Author Topic: Celtics (48-13) at Nuggets (42-20) Game #62 3/7/24  (Read 11590 times)

Re: Celtics (48-13) at Nuggets (42-20) Game #62 3/7/24
« Reply #360 on: March 08, 2024, 01:09:55 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 739
we had numbers in transition, needed a two to tie, and the big game invisible man shoots a three?!?

incredibly low bbiq. losing basketball.

Exactly right. Holiday hits two huge shots, then we force the turnover.
Brown receives the pass, down on the block, should have bulled his way in for a layup or foul or both.
I know that big Jokic was there to defend such a move, but Brown is very strong inside and that possession was the game.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #361 on: March 08, 2024, 01:13:06 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
And we're going to have to figure out the Jokic/KP issue. He clearly is too small to guard Jokic, and while Horford/X can't stop him either, they at least make it much more difficult for him due to their size.

Not sure what the answer is, other than we just have to play double big more and stagger more of KP's minutes with Jokic on the bench.

We may need to start Horford over Jrue or White in that matchup, if it comes to that.  Not sure which.  Glad I don't have to make that call.

I was thinking we probably have to sit Jrue. It will imbalance our perimeter defense but we can at least not have KP getting sonned by Jokic.

Or we trap him every time he gets the ball and hope our rotation holds up  :angel:

Yeah, I don't know what to do. Don't like the idea of changing the starting lineup for this series alone, which could mess with chemistry and flow. Perhaps it's just taking KP out early and staggering him as much as possible with Jokic.

I think Joe has to more purposefully aim for that, which he didn't do tonight. For awhile he kept both Al and X out there when Jokic was on the bench. Got to better maximize those minutes. But the crunch time minutes are where the real question is going to be.

« Reply #362 on: March 08, 2024, 01:17:36 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 106
  • B's Up
Tatum was hot garbage tonight especially on a few of his wild passes. And JB for the love of god please work on your free throws
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2024, 02:47:27 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 183
That White 3 too, it was a good look, can’t ask for more than that.

An NBA Finals matchup would be thrilling, definitely a 7 Game series

Denver in 5… based on what are we taking them 7?

« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2024, 04:24:39 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392
And we're going to have to figure out the Jokic/KP issue. He clearly is too small to guard Jokic, and while Horford/X can't stop him either, they at least make it much more difficult for him due to their size.

Not sure what the answer is, other than we just have to play double big more and stagger more of KP's minutes with Jokic on the bench.

We may need to start Horford over Jrue or White in that matchup, if it comes to that.  Not sure which.  Glad I don't have to make that call.

I was thinking we probably have to sit Jrue. It will imbalance our perimeter defense but we can at least not have KP getting sonned by Jokic.

Or we trap him every time he gets the ball and hope our rotation holds up  :angel:

Yeah, I don't know what to do. Don't like the idea of changing the starting lineup for this series alone, which could mess with chemistry and flow. Perhaps it's just taking KP out early and staggering him as much as possible with Jokic.

I think Joe has to more purposefully aim for that, which he didn't do tonight. For awhile he kept both Al and X out there when Jokic was on the bench. Got to better maximize those minutes. But the crunch time minutes are where the real question is going to be.

Just some options I had off the top of my head, without looking at what other teams have done:

1) they could do is just trap him soon as he gets the ball to get it out of his hands ,which is always a risk with a passer as good as Jokic is
2) play a zone to try to wall off those cutters and try to mess up his rhythm
3) play single coverage and force him to beat us individually, just make sure he doesn't catch the ball in the pick and roll going downhill with KP going backwards, and just box out Gordon or other cutters. I think we tried this in Boston but Murray torched us
4) just score more than them  :police:

I would be curious to see how teams that have played Jokic well have defended him...it could have been they caught him at a bad day but it's certainly something Joe has to figure out for sure. End of day it's a game of fine margins...it looks like our team did so many things wrong, Tatum was meek, Jrue didn't catch fire offensively till the last quarter, White was out of sync, we missed 9 free throws, we let Jokic get a triple double and kill us by finding cutters...but despite all those errors we were still in with a chance to win with 2 min to go, undeservedly obviously, but it just goes to show how we only really need a few things to go our way of the many stuff ups we had.

If we won it probably would have been one of those lucky, "undeserving" wins but as KP said they played poorly in a lot of areas so there's a lot of scope to improve and we weren't far off in any case. The biggest issue to me is that most of those things we need to improve are in the mind, which is our team's biggest flaw - mentality and becoming mental midgets when it's crunch time. That's why we've lost these games to good teams, we've blown out so many trash ones that when we play ones that show resistance the team doesn't respond well. It's a recurring issue this season with every loss, and it's a lot harder to fix than Xs and Os. I guess that's why Joe wants to expose this particular iteration of the Cs to as many of these pressure games as possible.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:55:55 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #365 on: March 08, 2024, 07:29:35 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 691
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Last night was why Tatum gets so much criticism. He just is not clutch when it counts...especially vs great teams.

I am afraid they shot their wad vs the Warriors and now havew no idea how to get it back. End of game situations just continue to kill this team.

« Reply #366 on: March 08, 2024, 07:30:31 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Denver is a bad match up for Boston but Denver might not make it out of the west. They have had their own moments this season.

« Reply #367 on: March 08, 2024, 08:29:55 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 183

Denver is a bad match up for Boston but Denver might not make it out of the west. They have had their own moments this season.

But it’s a guarantee Boston makes it out of the east? Gotcha.
More likely Denver makes the finals and Boston doesn’t in my opinion.

« Reply #368 on: March 08, 2024, 08:49:40 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • MASTER OF PANIC

But it’s a guarantee Boston makes it out of the east? Gotcha.
More likely Denver makes the finals and Boston doesn’t in my opinion.

Never said that. I know that it would ruin your day if the Celtics did get to the finals but oh well.

I was responding that Denver is a tough match up for the Cs. That is it. And it would benefit Boston IF the Cs made it to the finals to draw someone else.

« Reply #369 on: March 08, 2024, 09:10:13 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2547
Last night was why Tatum gets so much criticism. He just is not clutch when it counts...especially vs great teams.

I am afraid they shot their wad vs the Warriors and now havew no idea how to get it back. End of game situations just continue to kill this team.

I don’t have anywhere near the worries you and others have. I don’t expect a championship, but I still believe they are a top contender.  Any ECF or Finals matchup will be a battle - good team v. good team.

I’m pretty sure before last night, JB wasn’t clutch and DW was. Lo and behold besides FT woes, Jaylen was fantastic - and Derrick missed a big, open 3 near the end.

I’ve seen great performances by JT in the playoffs and against tough opponents. He’ll have a clunker now and again, but I trust he’ll be great overall in the playoffs. 

After all the whining and complaining about how much Denver is better, etc. - an open corner 3 would have given the Cs the lead with less than a minute - or a better ‘alley’ would have been ooped by Jaylen to tie.

« Reply #370 on: March 08, 2024, 09:17:36 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

I don’t have anywhere near the worries you and others have. I don’t expect a championship, but I still believe they are a top contender.  Any ECF or Finals matchup will be a battle - good team v. good team.

I’m pretty sure before last night, JB wasn’t clutch and DW was. Lo and behold besides FT woes, Jaylen was fantastic - and Derrick missed a big, open 3 near the end.

I’ve seen great performances by JT in the playoffs and against tough opponents. He’ll have a clunker now and again, but I trust he’ll be great overall in the playoffs. 

After all the whining and complaining about how much Denver is better, etc. - an open corner 3 would have given the Cs the lead with less than a minute - or a better ‘alley’ would have been ooped by Jaylen to tie.

For me it wasn't just that Tatum had a bad game last night.  Yes.  Those happen and it's unfortunate when it happens in big games like this because it will be a talking point.  He just didn't seem to be engaged last night.  Like he didn't want to be there.  He made questionnable decisions, lazy passes and seemed to fall asleep on defense a few times.  It was odd.

« Reply #371 on: March 08, 2024, 09:27:24 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Well, on the bright side, 4 of the 7 Finals would be in Boston and not the high altitude. 

Of course, that would require HCA actually being an advantage again for the Celtics after last year's letdowns at home.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #372 on: March 08, 2024, 09:39:48 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1459
Well, on the bright side, 4 of the 7 Finals would be in Boston and not the high altitude. 

Of course, that would require HCA actually being an advantage again for the Celtics after last year's letdowns at home.

Exactly. Even if it’s not a huge advantage, it’s still a hell of a lot better than playing in Denver. If Tatum has a below average game instead of a terrible one, C’s likely win last night. 15 points out of your best player isn’t going to cut it.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #373 on: March 08, 2024, 09:57:45 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 604

They looked like the 2022 finals version. That's concerning.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #374 on: March 08, 2024, 10:02:11 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
That really gave me PTSD from the 2022 Finals

Brown going off. A few others playing really well. But then there’s Tatum choking in the clutch and also looking lethargic for most of the game. Also getting outplayed by the likes of Wiggins (2022 Finals) and MPJ + Gordon. Like don’t get me wrong, Wiggins/MPJ/Gordon are all great players but when Tatum is getting outplayed and outhustled consistently by those guys then that’s kinda sad.

Also a lot of these superstars like Jokic consistently play well and contribute during the entire game even the start. Tatum starting slow and “easing in” just isn’t gonna cut it deep into the playoffs. There’s a difference. Tatum needs to actually start well too and help his team throughout
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller