for him

I thought I'd spare you by not mentioning that one.  Seriously, though, I think Coquelin is a nice young player, but surely Arsenal need another holding mid.  Maybe Wenger ventures out into the market to find a Flamini-type who can at least provide some additional cover. 

As a Man City fan, I actually like Arsenal AND Spurs (!!!).  I respect Wenger and his commitment to playing attacking football by passing and just generally keeping the ball on the carpet.  With a top-flight finisher in addition to Giroud, who given his transfer fee, has been a success, I think Arsenal could take a huge leap forward.  Don't rate Benzema generally, but even I would have to admit that he might score 30 goals for them if he avoided injuries.

Ozil created the most chances for the team, that's after coming off an injury. I think Ozil is just fine as it is. He needs someone who can finish the chances he creates, and by God, please make it someone who's better than Olivier Giroud. He also covered the most ground, so don't be fooled by that laid back style of game he has, he's very impactful in the pitch. (well, except against West Ham last week of course)

As for Coquelin, his tandem with Santi Cazorla last year worked wonders. Here's hoping AW just goes back to that instead of insisting that Aaron Ramsey would be better (man I'm so sick of Ramsey). Surely we need another DM, here's hoping the rumored Krychowiak deal would come to fruition. Never saw the dude play, but from what I've read, he's good quality.

And don't worry, in the next week or two, we'll have Karim Benzema too. (one could hope)

I'm impressed with Coquelin - he's going to be an effective holding mid for a long time (nice call by Wenger on this one, eh?!).  Wenger is denying that he's in for Krychowiak, but that doesn't mean anything, and he's a big strapping fellow. 

I'll be shocked if Wenger doesn't go in for Benz or another top striker.  If he gets one, it will revolutionize their attack.  Some of those finishes in the box that Giroud misses would then wind up in the back of your opponents' nets. 

In any event, if City cannot win the title, I hope your club does... ;)

Coq has been a revelation. My only concern is he doesn't have that vision from the midfield to link the attackers on the counter. Also, he can't be the holding on his own. He needs help there as he gets hurt too much.

I disagree, I'd actually be shocked if he goes for Benzema or Aubameyan (according to rumors, he's the backup). He seems contented to have Giroud, Welbeck and Walcott to be the guys up front. That's not going to be enough, but boss is stubborn.

Agree about Coquelin, he's still quite young and just beginning to develop but my point was that Wenger HAS to get another holding mid because you cannot have just one, but probably should have three viable candidates in a 25-man squad.  Coquelin is a holding mid, period, but a very good one.  He's not a box-to-box and certainly not a creative mid, but Arsenal already has a zillion of those! 

Forget Benz, get Aubemayang, if possible.  With Tuchel replacing Klopp there, maybe there is an opportunity.  He runs a 30 yard dash in 3.7 seconds, which is faster than the time of USAIN BOLT over that distance.  He also knows where the net is, and is a big strong, though lean, striker.  Showed his quality at BVB last season, scoring a lot of goals for a side having a catastrophically bad season.

I actually wanted Aubameyang more than Benzema. Mainly because he's two years younger. But Dortmund, from what I've read the past couple of months, are insisting that he's not for sale.

And as for a DM, sure, we could probably use one of quality, but until the Cazorla - Coq combo stops working, we gotta keep it that way. Ramsey just needs to sit down.

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 03:05:52 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I will never question Mesut's credentials as a creative player.  He also created chances by the bushel for Real Madrid.  However, he is the most insipid and inept defender/marker I have seen for a player of his overall caliber.  Don't know about last season, but at RM, he was drummed out because they finally got fed up with his incessant late-night drinking and nightclubbing, despite being their BEST creative player.

I can`t argue with that.... I didn`t know he had such an unprof behaviour at RM. POssibly that`s why he couldn`t play the whole 90mins

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I will never question Mesut's credentials as a creative player.  He also created chances by the bushel for Real Madrid.  However, he is the most insipid and inept defender/marker I have seen for a player of his overall caliber.  Don't know about last season, but at RM, he was drummed out because they finally got fed up with his incessant late-night drinking and nightclubbing, despite being their BEST creative player.

I can`t argue with that.... I didn`t know he had such an unprof behaviour at RM. POssibly that`s why he couldn`t play the whole 90mins

I just saw a stat that was tweeted by Arsenal News.

Mesut Ozil, since arriving at the Emirates, created 146 chances. Only 16 were converted.

Jesus Christ. And there's a write up that says Giroud says he's going to be enough.

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 05:10:25 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Hopefully, Wenger & Co. have that straightened out.  As he matures, and begins to take care of his body, his play may improve in exponential fashion because you're absolutely right that he can be a consistently devastating creator who makes all the other attackers that much better simply by playing in the same side with him. 

The other big concern at RM was that he is not a top-notch finisher and there was some feeling that they felt they needed more goals from their best creative player.  Hence, Isco.  If Arsenal get a striker like Benz, or another finisher, they certainly won't need goals from Mesut.  I think that Arsenal may  turn out to be just the right situation for him if he settles down - Wenger is very very good in his handling of players. 

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
We're finally on board. And it seemed like Olivier Giroud had sniffed Karim Benzema from far away, headed to the Emirates, so he responded with a brilliant goal.

Who's here to see Chelsea vs Manchester City? Good treat early in the morning.

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 11:17:19 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Asmir Begovic has been fantastic early on. Wow.

He's looking like a brilliant buy for Mourinho so far.

Edit: So much for that, Aguero beat him on a beauty.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:32:21 AM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 11:32:09 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ohh, what a goal by Sergio Aguero. Lovely close control and footwork by Aguero.

Great patience in the build up in that move by Man City.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Gary Cahill got a hit from Begovic there, ouch.

But LOL at the roar of the Etihad when the Chelsea medical staff comes into the pitch, absolutely mocking them.

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 12:17:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I hate that Mourinho picked Ramires for this game. I would have loved to have seen Cuadrado selected. Good defensively but much better going forward.

Ramires is too cautious a selection. Tired of Mourinho's defensiveness.

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 12:25:51 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Disappointed in what Chelsea are getting from Diego Costa. Too slow to get in behind Kompany or Mangala. Drifting deep to get on the ball. Not enough threatening runs around the penalty box.

Need a quicker #9.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Great turn and run by Raheem Sterling down the wing. Lethal pace.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Kompany just powered that header. Man, he just battled Ivanovic and completely beat him physically.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2015, 12:44:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Well deserved 2nd goal for Man City. They have played really well today. Creative and adventurous on the ball. Weapons all over the pitch. Tried to attack.

Chelsea were a dulled knife. Not enough from Fabregas or Willian. This was a big opportunity for Willian playing in the center as the #10 in a big match. Let himself down. Chelsea weren't able to control possession well enough and weren't able to get into threatening areas often enough when they did have it. Diego Costa played badly up top. He didn't do enough to threaten City's back line. Too reliant on runners from attacking midfield.

Oh wow, what a blast from Fernandinho! 3-0!

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2015, 12:46:40 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Chelsea can't even clear the ball properly today. Paid for it with a Fernandinho strike. That ball was hit with power.