Author Topic: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?  (Read 11823 times)

Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?
« on: December 21, 2014, 05:21:07 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Ainge is obviously a fan as he was the first to contact him in free agency.

The Suns not starting IT to his surprise as that's apparently the reason he just fired his agent and they'd rather give his minutes to Dragic and Bledsoe.

He's locked in at a very affordable $7mill for the next 4 years and is having another strong season. At 25 years old he's averaging 16 points and 4 assists in only 24 minutes a game. He's also doing it very efficiently shooting 44% overall and 39% from 3pt with a TS% of 59 and a PER of 21.6 (both the latter career highs). He also gets to the line over 5 times a game (24th in NBA).

PHX fans I talk to are mostly on board. Gives Boston an efficient score-first PG they can mix with Smart and Bradley effectively and Ainge doesn't need to deal with Wright's FA as he'll likely be in very high demand.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: Would you flip Brandan Wright for Isiah Thomas?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 05:22:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Yes -- not much of a fan of Wright plus Boston already has a good backup center in Tyler Zeller. So I don't see a great need or future here for Wright.

I do really like Thomas as a change-of-pace backup PG (explosive scorer/shooter). I think he'd provide a great contrast to Smart as starting PG (big physical destroyer type PG). The makings of a top 6th man behind Smart.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 05:24:02 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Without hesitation. The Suns wouldn't.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline Kadin

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 29
Sure, I would probably do that. I guess it depends on how well Smart does between now and the deadline. If he blows up, then forget it. But if he struggles, then sure.

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 05:26:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Plumlee is playing poorly for them. They are surely looking to replace him. Maybe not at the cost of Thomas but they are looking for a rotation caliber center.

Phoenix can use Alex Len and Brandan Wright as center combo. Wright a great fit in Suns uptempo offense. About as good a fit as they can possibly find for their style of play. I think that will count a lot in his favour. Suns also drafted good PG last year in Tyler Ennis.

Then again ... they are probably better off waiting til FA this summer and signing Wright then instead of losing Thomas.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:03 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Yes.

Would Phoenix would?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 05:27:42 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

Yeah. Boston will likely need to add a 2nd or two.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
I would trade Bradley for Thomas... move Smart to sG and watch the fun. Suns dont rally need bigs...and we do. Bradley would be good for them and relieve the rotation issues they have. Throw in a second rounder and get it done. Thomas would be awesome for us. If you want uptempo thats what you would get.

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I'd be estatic if we got Wright for Thomas! Clears up a logjam, fills a glaring need, clears up capspace, relatively young to match with our core, still let's Len develop as he is not an all-star (or long term starter for that matter).
Boston gets a starting PG until Smart takes over, afterwards they have a really good bench guy, or a good contract to trade...About equal value as we trade a big for a small.

It's too logical to happen, therefore not happening in the NBA.

One PHX fans opinion...
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
i think Wright can do more for this team than a midget backup PG.

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Yes -- not much of a fan of Wright plus Boston already has a good backup center in Tyler Zeller. So I don't see a great need or future here for Wright.

I do really like Thomas as a change-of-pace backup PG (explosive scorer/shooter). I think he'd provide a great contrast to Smart as starting PG (big physical destroyer type PG). The makings of a top 6th man behind Smart.

Why aren't you a fan of Wright ? He's been the best bench big in the league this year. Very efficient, & all about the team.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah. Boston will likely need to add a 2nd or two.

I seriously doubt a 2nd Rd pick is enough.  Probably require something like the 2015 Clips pick.

But I doubt Phoenix does such a deal, Wright is a FA at the end of the season.  That is a step rice for a potential 'rental' backup.  Wright will likely be attainable with the MLE anyways, so there is no point wasting an asset like IT without getting back something of long term value.

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 05:34:01 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
i think Wright can do more for this team than a midget backup PG.

I take it you haven't seen him play, ever ?

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:37 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I'd be estatic if we got Wright for Thomas! Clears up a logjam, fills a glaring need, clears up capspace, relatively young to match with our core, still let's Len develop as he is not an all-star (or long term starter for that matter).
Boston gets a starting PG until Smart takes over, afterwards they have a really good bench guy, or a good contract to trade...About equal value as we trade a big for a small.

It's too logical to happen, therefore not happening in the NBA.

One PHX fans opinion...

Haha, the bolded is perfect.

You're dealing with two pretty intelligent GMs in Ainge and McDonough, though, so I wouldn't be surprised to see this gain traction. I think Wright is overrated defensively and they are looking for a defensive center, so I'm not sure if McDonough would be interested. If he is, Wright and a couple of 2nds should do it, as you said.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Not sure, after years of clamoring for an athletic big that can block shots and actually move, that we are looking to dump him. The guy was the leading the best bench in the NBA with Dallas. Their site already wondering if they gave up too much defense and intangibles to replace. Bradley is redundant for us.