Author Topic: Knicks looking into trading down in draft  (Read 3157 times)

Knicks looking into trading down in draft
« on: May 31, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26859001/nba-draft-debate-rj-barrett-future-star

Everyone at the top of the draft is trying to trade down

The Knicks are considering trading the No. 3 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for Nos. 8 and 10. The Hawks would essentially be on the opposite side of a deal they did last year in which they traded down from No. 3 with the Dallas Mavericks to pick up an additional selection. A deal is unlikely to occur until the draft is underway to know which players are available.

The Knicks have been looking at Cam Reddish, Jarrett Culver, Coby White and Nassir Little.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:59:05 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Knicks looking into trading down in draft
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 12:00:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
heard that depending how the draft goes they might take 8 and 10 from the Hawks
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Doesn't sound like a team trying to get Anthony Davis, does it?

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:04:15 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Should C's flip the picks with them and then flip the top 3 pick for AD? Take out one or two of Brown/Tatum/Smart in the deal and absorb one of NO bad contract with AD.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 12:08:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Should C's flip the picks with them and then flip the top 3 pick for AD? Take out one or two of Brown/Tatum/Smart in the deal and absorb one of NO bad contract with AD.

Brilliant, but doubt Knicks would cooperate with us on that, as it would decrease their ability to get Kyrie in the process, right?

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:22:32 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't think the Knicks are confident that they will get KD, AD, or Kyrie.

Knicks is probably the most dysfunctional franchise along with LAL.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 12:37:00 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 227
Honestly, if I were the Pelicans I would much rather take an offer of 3rd Pick (Barrett), Knox, and Dennis Smith for Davis than an offer of Tatum, Smart, and the Memphis pick from the Celtics. Barrett’s going to be a better player than Tatum, he already has great chemistry with Zion, and we don’t really know where that Memphis Pick will end up, could be late lottery - just look at where we thought the Kings Pick would land this time last year. Also, Smith and Knox will be high Caliber starters in this league.

So I don’t really no why people say Knicks don’t have as good of a chance as the Celtics or Lakers..

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
If Ainge can't get Anthony Davis, I'd be happy to trade Tatum or Jaylen to NY for RJ Barrett.

I think RJ with his ball-handling & passing will be the better young wing to build around long term.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 12:40:45 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Honestly, if I were the Pelicans I would much rather take an offer of 3rd Pick (Barrett), Knox, and Dennis Smith for Davis than an offer of Tatum, Smart, and the Memphis pick from the Celtics. Barrett’s going to be a better player than Tatum, he already has great chemistry with Zion, and we don’t really know where that Memphis Pick will end up, could be late lottery - just look at where we thought the Kings Pick would land this time last year. Also, Smith and Knox will be high Caliber starters in this league.

So I don’t really no why people say Knicks don’t have as good of a chance as the Celtics or Lakers..

Why?

Knox sucks
Denis smith jr got a bad attitude and underperforms
Barrett is unproven and not the best at the college level.

Tatum shows in playoffs
Smart is a all nba defensive team member.

And that assuming knicks offer all of that

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
If Ainge can't get Anthony Davis, I'd be happy to trade Tatum or Jaylen to NY for RJ Barrett.

I think RJ with his ball-handling & passing will be the better young wing to build around long term.

Brown and barrett
Brown and tatum
Barrett and tatum

Which duo do you think is better?

If team gets davis at a hypothetical cost of tatum and smart I woupd love to see team trade for barrett. But only then

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2019, 12:44:50 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yuck.

Bird in hand worth two in the bush, man.

This really doesn't seem like it's the right draft to be trading quality young assets for a swing at a guy who will be taken outside the top 2.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 12:50:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/26859001/nba-draft-debate-rj-barrett-future-star

Everyone at the top of the draft is trying to trade down

The Knicks are considering trading the No. 3 pick to the Atlanta Hawks for Nos. 8 and 10. The Hawks would essentially be on the opposite side of a deal they did last year in which they traded down from No. 3 with the Dallas Mavericks to pick up an additional selection. A deal is unlikely to occur until the draft is underway to know which players are available.

The Knicks have been looking at Cam Reddish, Jarrett Culver, Coby White and Nassir Little.

If I were Atlanta I would never make that swap. I don't see a huge difference between Barrett and the players available at 8 and 10. Two chances are better than one.

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 12:56:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think the Knicks are confident that they will get KD, AD, or Kyrie.

Knicks is probably the most dysfunctional franchise along with LAL.
My read is that the Knicks are confident they'll get KD and don't think Barrett will be the guy they want on a team with KD.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Brown and barrett
Brown and tatum
Barrett and tatum

Which duo do you think is better?

If team gets davis at a hypothetical cost of tatum and smart I woupd love to see team trade for barrett. But only then

I'd like to keep Jaylen over Tatum.

I wouldn't pursue RJ Barrett if I got Anthony Davis. I would go into win-now mode with AD here and I think RJ will need a few years to get his jump-shot up to a sufficient level to be a win-now player. Jaylen or Tatum are win-now players and can fit in better next to AD. 

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If I were Atlanta I would never make that swap. I don't see a huge difference between Barrett and the players available at 8 and 10. Two chances are better than one.
It is essentially the same swap Atlanta made with Dallas just the other way. I don't think it fits their philosophy, so I wonder if it is the Knicks floating the idea.

Though if their GM likes Barrett a lot it makes sense. You just need to believe the player you are moving up for is a star.