Author Topic: Langford Fits in Well with the Young Core  (Read 8761 times)

Re: Langford Fits in Well with the Young Core
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 11:19:48 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Sorry it looks like we were on same wavelength.
The kid was a top 5 pick across the country and played hurt-He could have gone higher without the damage to his shooting hand  and being right handed dribbler.He was the focus of other teams defense and couldn't be stopped in paint.
This kid is no James Young or Fultz.

A pet peave of mine is dying on a screen.Maybe Marcus can teach him the technique.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:28:29 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 11:21:27 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I'm not sure about Langford the most

It seems like one of those pure potential/reputation picks vs someone to be excited about at this moment

Unlike Williams, Edwards and even Waters.... Langford looks raw.  He has "natural" playground type moves + physical tools

but if you look at his college games in depth...  when he doesn't have the ball or off ball defense ,  he looks a little lazy,  disengaged

Not saying he can't learn, catch on, work on becoming a solid pro

But i wouldn't be surprised one bit if his future potential is coming off the bench and giving a team 10-12 points as a 6th man type. Sub in and out late in games to get you a bucket maybe

I agree 100%.

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 11:32:29 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Sorry it looks like we were on same wavelength.
The kid was a top 5 pick across the country and played hurt-He could have gone higher without the damage to his shooting hand  and being right handed dribbler.He was the focus of other teams defense and couldn't be stopped in paint.
This kid is no James Young or Fultz.

A pet peave of mine is dying on a screen.Maybe Marcus can teach him the technique.

His thumb was not what dropped him.

If teams actually felt as though his thumb injury was the result of his poor shooting (as opposed to incorrect form and taking off balance shots) then team would knowbthe shooting would imprive after corrective surgury.

If Danny didnt pick Romeo I doubt he would have been taken ahead of pick 20.

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2019, 12:04:27 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Not sure what to do with this, but, here goes.

PJ Dozier appears to be on the roster today. I'll assume he stays this year, but, maybe not...

Dozier 6'6" 205 lbs - Maine   FG 46%    3pt 31.2% RPG 6.6
Dozier ------------- - college  FG 40.7% 3pt 29.8% RPG 4.8
Romeo 6'6" 215 lbs - college FG 44.8% 3pt 27.2% RPG 5.4

I just don't care much for what happens in G league, but, Dozier hasn't played in the NBA enough.

Anyway, these players have "general" similarity and Langford might offer a good "arc" entering the NBA.

This, I assume, is why Ainge picked him and, yes, as has been stated? He will need to "arc" the three point % up to get minutes.

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Langford also has the trade factor to the Pacers for a power forward or Turner package.

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
His off ball play needs lots of work

Wouldnt be surprised if he spends lots of time down at Maine

Edwards and Gwill on the other hand make opening day roster

« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2019, 12:46:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone else seeing Langford as a Dion Waiters type player, because that is what I see and I am not sure that's a great thing?

« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Anyone else seeing Langford as a Dion Waiters type player, because that is what I see and I am not sure that's a great thing?

I see more D Wade. The reason he has gone 14 is because he has shown talent in flashes but hasn't had the consistency. If he puts it together he's a top 4 player in this draft. That's exactly what you want from a #14 pick.

« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2019, 04:07:24 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

I see more D Wade. The reason he has gone 14 is because he has shown talent in flashes but hasn't had the consistency. If he puts it together he's a top 4 player in this draft. That's exactly what you want from a #14 pick.

Dwade?

A hall of famer?
Mvp candidate?
Multiple time allstar?

Comeon now.

« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2019, 04:10:11 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell

Waiters is a great comp.

I have been thinking evan turnerbwith worse playmaking

« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2019, 04:35:52 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Langford also has the trade factor to the Pacers for a power forward or Turner package.

Langford for bitadze and a pick.

:)

« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2019, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Eh, sure, but two major differences. Langford has far better measurements for the 2 position (Dion Waiters is only 6-4 with a 6-7 wingspan), and Langford was far better at being aggressive in getting to the rim and finishing as well. Plus Dion did start out his career in a pretty terrible situation too.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Nick Young was my first reaction to Langford. Only active when there is a shot attempt in it for him. Doesn't do anything else well.

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 05:21:19 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Other than a trade or injuries where does he fit in?

Re: Langford fits in well with the young core
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
The more I watch the more i dislike.

I dont like players that give up on defemse and play completely disinterested on that end.

I also dont like when I see teammates drop their hands when a player gets the ball. (That indicates they know they are not getting it back) right now I wouldnt value him more than rozier.

His off ball awareness really does suck right now. If he wants to become anything in the league then he needs to sort it out. I think Brad's system will force him to learn it though, the read and react doesn't allow you to switch off because you can always be involved. And he'll need to get that if he wants to see time on the floor
Which really makes drafting him at #14 questionable. The chances of him hitting his ceiling isn't really that high, and even if he does it's not like he'll be head and shoulders above other prospects available at #14 assuming they also hit their ceilings (which is more likely to happen imo).
Not sure I agree with that. On the ball he is very good, he finishes through contact and as a defender he's excellent at defending the ball.

Every player has flaws they must overcome. LeBron had no jumper coming out of high school..

Langford's flaws are very correctable with application. What makes him a great pick at 14 is his offensive ability at this age. He's got a game that will translate very well to the NBA. Much more so than other guys in that range like Doumbouya or Bidatze

He has a far from complete offensive game.

He actually had poor playmaking and a pretty broken shot.

I mean in a vacuum he will go out and score points. He will keep the ball when doubled etc and not pass teammates and will have middle if the road efficiencies in the nba...but sure.

He has a long way to go. A long way. Like he is at least 2 years away from sniffing 30mins a game on a successful nba team
Who were the 3 guys you wanted?
Goga at 14, second choice was NAW at 14
my choices at 20 went early (samanic) followed by any of my choices at 24, although trade was good too.
My Choices at 24 was Little, Johnson, Kabengele, Okpala, Porter Jr and Fernando
at 33 I was screaming for Fernando, But I dont hate Edwards.

right now, Langford is looking like Demar Derozan, with worse passing, worse shooting and more disinterested defense. So a player he gives all when he has the ball, doesnt like to pass, is completely disinterested on defense, like to take long 2s from just outside the midrange and likes to get to the line. Ugly basketball.

Really good breakdown of him here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FnZrEmorIw

The one thing a majority of people hated about Kyrie and blamed him for, and Rozier as well and to a lesser extent morris was their propensity to stop the ball and kill the offense. This kid has pine tar on his hands. The ball rarely ever come out of it unless he is shooting it....at 27%.

The challenge in drafting a kid who's 19 is that you're projecting what he'll be in many years' time. Is he a lifetime 27% 3pt shooter who will never learn to pass and will permanently be a "ball stopper"? Or are some of these things correctable because, you know, he's a year removed from high school?

It's entirely legitimate to criticize the choice and express skepticism that a prospect's flaws can be improved upon, but we should not talk about these kids as if they are finished products at such a young age.

History dictates that a player who fits Romeo's mold and mindset do not suddenly come out of that regardless of if he is 19 or not.

How many players have come into the league with Romeo's question marks and have changed?
In fact, how many kids come into the nba with low offensive and defensive IQ and low defensive drive and turn that around.

With the shot, I am sure with lots of practice and a shooting coach he can improve that. the heart and hustle for defense? the reading off offense and a willingness to pass? not so sure. Those are not easily correctable with a coach and changing mechanics, those are deficiencies between the ears.

another Terry Rozier.

But at least fans are doing all they can to like him, already making excuses for him.

"only 19"
"only 1 year out of highschool"
"had a boo boo on his thumb"

I would not describe Langford as having a low offensive or defensive IQ. I also would no describe him as a bad playmaker for a SG. From what I've seen he is at least a capable and somewhat willing passer. His defense was also suspect at times, but I've read scouting reports would have described him overall as a plus defender.

Here is an excerpt form Sam Vecenie, draft expert from the athletic:

"The upside here is reasonable. Langford is a good creator with ball in hand who understands how to play at his own tempo, never gets flustered, and has extremely high level ability to finish at the basket. He’s also a strong passer who doesn’t play selfishly at all, and was a positive defender this past season for Indiana after years of ambivalence at prep levels. There are reasons to buy into this pick if you’re a Celtics fan. Ultimately though, how useful he becomes ultimately will come down to just how efficient he can get with the jumper. A solid pick here, even if there were guys I was higher on."