Author Topic: Colton Iverson Update  (Read 4761 times)

Colton Iverson Update
« on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:12 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I knew you all were getting sick of the 24/7 trade talk where we get Cousins for expiring contracts of X,Y, and Z and a couple of 2nd rounders protected for selections 31-55 that expire if not conveyed, so without further ado:

Badax33: David, greeting again from Olando, Mickey says “Hi”.

I know you gave me an update a while back on Colton Iverson, which wasn’t as great as I wanted to hear! I was wondering how he’s doing now and what progress he’s made? I know he’s never going to be a great scorer in the NBA but from what I saw of him, he was very physical, rebounded well (a skill that translates very well), and was a decent rim protector. He seemed to have issues with the PNR and his offense was negligible. I guess what I’d like to know is if he’s improving in these areas so that he could at least become a good backup center.

David Pick: I remember our chat a while back. Good Q, thanks for checking in again. You’d like this next paragraph.

Since our previous dialogue, Colton Iverson has stepped up probably on all fronts except blocked shots (still at 0.something per game). He’s lights out this season from the perimeter, shooting 100%. But he took just one shot in 36 games. Iverson’s team, though, unlike when we last spoke, is winning. His field-goal percentage is great, in the high 60s and he’s upgraded his rebounding stats to the point where he had games of 10 points and 10 rebounds in 23 minutes, and 14 points and 15 boards in 25 minutes.

To answer your question, YES – his offense has been improving. Could he serve as a backup NBA center? Probably a 2nd or 3rd string.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-overseas-chat-with-david-pick-21415/

Re: Colton Iverson Update
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 09:40:53 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Thanks for the update! I thought we should draft Guillermo Hernangomez with Philly's second round pick to be our 3rd string center, but if we trade this pick along with others Iverson could be the 3rd string center.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:12 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
good to hear... for a 2nd rounder to be a backup quality center is excellent value. lets hope this is all true.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i wouldnt mind drafting Guillermo Hernangomez with our 2nd rounder still

but it is still good to see him developing as a player
hopefully we would be able to see him this summer league and see how far he has progressed and maybe reap the benefits

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:51:38 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
good to hear... for a 2nd rounder to be a backup quality center is excellent value. lets hope this is all true.

I thought we had a couple backup quality centers in Sullinger, Olynyk and Zeller.  We need another?  Who would he replace? 

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I thought we had a couple backup quality centers in Sullinger, Olynyk and Zeller.  We need another?  Who would he replace?

Sully and KO aren't full time back up centers, they're PF's . Zeller would be the only one you could consider, and it's still nice to have that one extra body a the center spot. One Starter, a back up, and one that maybe could swing from PF to C, so maybe KO, but Zeller could play short stints of PF when you want to go big.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:43:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Still doing it over there and here is another matter.   Summer league did not go so well for him.

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 08:52:16 AM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Hopefully he can produce as a cheap end of the bench guy eventually

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:29:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
He’s lights out this season from the perimeter, shooting 100%. But he took just one shot in 36 games.
Is this some sort of satiric fiction?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151

Sully and KO aren't full time back up centers, they're PF's . Zeller would be the only one you could consider, and it's still nice to have that one extra body a the center spot. One Starter, a back up, and one that maybe could swing from PF to C, so maybe KO, but Zeller could play short stints of PF when you want to go big.
Excellent response...TP 

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2015, 09:59:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
He’s lights out this season from the perimeter, shooting 100%. But he took just one shot in 36 games.
Is this some sort of satiric fiction?
hey 100% shooting is light out isn't it?  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2015, 10:31:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
No reason not to root for CI, but it doesn't look like he's made any statistical improvements--e.g., in rebounding, FTs, blocks, etc.--other than a slight uptick in 2pt shooting percentage: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Colton-Iverson-18752/stats/

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 10:32:21 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If this was the 80s he would make a great hatchet man (guy just brought into to foul hard).

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If this was the 80s he would make a great hatchet man (guy just brought into to foul hard).
He has the name for it too.   8)
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek