Author Topic: Theis and his short/long term future with the Cs  (Read 4962 times)

Theis and his short/long term future with the Cs
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:24:52 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Let me lead with the fact that I really like Theis and how his fit with the Cs personnel and system. I questioned and still question if signing Thompson was the best use of the MLE. While Thompson is a better player then Theis I feel the MLE may have been better used on a big wing (if one was available).

With that said the Cs current rotation and roster structure does not seem sustainable. Currently while starting two bigs the Cs minutes are breaking down to Thomspon 24mpg, Theis 22mpg, and R Will 16mpg. When Kemba returns Theis will likely shift to the bench and the Cs will likely (thank god) run less of the two big lineup.

Where I see an issue is with the fact that R Williams has earned all and likely more of the 16mpg he is currently averaging. Grant Williams who looked like a solid end of the rotation contributor when splitting min between big wing and small 5 has struggled to start the season. With Theis on the bench R Williams will likely see a drop in minutes and G Williams will lose any small ball 5 minutes.

Looking ahead to next season Theis is a FA while Thompson, R Williams and G Williams will all be under contract.

This leads me to the tough conclusion that baring an injury to Thompson DA has to trade Theis by the deadline.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Theis and his short/long term future with the Cs
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:26:57 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
Thompson was a best of the rest scenario for the MLE. The Hayward issue dragged out so long that we missed out on all the good free agents.

I still hate to think just how awesome this team would look with Wood.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 02:36:38 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think Danny knew that Thompson / Theis wasn’t ideal.  I think that’s why his first choice was Millsap, who would have been perfect.

We need another starting caliber player in addition to Kemba.  That would bring some balance to the team.  Any of the oft-mentioned names — Fournier, Gordon, Barnes — would help tremendously.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:26:38 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I’d agree that he’d have been a great fit. If Boston had a chance at him I’d be interested to know why it didn’t happen. But it might just be a matter of player and agent preferences.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:39:09 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I’d agree that he’d have been a great fit. If Boston had a chance at him I’d be interested to know why it didn’t happen. But it might just be a matter of player and agent preferences.
I believe Milsap had stated he didn’t want to uproot his family/kids so hard to argue with that rationale.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 03:51:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Let me lead with the fact that I really like Theis and how his fit with the Cs personnel and system. I questioned and still question if signing Thompson was the best use of the MLE. While Thompson is a better player then Theis I feel the MLE may have been better used on a big wing (if one was available).

With that said the Cs current rotation and roster structure does not seem sustainable. Currently while starting two bigs the Cs minutes are breaking down to Thomspon 24mpg, Theis 22mpg, and R Will 16mpg. When Kemba returns Theis will likely shift to the bench and the Cs will likely (thank god) run less of the two big lineup.

Where I see an issue is with the fact that R Williams has earned all and likely more of the 16mpg he is currently averaging. Grant Williams who looked like a solid end of the rotation contributor when splitting min between big wing and small 5 has struggled to start the season. With Theis on the bench R Williams will likely see a drop in minutes and G Williams will lose any small ball 5 minutes.

Looking ahead to next season Theis is a FA while Thompson, R Williams and G Williams will all be under contract.

This leads me to the tough conclusion that baring an injury to Thompson DA has to trade Theis by the deadline.   

I agree with you, we could really use a big wing.

I was hoping Celtics would have signed Josh Jackson, who has been playing quite decently for the Pistons (until ankle sprain in game 2).  He is 6'8", is a really good athlete, and can defend multiple positions. I think Pistons signed him 2 year guaranteed contract at $5 mm per year.  A steal in retrospect. 

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 04:46:19 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
We all know Theis plays well for us at C, but IMO it is starting to become Robert’s time to carve out a role as a major rotation piece. I was very bullish on him as a late 1st rounder coming out, and I think his development is important to our future.

We know what we have in Theis and the ceiling is low. If Robert reaches his potential the ceiling is substantially higher, and he has looked good so far. Tremendous physical tools that allow him to cover a guy like Bam, and fewer mental errors.

Right now with the way this team looks, I’m in favor of putting a lot of emphasis on developing my “Big 3” young guys- Rob, Romeo and 8 Mile. And of course, get Kemba as healthy as possible, as he could bring us back to contender status if those guys make leaps.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 04:51:03 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Thompson was a best of the rest scenario for the MLE. The Hayward issue dragged out so long that we missed out on all the good free agents.

Hate that Hayward dragged this out. First he wasted the Celtics' money with his injured butt now he screwed up the team's roster. Should give him the Kyrie treatment next time when he comes to town

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 05:03:09 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Wood would’ve been interesting for the Cs, tho he wasn’t an option for the MLE. Houston gave him 3 years $41 million. That would have required a Detroit sign and trade.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 05:05:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Theis has come a long way and for him, I feel it is an accomplishment that he carved out a fringe starter role for himself in the NBA.  He has exceeded what I expected him to do.

But as marginal as Theis is, he is still notably better than RWill, GWill, or Ojeleye.  This is the sad state of our big man depth.  I don't think Theis is going anywhere but who knows.

I feel our biggest need is a PF or swing.  By swing I mean someone like Marcus Morris (but not him) who can play PF even if bit undersized and a bit "wing-like".  I would prefer an actual PF who can play at an actual starter level.  Those player do still exist, just not on the Celtics the last few years. 

A "swing" like Thad Young or Rudy Gay would help though.  But I want that player in addition to Theis, not in place of (Theis can come off the bench or something).  Use the TPE and cut Edwards or Green.  I see no need to trade Theis.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 05:09:29 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I do see the pluses of trading Theis if we got back a useful player, but I wouldn’t trade him just to clear a logjam. I want to know what we get back - which might not be much for a player near the end of an expiring deal. There’s value in another playable big, and Thompson or Rob might be injured at some point. It’s a season with a lot of back to backs and short rest.

Net, I want to see what the offer is.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 08:33:05 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Theis has come a long way and for him, I feel it is an accomplishment that he carved out a fringe starter role for himself in the NBA.  He has exceeded what I expected him to do.

But as marginal as Theis is, he is still notably better than RWill, GWill, or Ojeleye.  This is the sad state of our big man depth.  I don't think Theis is going anywhere but who knows.

I feel our biggest need is a PF or swing.  By swing I mean someone like Marcus Morris (but not him) who can play PF even if bit undersized and a bit "wing-like".  I would prefer an actual PF who can play at an actual starter level.  Those player do still exist, just not on the Celtics the last few years. 

A "swing" like Thad Young or Rudy Gay would help though.  But I want that player in addition to Theis, not in place of (Theis can come off the bench or something).  Use the TPE and cut Edwards or Green.  I see no need to trade Theis.

Saying use the TPE sounds great but assets need to be attached to the TPE in order to bring in a player of any real value. That’s where trading Theis to a third team for a pick ( protected 1st) then packaging that protected 1st along with the Cs own first for the best player available makes sense.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 11:25:48 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
last nights spacing when the Cs went with Semi/Grant at the 4 further drove home to me that Theis likely has to be traded....
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620

Wood is a one trick pony. Lob city. He is a terrible defender. You can kill him on pick n rolls because he has no idea where to be. He's soft on the inside and anyone can roast his cement feet on the perimeter.

Yup he looks great in clips because he's a great lob catcher.
ok fine

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2021, 12:33:11 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

I think it was purely the Hayward delay. Danny still thought Hayward might stay. Delay is what killed all chance of Wood. We needed the TPE in order to sign him and there was smoke between Wood and Boston past season. (Danny wanted to trade for him)

If the Hayward debacle would have ended sooner I am 100% confident Wood would be a celtic. Hayward dragged his feet, wouldnt commit to leaving, danny's hands got tied.

I 100% blame Hayward for the offseason.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic