Poll

If you're Ainge, do you keep Rozier for another season to contend for a title? Or trade for an asset?

This bench (as constituted now) is invaluable. Ainge should preserve it and and pursue a championship
13 (26%)
Rozier is good, but not irreplaceable. Ainge should shop him as a trade piece and see what he can get for him
23 (46%)
I like what Rozier provides. I'd wait up to the trade deadline next season. But otherwise, keep him on the team.
14 (28%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: What to do w/ Rozier in offseason. Trade for an asset? Or keep for a title run?  (Read 8814 times)

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I still think the best use for him is in a trade package for a star level big with some youth.

I also think if one of the top 2 or 3 big men in this draft has star level potential and the Celtics do not get the Lakers pick, trade Rozier and one of the future picks to get in position to try and draft that big man.   

If this team is sold on the future around Irving, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, and Horford, there just isn't the minutes nor the starting spot that Rozier wants and is earning with his play.   Try to get value out of it while it is at it's highest, before teams lose the ability keep him. 

But if there is no offer that helps the team next year or in the future, keep him.

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468
If the C's kept Rozier would they be able to win with the below lineup.  You can hopefully sign Baynes on the cheap to start against bigger lineups or Theis can take that role. This appeases Rozier's want to start but you lose the length advantage with Brown at SG and Tatum at SF.  The better Terry gets the more I want the C's to keep him and Smart.  The C's are not in the 2nd round without Terry.

PG - Kyrie
G - Rozier
SF - Jaylen
PF - Tatum
C - Horford

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If the C's kept Rozier would they be able to win with the below lineup.  You can hopefully sign Baynes on the cheap to start against bigger lineups or Theis can take that role. This appeases Rozier's want to start but you lose the length advantage with Brown at SG and Tatum at SF.  The better Terry gets the more I want the C's to keep him and Smart.  The C's are not in the 2nd round without Terry.

PG - Kyrie
G - Rozier
SF - Jaylen
PF - Tatum
C - Horford

Problem is they are not going to play Rozier over Hayward. 

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Would anyone consider trading Rozier for a top 3 pick in this year's draft? I figure it would be nice to use the pick to draft one of the top-tier big men in the draft (e.g. DeAndre Ayton (high unlikely to happen, as I don't see Rozier getting us the 1st overall pick), Marvin Bagley or maybe even Mohamed Bamba), as we really lack a good player at the center position.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Would anyone consider trading Rozier for a top 3 pick in this year's draft? I figure it would be nice to use the pick to draft one of the top-tier big men in the draft (e.g. DeAndre Ayton (high unlikely to happen), Marvin Bagley or maybe Mohamed Bamba), as we really lack a good player at the center position.

No chance to get that with just Rozier.   I would include a future pick (Sac, Memphis) to get one of the big men for next season. 

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would anyone consider trading Rozier for a top 3 pick in this year's draft? I figure it would be nice to use the pick to draft one of the top-tier big men in the draft (e.g. DeAndre Ayton (high unlikely to happen, as I don't see Rozier getting us the 1st overall pick), Marvin Bagley or maybe even Mohamed Bamba), as we really lack a good player at the center position.

A top 3 pick team isn't trading that pick away for Terry Rozier.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green

How about Rozier and the LA (Sac) pick that we own?

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • I Bleed Green
Would anyone consider trading Rozier for a top 3 pick in this year's draft? I figure it would be nice to use the pick to draft one of the top-tier big men in the draft (e.g. DeAndre Ayton (high unlikely to happen), Marvin Bagley or maybe Mohamed Bamba), as we really lack a good player at the center position.

No chance to get that with just Rozier.   I would include a future pick (Sac, Memphis) to get one of the big men for next season.
The future pick would definitely make the scenario more realistic. I would also do the trade if it means that we are getting one of the top big men in the draft.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

No chance.  Rozier has the opportunity to be a good to great PG for a long time.  That's simply not good enough for a top 3 pick.  Teams picking in the top 3 are looking for a transcendent talent, especially with the consensus being that this draft is loaded.

Philly also keeps the 2019 Kings pick if it lands at #1.  Realistically Rozier MIGHT be able to land us a mid-late lottery pick.  Another lottery pick + expiring rotation player is a realistic return for Danny Ainge. 

Even this is difficult because Rozier is going to become a restricted free agent after next season.  Rookie deals have become increasingly valuable in the modern NBA.  Any team who wants Rozier is better off forcing Boston to match a contract offer in 2019 rather than trade a top asset. 

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743

I'm of a mind to keep Rozier and see if this team can win a championship next season.

But, if Rozier and the Sac pick keep be traded for, say, Jaren Jackson, is that worth it?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
gHere's the deal:

This team, healthy, is a 65 plus win team if we bring back Smart and Rozier.  Clear favorites to win the Eastern Conference, and probably neck and neck vs. GSW for all the marbles. Frankly, would really like our chances vs. the Warriors, we would match up very well vs. them. 

So why on earth would we even think of trading Terry Rozier?  That assumes that he has somehow peaked.  Dude is just getting started. 

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Wyc is a fan, and he gets it. I don't see him and the rest of the ownership group hesitating to pay the luxury tax knowing this team is special AND young, they can contend for years and rake in playoff game revenue and merchandising.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
gHere's the deal:

This team, healthy, is a 65 plus win team if we bring back Smart and Rozier.  Clear favorites to win the Eastern Conference, and probably neck and neck vs. GSW for all the marbles. Frankly, would really like our chances vs. the Warriors, we would match up very well vs. them. 

So why on earth would we even think of trading Terry Rozier?  That assumes that he has somehow peaked.  Dude is just getting started.

I'm with you at this point.  Ainge has done such an incredible job of accumulating assets.  It's worth risking the loss of Rozier for nothing to win a title.  The return for Terry would need to be an offer that Ainge can't say no to.  At the end of the day we still have the LA/SAC, Memphis, and Clippers picks over the next 3-4 years.  Rozier is also the ultimate insurance policy for Kyrie if his knee problems become a lingering issue.

We know Ainge is going to field many calls for Rozier but I think he will hold off on a deal unless it's the usual highway robbery.   

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I think everyone has to admit that this playoff run is solidifying a very high value for Rozier, Tatum and Smart , and even Semi going into this summer. We could reasonably use Rozier plus one of Tatum/Brown and the Kings pick for Anthony Davis once the Warriors sweep New Orleans.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I think everyone has to admit that this playoff run is solidifying a very high value for Rozier, Tatum and Smart , and even Semi going into this summer. We could reasonably use Rozier plus one of Tatum/Brown and the Kings pick for Anthony Davis once the Warriors sweep New Orleans.

You are right about Rozier's value.  I'm still not so sure about a Davis trade unless he puts pressure on the organization.  I think they are more likely to pursue a sign & trade revolving around Demarcus Cousins.  A scoring wing would be a nice addition to their Davis, Rondo, and Holiday core.  Depending on how things play out the Pelicans also have the opportunity to enter the 2019 off-season with enough cap room for a max free agent.  Who knows what the landscape of the NBA will look like going into 2019.  There might be opportunities to pair another Superstar with Davis.   

An organization needs to have a very strong faith in their ability to draft and develop talent by making a trade like that, especially because the LA/Kings pick isn't 100% guaranteed.   Imagine if the Pelicans make that deal and end up with a 2020 Sixers pick in the 25-30 range.  At that point a return of Jaylen/Tatum and Rozier for Davis isn't worth it.  The new lottery odds have made it more difficult to emulate the 76ers "process".