Author Topic: The Long, Slow Decline  (Read 13524 times)

Re: The Long, Slow Decline
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:42:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
I am expecting more of a gradual decline, for the team to remain in the playoffs for the next two seasons. I would be surprised if they ended up in the lottery.

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 12:45:50 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well, it may take three years rather than two to hit the lottery, but lottery-bound they are unless Ainge acts quickly.

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Well, it may take three years rather than two to hit the lottery, but lottery-bound they are unless Ainge acts quickly.
They'll have a lot of cap space in 2012. It depends on how well they use it. They could end up in the lottery the following season, or more likely be a solid playoff team (45 win team), or least likely manage to build another near contender through free agency.

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 12:47:27 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
You have to stop thinking about getting better and start thinking about getting younger.

I'd rather think about getting better. We did the young thing for years and stunk to high heaven.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
You have to stop thinking about getting better and start thinking about getting younger.

I'd rather think about getting better. We did the young thing for years and stunk to high heaven.

I agree.  Plus, we can think about getting younger in a few years.  My feeling is that no matter what deals we make, we're going to have some sort of period of decline.  We might as well try to do everything possible with what we have now. 

I still think this team has a shot at winning another title or two if they can stay healthy. 

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
All this doom and gloom is surprising to me.  Your team is one Ray Allen trade away from being very good again.

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2010, 01:01:18 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
All this doom and gloom is surprising to me.  Your team is one Ray Allen trade away from being very good again.

Trust me, this sentiment is not shared by everyone on this board. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 01:02:24 PM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129

I agree.  Plus, we can think about getting younger in a few years.  My feeling is that no matter what deals we make, we're going to have some sort of period of decline.  We might as well try to do everything possible with what we have now. 

I still think this team has a shot at winning another title or two if they can stay healthy. 

I think you have to pretty much count KG out, right?  It really looks like his knee just isn't going to be back to normal and with his age, chances of his knee getting back to normal have to be slim.  

Moving Ray would be huge for Boston.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
All this doom and gloom is surprising to me.  Your team is one Ray Allen trade away from being very good again.

I think this team is still very good. It's just not playing that way right now. I've not given up on them yet.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Given how this trading season seems to be going, I've resigned myself to the long, slow decine.  The saddest part, I think will be watching Garnett and Pierce ending their respective careers limping through a 30-35 win season two years from now.

I will have to start watching fewer games and become more interested in other diversions.   

Sorry to hear you feel this way but there are other opportunities out there. I found one in Wichita St basketball last night. I watched that game instead of the All-star game. I happen to think that this will be Doc Rivers last season coaching the Celtics. Next year Tom Thibadeaux takes over and hopefully all the cancers will be out of here.
I would hope we could get a better coach that Thibs if we were to switch during the off season.

I don't see a different head coach getting Pierce and KG to move faster though.

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2010, 01:27:05 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
It doesn't matter if the championship was "worth it" or not.  Let's assume that it was.

That championship happened two years ago, and has no bearing on what the Celtics must do going forward.  The issue now is the next championship, not the last one.

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
It doesn't matter if the championship was "worth it" or not.  Let's assume that it was.

That championship happened two years ago, and has no bearing on what the Celtics must do going forward.  The issue now is the next championship, not the last one.

But whether we start now or in two years really isn't going to matter very much.  Our next championship with a new re-tooled team is very far away with little chance of actually occurring. 

I'd rather see if this team can still do something.  It wasn't two years ago the last time they were dominant: it was two months ago. 

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2010, 01:34:47 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney

But whether we start now or in two years really isn't going to matter very much.  Our next championship with a new re-tooled team is very far away with little chance of actually occurring. 

I'd rather see if this team can still do something.  It wasn't two years ago the last time they were dominant: it was two months ago. 
I agree. If KG is really done then it won't matter what we do for some time now. I do not want some panic trade just to be doing something.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2010, 01:34:49 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
I think they would have a much better chance of winning this year with Ellis and Biedrins.  Right now they have about a 2-3% chance.  If the make the trade, that probably goes to 10%.

And it makes even more of a difference next year.  The downside is the luxury tax. There is no basketball downside, barring freak injuries, but those could happen to Allen or Perkins too.  

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
I think they would have a much better chance of winning this year with Ellis and Biedrins.  Right now they have about a 2-3% chance.  If the make the trade, that probably goes to 10%.

And it makes even more of a difference next year.  The downside is the luxury tax. There is no basketball downside, barring freak injuries, but those could happen to Allen or Perkins too.  

I don't agree about your opinion on the trade; however, whether we have a 2% chance to win or a 10% chance, it's likely a better chance to win a championship then we'll have in 3 years from now, no matter what we do in the meantime. 

I wouldn't be in a rush to blow this thing up.