Author Topic: EPL 2010 - 2011  (Read 32470 times)

Re: EPL 2010 - 2011
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2011, 04:44:22 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I don't think they'll sign Andre Villas-Boas. He has a €13 million buyout in his contract. I don't think Ambramovich will pony up that cash. Not for such a young manager and not after all the money he has paid out to Scolari + Ancelotti.

I would be very happy if he did though. Boas is an incredible prospect. His success in Porto speaks volumes. I'd be absolutely delighted if Chelsea landed Boas.

« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2011, 04:50:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I'd love to see someone like David Moyes get a chance with a top four club. I don't think Chelsea is a good fit though. Ambramovich doesn't have the patience to let Moyes develop as a manager. He won't give Moyes the time he needs to be successful. I hope it happens for him someday though.

Mark Hughes is an interesting name. I'd be happy to see return to Chelsea. I thought he got the short end of the stick at Man City and that they would be much further along by now than they are with Mancini.

-----------------------------------------

I think Jose Mourinho returns if Real Madrid decide to part ways with The Special One.

----------------------------------------

Hmm ... not sure who else is in the running.

I saw Rafa Benitez linked to the job but there was a denial of interest (thank god) shortly after that report.

There does seem to be a lack of qualified candidates out there. Best chance seems to be go to with a young manager with great potential.

« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Heard that Man Utd just signed Atlético Madrid's young keeper David de Gea. £17 million.

« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 09:09:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I think is a good sign for MU. The guy is young and possibly will need time but if all goes well MU has found a keeper for the next 10-12 years

Sir Alex had his eyes also on Lloris

I didn`t know V.Boas had such a clause. 13m is too much. But he definately looks like the next best thing

I read about V.Basten ... BTW Guardiola rejected the latest contract offer fromm Barcelona ...

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2011, 02:14:29 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
£20 million for Jordan Henderson? Yeesh. £16 million for Phil Jones and he would have cost more had it not been for a buyout clause in his contract.

A lot of money for Liverpool and Man Utd to pay respectively for two such inexperienced players. Phil Jones only has about 30-40 appearances to his name and is coming off of a major knee injury. Henderson only has two year's experience and struggled for form for a good chunk of last season. Lot of money to spend.

I hope it works out for everyone involved. Lot of risk.

I have been disappointed not to see Arsenal active in the transfer market. They signed some talented teenager from Charlton but that's it. No big names. No established stars. Not linked to many people either outside of the regurgitated names that they choose not to sign at mid-season.

Chelsea just need to concentrate on getting Guus Hiddink. The rest can wait. A little more cutting edge in the final third to setup the strikers is what I'd like to see them add although I have been saying that for about 4 years now and it still hasn't come.

I'd like to see Liverpool add some wide attacking players. I'd love to see them, or preferably Chelsea, nab Ashley Young. I have been a big fan of his since his Watford days. He should have moved to a Big Four club years ago. He was good enough. I don't know why it has taken so long for him.

Phil Jones was a surprising signing for Man Utd with Chris Smalling already there behind Vidic (only 29) and Rio. Surprised to see Fergie spend so much on another young central defender with Smalling looking so good last season. Maybe he just saw a chance to lock in his next great central back pairing. They'll have to wait quite a few years before Vidic gives up his spot at the club though.

Edit: It seems that a bunch of top teams were after Phil Jones. Liverpool, Arsenal, Tottenham and an unnamed club all tried to sign and were very disappointed to miss out on him. Considered a future starting centre half for England.

Man Utd have another bid in for another young center back, Varane, from France for £8 million. I have never seen him play. They are saying that Man Utd's interest in re-inforcing their defense is due to the likely departures of Wes Brown and John O'Shea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:41:42 PM by Who »

« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
imo MU has a huge hole in the def.midfielder possition and that`s where the money should go

« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 07:10:09 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sunderland just offered (accepted) £12 million for John O'Shea, Darren Gibson and Wes Brown.

Awful waste of money. They are going backwards in a hurry and are setting up to be a relegation side next season. They need to fire Steve Bruce in a hurry and start signing some real talent with their cash.

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/20/chelsea-andre-villas-boas-porto

Chelsea are set to recruit the Porto manager André Villas-Boas, according to reports in Portugal, and the coach has accepted the offer to work in London.

Villas-Boas will earn €5m (£4.4m) a season, the exact salary José Mourinho earned at the west London club, according to Jornal de Notícias. Chelsea will also pay the €15m (£13.2m) release clause in the manager's contract. Maisfutebol reported on Monday that Porto are just waiting for Chelsea to deposit the €15m before officially announcing the departure of their manager.

However, in a statement to the Portuguese Securites Market Commission on Monday lunchtime, Porto said that they have not received an offer which meets the release clause. Chelsea made no comment on the situation on Monday morning.

A little uncertainty on some of the details but it sounds like it will go through and that Chelsea have landed their man.

Very happy to have acquired a top young manager like Villas-Boas. Hopefully, he can be a long term fixture at the club. Sick of all the upheaval. It'd be nice to have some stability.

« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
15m ...... isn`t it a little too much ???

anyway ... money aside the guy has done great job with Porto and he is by far the most promising coach in the world

The only thing is that he seems to be following Murinho (i don`t think that it`s he intention though) and he will be compared to the special one whatever he`ll do.

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Hey Guys,
I watched the revolution Manchester United game the other day, and maybe it was so much fun cause the revs really suck and it made it easy for Man-U but I really got kind of excited about it and want to start following a premiere league team.  I have a couple of questions.  First, what team should I follow, and second, what is the best way to follow it from the US.  Is it getting the Fox soccer channel?

Thanks to all who respond
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2011, 02:15:35 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Hey Guys,
I watched the revolution Manchester United game the other day, and maybe it was so much fun cause the revs really suck and it made it easy for Man-U but I really got kind of excited about it and want to start following a premiere league team.  I have a couple of questions.  First, what team should I follow, and second, what is the best way to follow it from the US.  Is it getting the Fox soccer channel?

Thanks to all who respond

Fox soccer is the best way to go to follow it.  Who should follow is up to you.  I'd get fox soccer, watch a couple EPL teams and see which teams you enjoy watching and go from there.  If you're a big USA soccer supporter you may find yourself cheering for Fulham with Clint Dempsey, Everton with Tim Howard or even Bolton with Stu Holden.  Ultimately it's up to you, I'm a big fan of Arsenal.
do it

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I would like to follow one team, does anybody know how the scheduling is on fox soccer? Like if I wanted to follow Fulham, could I watch all there games, or only a select few that are televised
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16