Author Topic: Dave Cowens making free throws at 67 years old  (Read 8507 times)

Re: Dave Cowens making free throws at 67 years old
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 532
Those Celtic teams with Havlicek, Cowens & JoJo were so much fun.  As others will recall they weren't on TV as much back then so we had Johnny Most on the radio.  Still haven't gotten over losing to the Knicks in '73 when Havlieck got hurt!

Dave Cowens was on Bob Ryan's Boston Podcast not long ago and it was great.  Loved hearing him talk about decking Mike Newlin.

Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out:  http://bobryanbostonpodcast.libsyn.com/season-3-episode-7-dave-cowens
Yeah, unfortunately channel 4 only picked them up for like Friday night games and weekend games. Sadly, as a basketball fan, you didn't see the Celtics nearly as much as the Bruins as they had every game on channel 38. Of course, the Bruins ruled this town through much of the 70s. In the early 70s the Bruins might have been bigger in this town than the Patriots are now.
Boston absolutely was a hockey town in the 70's thanks to Bobby Orr. There were ice rinks popping up everywhere and it lead to this area turning out more than its share of good NHL players in the 80's.  Safe to say that talent pool has dried up- probably permanently.

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:36:00 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
Those Celtic teams with Havlicek, Cowens & JoJo were so much fun.  As others will recall they weren't on TV as much back then so we had Johnny Most on the radio.  Still haven't gotten over losing to the Knicks in '73 when Havlieck got hurt!

Dave Cowens was on Bob Ryan's Boston Podcast not long ago and it was great.  Loved hearing him talk about decking Mike Newlin.

Here's a link if anyone wants to check it out:  http://bobryanbostonpodcast.libsyn.com/season-3-episode-7-dave-cowens
Yeah, unfortunately channel 4 only picked them up for like Friday night games and weekend games. Sadly, as a basketball fan, you didn't see the Celtics nearly as much as the Bruins as they had every game on channel 38. Of course, the Bruins ruled this town through much of the 70s. In the early 70s the Bruins might have been bigger in this town than the Patriots are now.
Boston absolutely was a hockey town in the 70's thanks to Bobby Orr. There were ice rinks popping up everywhere and it lead to this area turning out more than its share of good NHL players in the 80's.  Safe to say that talent pool has dried up- probably permanently.

Even I (not a hockey fan since) was completely taken by the Big, Bad Bruins  of the 70s.  Channel 38, tuned in through that UHF  dial and small circular antenna.  It was must-see.

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Even I (not a hockey fan since) was completely taken by the Big, Bad Bruins  of the 70s.  Channel 38, tuned in through that UHF  dial and small circular antenna.  It was must-see.
I think anyone who watched the Bruins at that time can still mimic the Bruins broadcast theme song. I know I can.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 07:35:17 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
one of my favorite Celtics of all time.   No one played the game harder from wire to wire.

My all time favorite too. Cowens game would have translated nicely to the modern era.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Not sure how true but I always heard that Dave was not highly scouted because FSU was on probation and did not play in post season tournaments.  Story goes that Red Auerbach went to one game and left after one quarter.  Red said it was because he knew after one quarter and he wanted other scouts to think he didn't like Cowens?

Once drafted, as a rookie, the first I heard of him was when he had a pre-season game with 32 points and 22 rebounds.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is just further proof that these professionals are better than most regular dudes can imagine.