Author Topic: Glen "Nurse" Rivers new nickname.  (Read 1258 times)

Glen "Nurse" Rivers new nickname.
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:32:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I was just thinking of one of the greatest male nurses of all time. Gaylord Gregg Foucker. And in light of the jump ship rumors, I thought Rivers needs a new nickname.

Anybody got any revised nicknames for Nurse Rivers.

Re: Glen "Nurse" Rivers new nickname.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 04:40:34 PM »

Offline eugen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 40
Doc Nurse Clippers ;D

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Something wrong or demeaning about being a male Nurse?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:43:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't really understand this.  Are you implying that nurses are mercurial or disloyal? 

Or are you saying he's made himself seem like a "woman" throughout this process so he's no longer a "Doc" and is now a "Nurse"?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Exactly.  TP.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I like it
DKC Suns

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:09 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em
I don't really understand this.  Are you implying that nurses are mercurial or disloyal? 

Or are you saying he's made himself seem like a "woman" throughout this process so he's no longer a "Doc" and is now a "Nurse"?

I think he's joking. Not everything is so serious
DKC Suns

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
lame

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It's like the "No Homo" nonsense that was absolutely everywhere in Hip-Hop/Rap a few years ago. Or a few weeks ago, if you're looking at Roy Hibbert's iPod.

Just because it's a joke doesn't mean it's not stupid, and perhaps it would be worth our time to look at why it's considered a joke.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

He's clearly joking.

It also happens to be a bad joke, that also plays to a bad stereotype. Nurses are awesome and thats a fact.

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

He's clearly joking.

It also happens to be a bad joke, that also plays to a bad stereotype. Nurses are awesome and thats a fact.

Nailed it.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Just because it's a joke doesn't mean it's not stupid, and perhaps it would be worth our time to look at why it's considered a joke.

Yep, this is a crucial point that for some reason people have a hard time grasping.

A joke may seem "harmless" because it's not outright offensive, but that doesn't mean that the assumptions that underpin it aren't problematic.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Hook 'Em

Yep, this is a crucial point that for some reason people have a hard time grasping.

A joke may seem "harmless" because it's not outright offensive, but that doesn't mean that the assumptions that underpin it aren't problematic.

Regardless of if they're actually funny or just stupid, you're against any politically incorrect jokes?
DKC Suns

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 04:57:35 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Regardless of if they're actually funny or just stupid, you're against any politically incorrect jokes?
I'm against all unfunny jokes.

As for funny inappropriate jokes, it depends on the setting. If the setting is Celticsblog, most of them are against our rules anyways, so this isn't the place for them.

Disparaging comments, stereotypes, or generalizations made in relation to another痴 race, gender, ethnicity, religion, handicap, or sexual preference are not permitted.  The use of slurs and similar language related to such categories will result in an immediate suspension and/or ban.  It is neither necessary nor appropriate to reference a player's race when commenting on that player's play or role

Given that nurses are in fact awesome I assume that this is mostly a dig at Doc based on gender stereotypes. Usually we give more leeway to public figures than other posters, but this thread has me thinking lock as I don't see it going anywhere good.

So yeah locked it is.