Author Topic: Mock Trade Deadline  (Read 50556 times)

Re: Mock Trade Deadline
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2018, 12:00:07 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Per Woj: Lebron's people just informed me of a major deal that he would have been part of. The Cavs asked Lebron to waive his NTC to go the Lakers, largely depleting the Lakers of their assets.

Lebron's people report that Lebron feels betrayed by this, and even if he was possibly going to the Lakers this summer, he wouldn't want them to trade all their assets to get him there now.

Boy, I'd LOVE to see what the Cavaliers would get back from the Lakers, who have already traded away Clarkson, Randle, Nance, and don't own any 2018 first rounders at the moment lol.

Yo, obviously it was too much to make Lebron say no, duh.  ;)

(The package was fair and benefited both teams immensely, but the "logic" being utilized pretty much makes any Lebron trade hopeless. It'd have to be a complete rip-off to justify waiving the NTC apparently, so why we even tried allowing NTC players to be traded is beyond me.)

« Reply #256 on: January 30, 2018, 12:02:36 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Per Woj: Lebron's people just informed me of a major deal that he would have been part of. The Cavs asked Lebron to waive his NTC to go the Lakers, largely depleting the Lakers of their assets.

Lebron's people report that Lebron feels betrayed by this, and even if he was possibly going to the Lakers this summer, he wouldn't want them to trade all their assets to get him there now.

Boy, I'd LOVE to see what the Cavaliers would get back from the Lakers, who have already traded away Clarkson, Randle, Nance, and don't own any 2018 first rounders at the moment lol.

(The package was fair and benefited both teams immensely, but the "logic" being utilized pretty much makes any Lebron trade hopeless. It'd have to be a complete rip-off to justify waiving the NTC apparently, so why we even tried allowing NTC players to be traded is beyond me.)

Wait I'm confused has a trade actually been made? And what was the rule with NTC players in this mock trade deadline again?  :P

(LOL I'm lost)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #257 on: January 30, 2018, 12:03:47 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Alright jpotter. I know you disagree. This way of determining NTC was the best idea I had. Lebron says no to that.

You are right, in real life, there are logical reasons that make any Lebron trade hopeless -- that's why he won't be traded.

You've said your piece. Time to move on.

« Reply #258 on: January 30, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Wait I'm confused has a trade actually been made? And what was the rule with NTC players in this mock trade deadline again?  :P

The rule is that certain players with NTC abilities would be easier or more difficult to trade than others.  LeBron, who has publicly indicated that he does not want to be traded midseason and would reject a trade, is obviously more difficult.  Mirotic, who had his face broken by a teammates and has asked to be traded, is easy.

You need to convince the Commish why the player would say yes.

« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2018, 12:05:54 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

(LOL I'm lost)
Without getting into specifics - a trade had been agreed upon by JPotter and I, but it involved LeBron and his NTC. So we ran it by the commish, who shot it down because he doesn't believe LA would want to give up assets in order to get him (among others).

NTC players seem to be up to the commish's judgement, as far as I can gather
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #260 on: January 30, 2018, 12:08:40 AM »

• Paul Silas

(LOL I'm lost)

A trade between two teams was agreed to, but that trade included a player with a NTC. In this case, the team receiving the player with the NTC makes an appeal to me as if I was the player, and I make the call.

In this case, Lebron refuses to wave his NTC because he could just sign at the new team anyway without that team needing to give up any assets. Also, Lebron doesn't want to be traded to a team that would have Demarcus Cousins out for this year and next, Isaiah Thomas struggling to get back to form (and possibly commanding way too much money), an old Dwyane Wade, KCP, and Kuzma. He doesn't want to waste two more years of his prime not competing for championships.

If he did want to go to the Lakers, he'd sign there in the summer and have Kuzma, Ingram, and Ball on board. Then he'd recruit Wade and anyone else he wanted to join him.

He doesn't want to leave mid-season, and he certainly doesn't want to go to the new team in a way that would be worse for the new team than if he just signed there in the summer.

« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2018, 12:12:14 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
OH OK, THANKS GUYS. I get it now.  ;D

I was like "why is @defensewinschamps, Jazz GM determining all this" but I forgot he's also the commissioner LOL.

That makes sense. TP to all.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Alright jpotter. I know you disagree. This way of determining NTC was the best idea I had. Lebron says no to that.

You are right, in real life, there are logical reasons that make any Lebron trade hopeless -- that's why he won't be traded.

You've said your piece. Time to move on.
That's an easy call. The only team I could possibly see Lebron agreeing to be traded to is Houston and he probably wouldn't do that.  He wants to be in control.  Where ever he ends up next season, his new contract will have an NTC. 

« Reply #263 on: January 30, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

(LOL I'm lost)

A trade between two teams was agreed to, but that trade included a player with a NTC. In this case, the team receiving the player with the NTC makes an appeal to me as if I was the player, and I make the call.

In this case, Lebron refuses to wave his NTC because he could just sign at the new team anyway without that team needing to give up any assets. Also, Lebron doesn't want to be traded to a team that would have Demarcus Cousins out for this year and next, Isaiah Thomas struggling to get back to form (and possibly commanding way too much money), an old Dwyane Wade, KCP, and Kuzma. He doesn't want to waste two more years of his prime not competing for championships.

If he did want to go to the Lakers, he'd sign there in the summer and have Kuzma, Ingram, and Ball on board. Then he'd recruit Wade and anyone else he wanted to join him.

He doesn't want to leave mid-season, and he certainly doesn't want to go to the new team in a way that would be worse for the new team than if he just signed there in the summer.

This right here is enough for me I think.  If he wants to go to a place and knows they have the cap space to sign him without giving up all the assets needed to acquire him in a trade, then Lebron would not waive his NTC.  I think commish was right here.

I could only see him waiving his NTC for a team that is not a small market city, would be an obvious contender with him after the trade is made, and would necessitate his bird rights to resign him.  Teams that come to mind are: Houston, Philly, or Boston.  Maybe OKC or SA.  Doubtful but possibly Minnesota.  LAL if their roster had contracts on it that necessitated bird rights to resign there.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #264 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:54 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
The logic of this rule is arbitrary, inconsistent, and dumb. Literally all of these trades are based on judgment calls that are unlikely to occur in real life given all of the other extraneous factors, e.g. finances, personal preferences, appeasing your players, etc. Hell, you could make good reasons based on individual judgment that virtually all of these trades wouldn’t happen in real life. The NO/LAL trade with Boogie is a prime example of this.

We should’ve just stated no trading NTC players to avoid some arbitrary judgment call by an inherently biased, vested party. Makes no sense to arbitrarily pick and choose which judgment factors we’re going to enforce when the entire game is essentially tied to personal judgment. All that does is waste people’s time...

« Reply #265 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:34 AM »

• Paul Silas
Alright, I appreciate the support by some, and the disagreement by others, but this thread was dedicated to announcements and rumors. Let's not derail it further.

Sorry for any frustration. Let's try to move forward and enjoy the rest of the mock trade deadline.

« Reply #266 on: January 30, 2018, 12:43:07 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
[Shams] I'm hearing word of a mega blockbuster that is being held up by one of the teams being unresponsive.  It sounds like one of the other  teams involved is considering getting all but that one team to sign off, then posting the trade to the League anyways and hoping that the unresponsive team either doesn't notice or is cool with it.   ;D

« Reply #267 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
[Shams] I'm hearing word of a mega blockbuster that is being held up by one of the teams being unresponsive.  It sounds like one of the other  teams involved is considering getting all but that one team to sign off, then posting the trade to the League anyways and hoping that the unresponsive team either doesn't notice or is cool with it.   ;D
You've got plenty of time to get it worked out.  Of course, mega blockbuster probably means very unrealistic. 

« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:27 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Cheeky ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #269 on: January 30, 2018, 08:34:15 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
@rick_bonnell - 0m ago - I'm hearing the @hornets have tentatively reached two separate deals.  Particulars still need to be finalized, but announcements should come today.  Collectively the trades should be a new direction for the team.  They are still going to be aggressive in their roster makeover both with newly acquired players and current players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip