Author Topic: Can Brandon Clarke game translate at the NBA level? comparison?  (Read 7920 times)

Re: Can Brandon Clarke game translate at the NBA level? comparison?
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think that his utmost ceiling would be a Shawn Marion type of playstyle. Amazing feel for the game, makes good passes, can lock down people between 2-4, and can knock down shots at a respectable rate. If everything pans out you are looking at an awesome team first player. The perfect 4th of 5th guy in a sense.

Like others here, I am afraid of his wingspan. He is obviously a freak athlete, but his measurables make him an explosive wing in terms of size. In the modern day you want the opposite. You want a PF with SF skills, not a big SF with PF/C skills.

Edit: Wow his standing reach is an inch shorter than Hoods, and 6 inches less than Faried who I consider undersized. That's scary.

I like Marion comparison

He could fly also but play ball

From: https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2010/11/22/nba-scouting-101-the-five-tool-basketball-player-and-a-look-at-texas%25e2%2580%2599-nba-prospects/

The most important physical characteristic on defense is wingspan. Great defensive players, from Scottie Pippen to Hakeem Olajuwon, almost always have longer arms than their body, which allows them to play a step further away from the offensive player (to anticipate and stop a drive) while still contesting their jumper. Shawn Marion is only 6'7, but a near seven-foot wingspan lets him guard much taller players.

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Comparison: Jordan Mickey? ( ;D)

Also a blocking monster that didn't succeed in the NBA, because he wasn't big and skilled enough.

Now that you say that, it makss perfect sense that this guy likes Brandon Clark ;D But seriously, Jordan Mickey is probably the worst case scenario with this guy, and the possibility doesn't seem so out there.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Dave Cowens was 6'9" with a 6'9" wingspan.

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 05:03:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

based off of this sites data

https://www.thehoopsgeek.com/average-nba-height/

1980 average NBA SF 6'7" 204lbs
1980 average NBA PF 6'8.5" 218lbs
1980 average NBA C 6'10.5" 222lbs

2019 average NBA SF 6'7.5" 216lbs
2019 average NBA PF 6'9" 232lbs
2019 average NBA C 6'11" 249lbs

Dave Cowens at 6'9 230 lbs was heavier then the average center in 1980 and taller then the average PF

Clarke in contrast is basically the size of the average SF
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Dave Cowens at 6'9 230 lbs was heavier then the average center in 1980 and taller then the average PF

Cowens went up against Many 7 footers including Wilt, Kareem, Walton, Artis, Sikma, etc... Toughness was more important than height and wingspan.  I'm not saying Clarke will be anywhere near as good as Dave Cowens but heart can overcome wingspan.

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2019, 05:31:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Cowens went up against Many 7 footers including Wilt, Kareem, Walton, Artis, Sikma, etc... Toughness was more important than height and wingspan.  I'm not saying Clarke will be anywhere near as good as Dave Cowens but heart can overcome wingspan.

As modern NBA fans we see it all the time when Smart holds his own in switches vs much taller players. Height and length are not my biggest concerns with Clarke. His weight was my biggest disappointment. Being under 210 he just isn’t going to be able to handle guarding bigger plays 1 v 1. His athletic ability and instincts give him the prerequisite skills to be an elite wing defender, he just needs to be able to shoot enough to get on the court.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

As modern NBA fans we see it all the time when Smart holds his own in switches vs much taller players. Height and length are not my biggest concerns with Clarke. His weight was my biggest disappointment. Being under 210 he just isn’t going to be able to handle guarding bigger plays 1 v 1. His athletic ability and instincts give him the prerequisite skills to be an elite wing defender, he just needs to be able to shoot enough to get on the court.

Clarke wouldnt be depended on to do the heavy lifting on the inside or try to stop a guy like Lopez

But could be a nice complimentary piece for a bonafide inside presence or someone like Al Horford

Grab those weakside rebounds, get some offensive rebounds, protect the rim/weakside blocks, pnr D, switches and contest outside shooters

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
If he started hitting 3's, then how comparable to Aaron Gordon would he be?
if.... he is a junior and has played 98 games. so that is a fair sized sample. in college he averaged 25% from 3 pt range, 26.7% in his last year. he is really bad at this part of the game.

what also worries me is that his FT shooting is not good either. career he is at 61.8%, though he did manage to shot FT at 69.4% his last year. still poor, but trending in the right direction. often, in college a player may not make many 3 pointers, but good FT% gives hope of improvement.

my worries are his age (23 this fall), his poor long-range shooting, FT shooting, and his short arms. i like the rest of his basketball game, but these are significant flaws. but if ainge thinks he can be a good player and picks him i am willing to wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Clarke is going to be 10-15 minute energy big.

I just don't see him translating that well in the NBA.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 07:20:51 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Clarke wouldnt be depended on to do the heavy lifting on the inside or try to stop a guy like Lopez

But could be a nice complimentary piece for a bonafide inside presence or someone like Al Horford

Grab those weakside rebounds, get some offensive rebounds, protect the rim/weakside blocks, pnr D, switches and contest outside shooters

What will make or break Clarke, as with most NBA players, will be hustle on the court and work ethic off. Some guys just out work people. Clarke will have to be one of those hard working garbage men. I'm looking further down the draft in the 20s because I don't think The Celtics are keeping that 14th pick.

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

What will make or break Clarke, as with most NBA players, will be hustle on the court and work ethic off. Some guys just out work people. Clarke will have to be one of those hard working garbage men. I'm looking further down the draft in the 20s because I don't think The Celtics are keeping that 14th pick.

From what I read... Clarke plays with lots of enthuthiasm and has a high motor

This said... they also said the same about Kidd Gilchrist... and look what has become of him in the league

The intriguing thing about Clarke also is his explosive, pogo stick type leaping ability and knowing how to use it.  He has good timing with it

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

From what I read... Clarke plays with lots of enthuthiasm and has a high motor

This said... they also said the same about Kidd Gilchrist... and look what has become of him in the league

The intriguing thing about Clarke also is his explosive, pogo stick type leaping ability and knowing how to use it.  He has good timing with it

He seems like a good fundamentally sound player with NBA level athleticism.

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2019, 08:32:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I’m not super familiar with Clarke but all of the physical descriptions I read make me think of Josh Jackson.  Skinny 6’8 freak athlete with high motor, short arms, and a poor shot. 

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I’m not super familiar with Clarke but all of the physical descriptions I read make me think of Josh Jackson. Skinny 6’8 freak athlete with high motor, short arms, and a poor shot.

Interesting name to bring up. Jackson was seen as a potential great wing defender, but his little lack of length makes him unable to guard elite wing players well like Durant, Antetokounmpo, Leonard, James, Gallinari or George. To make him effective on defense he needs to defend (shooting) guards around the court, but he doesn't have the shooting skills of a guard.

The same problem has Clarke. He probably won't be able to defend the best PF's well, since he gives up both size and length. In the NBA he'll be more suited to guard SF's, but he doesn't have the skillset to play that position. I really don't think he'll have much of a career in the NBA. The Celtics shouldn't use a first round pick for him.

« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2019, 08:42:07 AM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
I think of Draymond Green as the prototype for an undersized center/forward in today's game. At the 2012 combine he measured 6.7.5 with shoes and a 7.1.25 wingspan. We all know about his motor and athleticism.

Clarke measured 6.8.25 with a 6.8.25 wingspan. He's somewhat similar to Green regarding motor and athleticism. Different but similar. He certainly would be asked to play a similar role.

Basically, that's your comp. Can Clarke overcome a 3" wingspan difference to be effective? How close can he come to Green's status?

Also.....Semi Ojeleye 6.6.75 with a 6.9.75 wingspan. Do the Celtics really need Clarke when they already have Ojeleye?