Author Topic: ESPN: John Lester traded to Oakland  (Read 20315 times)

ESPN: John Lester traded to Oakland
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
The Athletics have acquired ace pitcher Jon Lester from the Red Sox in a deal that will send slugger Yoenis Cespedes to Boston, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes.

*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

Re: ESPN: John Lester traded to Oakland
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:31 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Wow, huge!!

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:08:24 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow...  Very surprising.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:17 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
Wow...  Very surprising.

Very surprising that it wasn't just a package of prospects.

Yoenis is 29 and right in the prime of his career and fresh off an all-star game a few weeks ago.

Right-handed power hitter who should protect Ortiz well and fit right in.

Surprised Oakland gave him up for what almost certainly seems like a rental.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:12:57 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Wow...  Very surprising.
Yeah a big pivot from prospect gathering trade to a good starting position player.

I guess the A's concluded he wasn't likely to repeat his rookie performance and his baseline was more line with his last two years play.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I am disappointed...

I thought that had we stuck it out and held onto him for the remainder of the year that the two sides could have come to an agreement in the offseason along the lines of 5/125.

Now that he is going to be donning another uniform, the loyalty has been severed and there will be no "home-town discount". All of those in Dreamland thinking that we will trade him and then resign him need to come back to Earth - he is gone for good.

And what did we get? A soon to be 29 YO outfielder batting 0.250 on the year? If he was to be traded, I would have preferred elite young prospects.

Count me as disappointed and underwhelmed.

What I don't get about the Lucchino Front Office Regime (and this has been the case for awhile now) is that they nickel and dime proven Boston talent and overpay for unproven Boston talent.

By that I mean - they let go of Beltre, bring in Crawford. Let go of O.Cab, bring in Renteria.

In this case, we have the most effective, durable, and consistent left handed pitcher the Sox have had in two decades who loves it here, has publicly said that he doesn't want to leave, and has only known Boston - and we say we won't pay players over 30. Then the next rumor is that we are trying to acquire Hamels? I don't get it. I'd rather pay Lester and keep our prospects.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18:09 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
I am disappointed...

I thought that had we stuck it out and held onto him for the remainder of the year that the two sides could have come to an agreement in the offseason along the lines of 5/125.

Now that he is going to be donning another uniform, the loyalty has been severed and there will be no "home-town discount". All of those in Dreamland thinking that we will trade him and then resign him need to come back to Earth - he is gone for good.

And what did we get? A soon to be 29 YO outfielder batting 0.250 on the year? If he was to be traded, I would have preferred elite young prospects.

Count me as disappointed and underwhelmed.

What I don't get about the Lucchino Front Office Regime (and this has been the case for awhile now) is that they nickel and dime proven Boston talent and overpay for unproven Boston talent.

By that I mean - they let go of Beltre, bring in Crawford. Let go of O.Cab, bring in Renteria.

In this case, we have the most effective, durable, and consistent left handed pitcher the Sox have had in two decades who loves it here, has publicly said that he doesn't want to leave, and has only known Boston - and we say we won't pay players over 30. Then the next rumor is that we are trying to acquire Hamels? I don't get it. I'd rather pay Lester and keep our prospects.

I mostly agree about paying Lester.

I get not wanting to pay big bucks in baseball, but if you're going to pay somebody big, you pay the dominant pitcher who loves it here and says he wants to be a lifer.

If we were absolutely going to trade him though, I think the Sox did pretty darn good.
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I think you overrate loyalty when it comes to FAs.

The Red Sox were still going to need the pretty much match the highest offer to retain Lester. Just like they will now.

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

You've got to love the Athletics. They have no intention of re-signing Lester, and Cespedes only has one more year on his deal anyway. They didn't give up anything they weren't ready and willing to part with.

I hope they win the world series.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:15 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Sox got a pretty good return.

Cespedes won the HR derby this year, didn't he?

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:09 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo

I believe he's won it the last two years
*CB Miami Heat*

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:58 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

He's basically a short Wily Mo Pena.

We didn't actually give up anything, though.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 10:56:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Brewer fan here.

my 2 cents-->Sox missed out on an opportunity to grab some top prospects.  I can't see Cespedes fitting into the Sox' long-term strategy and giving up a top ace like Lester has to translate into a major haul of assets.  Of course what the Sox really should have done is just sign Lester for 4/80 or 5/100 deal and make the effort to bounce back next year.  now, they're going to wish they had a pitcher of his caliber when they fall short the next several years.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:59:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Brewer fan here.

my 2 cents-->Sox missed out on an opportunity to grab some top prospects.  I can't see Cespedes fitting into the Sox' long-term strategy and giving up a top ace like Lester has to translate into a major haul of assets.  Of course what the Sox really should have done is just sign Lester for 4/80 or 5/100 deal and make the effort to bounce back next year.  now, they're going to wish they had a pitcher of his caliber when they fall short the next several years.
Red Sox stated intention is to sign him as a FA currently. Probably doesn't happen, but that's what Boston media is spinning.

Sadly I think he's going to require 120 million at least and the per year salary is going to be enormous.

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Brewer fan here.

I disagree on that price...

No way he signs for a dime less than 5/120 - minimum. Will likely take 6/140 from another team and 5/125 for the Sox (had they not moved him).

I do agree on your premise of the Sox wishing they had an ace...

Guaranteed the talking heads of Boston will be chirping next season that this team can't go anywhere without an ace, just like this year they are chirping about a lack of offense.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards