Author Topic: Prepare for Gordon, Vonleh, or Smart  (Read 43296 times)

Re: Prepare for Gordon, Vonleh, or Smart
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2014, 02:49:43 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2487
vonleh has a huge wingspan, is athletic, strong, and is surprisingly well-coordinated, though he needs to polish his offensive game. and he plays like a true big man, the guy is big and has a good motor. i think he's going to be a stud, his skill level already looks to be better than a lot of NBA big men.
good chance he's drafted before he gets to the c's, but i hope we can nab him.
gordon is a freak... if he polishes his offense he'll be an amazing player. he'll get points just on the merits of his athleticism and energy alone; if he develops a jumpshot, watch out.
really awesome that we'll probably get one of these guys at the #6 spot.

imagine rondo, bradley, green, gordon, and olynyk on the court at once - that team would be FAST getting up and down the court.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:01:54 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2014, 03:46:14 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
I just won't believe DA would draft Smart with a sixth pick while Rondo is on the team. Not unless suspects Rondo is walking out of Boston, or DA drafts Smart as part of a trade that lands Smart on some other team.

If DA makes a pick for Boston to keep I think it will be Vonleh, Gordon or Randle

Maybe someone like Elfrid Payton with #17?  I'd be pretty chuffed to have the pick of Vonleh, Gordon or Randle at #6. 

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2014, 05:27:10 AM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
Givony likes Saric, he's just not as bullish on him as the most ardent supporters. He compares him to a prime-Turkoglu, like an engaged Turk during his best years in Orlando.

Which if it turns out to be true, would be fantastic. Saric is only 20, with his whole career ahead of him to fill and surpass those expectations, and he's got more heart than Turk ever did if reports are to be believed.

Just as much the prima-Donna though. Don't let him out of your sight in Toronto, Miami, NY, LA, or pretty much anywhere.

I thought a year ago Saric reminded me of Turkoglu because of his diverse skillset but that was only if Saric's outside shot improved.  Seeing how he's been used with Cibona, the comparison is a little more iffy.  Saric played very much like a versatile big.  He usually set screens rather than handled the ball off them.  Turkoglu was a point forward type at his best; I suppose Saric could have that capability but his time spent on the ball is more along the lines of Boris Diaw.  I think Saric's going to be more of a stretch PF in the NBA.

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2014, 06:16:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can live with the three in the original post.   

But I do want Saric and he does not even belong in the discussion at #6.   If he is there at 17 then you take a look but he will go around early teens I think.  When did 12 PPG in 32 minutes become productive? ( Saric's stats in Eurocup)

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2014, 06:30:46 AM »

fitzhickey

I'll settle for Sacto Hedo, as long as he comes with the frosted tips.

Just as long as he doesn't touch any PEDs

« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2014, 07:22:31 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'll settle for Sacto Hedo, as long as he comes with the frosted tips.

Just as long as he doesn't touch get busted for any PEDs

« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2014, 10:24:17 PM »

Offline Galeto

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 71
When I was watching the draftexpress video of Vonleh working out, it hit me who his movements reminded me of: Perry Jones.  They're both tall guys with hybrid skills who move a little awkwardly.  I think Vonleh is the player who Jones was supposed to be. 

Jones was supposed to be this PF hybrid with top shelf athleticism and all-around skills.  He's certainly athletic but he lacks overall skills.  He doesn't really rebound, dribbles with even less grace than Tony Allen and can't create much offense.  All he can do is provide solid individual defense and so-so spot up shooting so it's difficult for him to get on the floor.  By comparison, Vonleh can rebound like a full-time big is supposed to.  He's a very capable ballhandler who frequently rushed the ball up the floor in high school.  He's a good enough ballhandler and quick enough to break down defenders from the three point line.