Author Topic: The Let's Keep Shav Thread  (Read 5186 times)

Re: The Let's Keep Shav Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 08:33:31 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Shav will be turning 30 in November. He is not in our long range plans. Unless we can trade some players between now and Aug 1, I would say to cut him.
This is true, but like Birdman said, he's better than Melo and the team needs guys who can play the center position and are also taller than 6'8". I have zero confidence that Melo is going to develop into anything.

Who plays center?  Humphries is my projection for the starting job with Sully doing some minutes there, but you need another big body so I would go with Shav.

There's plenty of more expensive pieces that this team can unload to get under the luxury tax.

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 08:34:13 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Meh. Shav played all right in garbage time.

And he played better when he got quality minutes. But then the minutes went away, I don't know why, but he was solid when he got meaningful minutes.

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
If Shav plays, rebounds like he was doing last year, he will be a cheap expiring option for someone at the deadline who think they are a rebounder away from contending... maybe Golden State for instance.  He might be really valuable in that case, even if not for us long term.

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 11:38:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

And he played better when he got quality minutes. But then the minutes went away, I don't know why, but he was solid when he got meaningful minutes.

Against whom?

It's a legitimate question--I don't usually have the opportunity to watch many Celtics games during the winter, so I didn't see much Shav--and what I did see was often during the aforementioned garbage time.

My dad was on the Shavwagon, though, and said many things that echo the sentiment I've seen in threads about him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 11:43:12 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
He's the new Stiemsma (cheap, happens to fit a particular gap really nicely, and has a positive work ethic). We should keep him for the time being.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

Against whom?

It's a legitimate question--I don't usually have the opportunity to watch many Celtics games during the winter, so I didn't see much Shav--and what I did see was often during the aforementioned garbage time.

My dad was on the Shavwagon, though, and said many things that echo the sentiment I've seen in threads about him.

Against everyone really, he was 9th in OREB per 36/min and 16th overall in REB per/36.  His fg% was 17th.  He was tied with Asik in blocks per/36 at 78th.  He was just an overall pretty effective guy when he was in there.

I remember a game against the Hawks, and I remember it well because one of the blocks is my PC background, where Shav blocked two attempted dunks. 

Now can he keep that up over longer stretches?  Probably not.  But he could get into a better offensive flow with more minutes and do some scoring.

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:33:33 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I'd like to keep him. He's cheap and has a useful skill. However I'm not losing any sleep if he gets cut.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.