Poll

Given the case outlined would you conisder trading Gordon Hayward?

Yes, but only for the right pieces.
35 (44.3%)
Yes, to give the Jays room to grow, even for a subpar return.
6 (7.6%)
No, because I think we can win it all this year
12 (15.2%)
No, but only because I dont think we find a trade that makes sense.
26 (32.9%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Case for Trading Gordon Hayward (Hear Me Out)  (Read 23262 times)

Re: The Case for Trading Gordon Hayward (Hear Me Out)
« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2020, 08:54:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
After yesterday’s trade activities. It looks like only Knicks and Hawks can offer Hayward more than $26M a year. Teams can stretch salaries and trade away players with picks attached but why do it for Gordon?
Seems like a lock he’s resigning at $27-30M a year with Celtics or even less or he’s picking his option

Miami looks to have about $35 million.
They were unwilling to give Gallinari more than an years worth of extension. We can cross them off the list

That assumes they value Hayward and Gallinari equally.
I can't imagine they do, especially since nabbing Hayward would be of detriment to one of their rivals. I also vaguely remember them pursuing him when he signed here - can't really remember.

However, not sure if Hayward is their top priority.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2020, 09:20:39 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
After yesterday’s trade activities. It looks like only Knicks and Hawks can offer Hayward more than $26M a year. Teams can stretch salaries and trade away players with picks attached but why do it for Gordon?
Seems like a lock he’s resigning at $27-30M a year with Celtics or even less or he’s picking his option

Miami looks to have about $35 million.
They were unwilling to give Gallinari more than an years worth of extension. We can cross them off the list

That assumes they value Hayward and Gallinari equally.
I can't imagine they do, especially since nabbing Hayward would be of detriment to one of their rivals. I also vaguely remember them pursuing him when he signed here - can't really remember.

However, not sure if Hayward is their top priority.
Miami was a pretty big suitor for Hayward in 2017.  He actually went their first and they had this huge banner made and everything. 

That said, I don't think Miami really wants to ruin their 2021 cap space.  They, as our many teams, are holding out hope for Giannis. 

Also, I think if Hayward wants to leave, he will have plenty of suitors and a sign and trade can always be worked out if it makes sense for Boston (and it might).  I mean Miami didn't have cap room to sign Butler, and yet there was Butler ending up in Miami.  Same with Russell and the Warriors, Rozier and the Hornets, etc.  Last summer was the summer that brought back sign and trades, so that can certainly happen again
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #152 on: February 08, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I’m so happy Hayward wasn’t traded.  I haven’t read all pages so sorry if this is repeated but this is what Pat Riley envisioned back in the day of having an almost all wing multidimensional lineup.  We’ve only actually seen a handful of games as many times one of Hayward, Tatum, or Brown have been out, but when we’ve seen it it’s been very effective. I admit to I had reservations about how well it would work.

Going forward I also hope we re-sign Hayward.  One Hayward will probably have more trade value in the future with a multi year contract, and 2 it just gives more options.

Options such as:

1) Riding out Hayward through his 2nd contract being a prime option if he ages well.

2) Or say by year 3 Langford is really breaking out we could explore trading Hayward to alleviate worry of diminishing returns.

3) Utilize 4 wing lineups more as Walker ages to keep all of Hayward, Tatum, Brown, and a rising Langford in the mix. Smart also around, and the extra minutes left behind from mostly Wannamaker gobbled up with this group.

Really loving this team now. 

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I think Hayward opts in, then later signs a new contract with Celtics for 2 more years, with player or team option for 3rd year.

He is our secondary play-maker to Kemba. In some ways, he is even  more of a play maker than Kemba, and I'm not knocking Kemba, just that a possession by Hayward more likely to result in an assist than a possession by Kemba. Kemba has better ability to create his own shot than Gordon, which is contributing factor.

He has become a real good complement to the 2 J's, especially Brown.  His lack of ego makes the team environment comfortable for Tatum and Brown to flourish.  The guys really seem to respect him. And let's be honest, now that they see how much better they play with Gordon, and without Kyrie, they understand what the real problem was last year; it was never Gordon.

P.S. Al Horford looking worse by the game. I don't know if it's system, age, or both, but frankly am glad, in hindsight, he opted out; think it would have been a mistake to re-sign him. I don't feel that he would add any significant value to this team. Theis is just as good defensively, and Al's play making not really needed for this squad.  His absence probably helps Hayward flourish more as a ball handler.