Author Topic: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum  (Read 173144 times)

Re: Conduct In The Game Threads Forum
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2011, 05:34:30 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I agree that the game threads' usual insightftul discussions and cheering for the C's have long be gone and it's not a pleasure anymore to post in them, it even gets frustrating more often than not.

Obviously you can't force posters to stick to certain opinions and never be negative but the line has been crossed repeatedly lately. I remember a time when threads were filled with positive posts and "I still believe!" comments even when the situation looked bad for the team in some games. I remember seeing a lot of motivational videos or pictures, funny ones and motivating ones, a good mood full of hope, some kind of confidence and most of all togetherness as fans.

To me, now it seems like we are not a united Celtics fans group but that we are divided between "optimist Celtics fans" (known by the others as "homers") and "pessimistic Celtics fans" (known by the others as "haters/debbie downers"). It seems caricatural but the reality is not that far from it and it's a shame. Every time I post messages like "things look bad but we can still do it" I see people approving my comment and others saying I'm a homer, etc. It's not what I call constructive discussions.

With that said, what can we do about it? Well I think the first thing (obvious maybe but still) is to keep posting. I know the threads get so annoying at times you just want to shut them down and stay away but every poster has to keep in the threads.  Then just take the comments from other posters with some kind of distance, the important thing is to react and discuss some points you may or may not agree with, not to label someone into a category or shout at them because they don't share your opinion.

And finally I think it's important that posters cheer in unity whenever the team is making a good run or making a comeback.

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:41 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I feel that the controversial subjects such as Jeff Green, Big Baby, Rondo, Doc, etc. bring out fire in Celtics fan.

It is fine to get into a debate with a Celtic fan, but keep in mind we all have the same goal here, and thats 18...no one should harass another member for their views.

Calling out Glen Davis on the other hand, for his poorous play, in my opinion, is perfectly fine, right?

I don't think the problem is with "calling out players"; my personal opinion is that if a player isn't playing well, then fans have a right to criticise them.

However, at the same time, I don't think anyone has a right to attack players, Doc, other fans, etc., and from what I've seen, there's been a lot of that in the game threads.   

I agree with this. Iīm perfectly fine with posters who criticize Baby for bad play. However, most of the posts in the game thread degenerate to a bunch of "Yo Momma" jokes, with a lot of unnecessary vitriol, many of them already in the first quarter of games in which Baby really didnīt play bad. It seems like people are using 50/50 situations to justify their anger about the whole situation. Maybe theyīre just looking for Tommy Points...

On topic, Iīm certainly not a person who has a problem with negative posts, criticism is good and necessary if itīs meant to be constructive, but even I can see that the game threads have become hard to read.

Several things:

1. Criticism is not constructive if itīs a simple "This team sucks". That isnīt criticism, itīs venting.

2. The above is especially true during the playoffs, maybe even after the trade deadline. What you see is what you get. This team wonīt change, no matter how hard you scream.

3. Itīs not more than a handful of people who are massively negative in the game threads.

4. Iīve seen "this team sucks because of stat X" posts even when weīre up, or in the first quarter of a game. This is absolutely ridiculous and shows a lack of any sort of context and thus interest in constructive criticism.

5. Just because you repeat your opinion every day doesnīt make it more valid. This goes for every opinion, positive or negative.

My simple solution, and I know this goes against the spirit of Celticsblog, is an "ignore list". Itīs what you do in real life with people you canīt stand, donīt care about their opinion or tell you "the end is near" to avoid constant debates, in-fighting or bad mood.

Ignore lists are not perfect, because they lead some people to ignore anyone who is of opposite opinion, and the exchange of different opinions is what makes the blog great. They also invite some people to show other posters a lack of respect, by telling them they are on their respective lists (which could be circumvented by an additional rule). Still, they would dramatically decrease the amount of in-fighting in game threads.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Congts to the naysayers for holding off this long. Your self controls is impressive. Last year this issue cropped up much earlier.

Here is a good example of what not to do.

I'm assuming you meant your post. I'm just adding a little levity to the situation without singling anyone out. I don't go to the game threads that often.

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

I would disagree with this. "naysayer" is meant to group people based on their general (at this point in time) negative viewpoint. I guess I could have said detractors, would that have been better? "kool-aid drinkers" is a term that is meant to demean the opinion of people with a positive viewpoint.

yeah, but in the context of your post "naysayers" had a similarly demeaning and dismissive tone.  you may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it comes across.

it's not so much which word you chose to use, it's the fact that you implied that what those sorts of people post on the forum is not about what's actually happening on the court but is simply a result of who they are as people (e.g. that they require "self control" to keep from posting negative things about the team regardless of the circumstances).  that's similar but opposite to the connotation of "kool aid drinkers."

Aside from the jest in my post, you read way too much meaning into a single word. Would you have been happier with "people who wish to post strongly negative opinions"? Because, frankly, naysayer is shorter and generally doesn't imply a lack of self control. Most of the more negative posters enjoy referring to themselves as realists, but they don't really have the track record to make that claim.

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 11:23:59 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Warning, long post ahead:

I have a rule of thumb about sports:  I watch them for pleasure, and if something sports-related starts to make me unhappy, I get away from it as soon as possible.  Like a lot of posters, lately the game threads have fallen into that category.

I joined this site during the championship year, and maybe the biggest shock of that season was when we fell behind early in Game 5 against Cleveland.  Despite the series being 2-2, and it being early in the 2nd quarter, multiple game thread posters started loudly and angrily declaring that the season was over and Danny and Doc had ruined the team.  We all know how that game, series, and season turned out, of course.

Now it's three years later and many of the same people (and some new ones) have been doing the exact same thing for those three seasons, up to and including Tuesday's game.  Which is basically my main point - a lot of the posters that are driving people away from the game threads have complained and Chicken Little'd their way through 4 straight seasons of elite basketball, including one ring, one Finals run, and one TBD.  Some of them claimed the season was over and we were doomed during the first half of Game 1 against NY.  Some have declared the game to be over and the C's guaranteed a loss in 5 of our 6 playoff game threads.  I have no doubt those trends will continue for as long as our run does.

Which is ultimately what makes the situation frustrating - while criticism of the team is completely reasonable and should be welcomed here, the constant complaining and Doomsdaying in the game threads has very little to do with how the team is actually playing, and everything to do with how some fans cope with stress.

I've enjoyed the game threads in the past and would like to do so again. But ultimately I don't know what can be done to fix the situation. There's no realistic or fair way of regulating this kind of stuff, and I wouldn't put it on the mods to enforce it if there was; they do enough around here as it is.  An ignore feature is distasteful but I'd embrace it at this point; I have no idea if that's feasible, though.  In the meantime, I suppose I'll live up to my login, and just pop around when we're winning, and leave the bad times to those who see them everywhere anyway.

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 12:28:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My two cents which channels my inner PLamb...

I used to love going to the game threads and there was seldom a time where I missed one for a period of about 2+ years on this blog. I had a ball. Yes, most of what I did was cheering for the Celtics, pointing out great plays by both teams playing, countering negative thought, and in general acting like I would if I was down the street at the local pub having a beer with the local crowd cheering the team on. I loved that feeling of camaraderie and made a lot of cyber-friends on this blog by visiting the threads.

But somewhere around the time KG got hurt in 2008-09 things changed in the  game threads. No longer were some people being critical but they had stepped over the line and become downright negative and hostile constantly spouting about the eventual demise of the team whether it was about a particular game, the season, a playoff series or as a whole. And they did it during the beginnings of games, at the half and during the end. They did it whether up big numbers, down big numbers or in a close game. it didn't matter it was always the same.

I put up with it for a while and then decided to try to start a separate game thread for people who wanted to just cheer on their team and not have to put up with the negativity. That was shot down. Those shouting the negative comments the loudest didn't like the idea and the mods and Jeff didn't want to give offense to FLCeltsFan for her work and thought a division of the blog into negatives and positives was a bad thing.

I see their points but in many ways the game threads have become what the Current Events forum was before Jeff shut it down. it's become mean, nasty, unenjoyable, and is driving people from the threads and the blog.

Now if I go to a bar and watch the game locally most people are going to be Celtics fans and most are going to cheer on the team. If however, there is a group that come to the bar that is constantly heckling the team out loud and causing people to not enjoy the game and hence not drink as much or not frequent the bar as much, the management of that bar is going to ask them to pipe the freak down or leave because it is costing him money.

I'm not talking about an occasional group of fans from the other team that comes in and cheers the opposing team on I'm talking about regulars that are just being caustic for the sake of being caustic. The bar owner or management isn't going to put up with those types of patrons that create a bad atmosphere and drive money and patrons away. they just won't.

Am I saying to throw those who are constantly being negative out of the game threads? Well, I guess I am but, no, that's not what I would want. But perhaps a new set of rules for the game threads should be put into place to make the environment better.

The emotional adrenaline during game threads is easily higher than at any other time when you are posting. Have some care to know that being excessively negative while others are emotionally invested in a game is probably not the best way to be within a group dynamic as it is going to cause problems. Set the rules to temper such things and let the populace in the game threads police themselves with the report to moderator buttons. If the mods get too many realistic complaints about a certain person for comments within the game threads, bar them from the threads. Temporarily at first but with a three strike rule.

Such rules have worked great within the Current Events area and that area, while still contentious, is much tamer than it was and has remained a forum in the blog even though many have been kicked out of the area.

Again, just my two cents.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Congts to the naysayers for holding off this long. Your self controls is impressive. Last year this issue cropped up much earlier.

Here is a good example of what not to do.

I'm assuming you meant your post. I'm just adding a little levity to the situation without singling anyone out. I don't go to the game threads that often.

Fair enough.  But using a term like "naysayers" (or, say, "kool-aid drinkers") to dismissively categorize a group of posters is the sort of thing the people are talking about as a problem.

I would disagree with this. "naysayer" is meant to group people based on their general (at this point in time) negative viewpoint. I guess I could have said detractors, would that have been better? "kool-aid drinkers" is a term that is meant to demean the opinion of people with a positive viewpoint.

yeah, but in the context of your post "naysayers" had a similarly demeaning and dismissive tone.  you may not have meant it that way, but that's the way it comes across.

it's not so much which word you chose to use, it's the fact that you implied that what those sorts of people post on the forum is not about what's actually happening on the court but is simply a result of who they are as people (e.g. that they require "self control" to keep from posting negative things about the team regardless of the circumstances).  that's similar but opposite to the connotation of "kool aid drinkers."
That's not the problem.  The problem is the "naysayers."  The "kool aid drinkers" as you call them, aren't the ones all in everybody's face with their opinion, and if they were it would likely add to whatever discussion rather than derail it.

It's the "naysayers" that call out the "kool aid drinkers."  You apparently have got it mixed up since you created in your mind that BballTim called you guys out, but at least you got it right by calling him out in return.

Put it this way, when the Celtics are playing well and you switch roles does anybody get mad at you for saying positive things about the Celtics on a pro-Celtics website?  Or do most of those people just find a Lakers site in order to get their dose of contradiction?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 03:51:11 PM »

Offline blackberry33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
What about all the negativity towards players and management? All it does is throw wood on the fire. It gets way out of control.

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
My two cents which channels my inner PLamb...

I used to love going to the game threads and there was seldom a time where I missed one for a period of about 2+ years on this blog. I had a ball. Yes, most of what I did was cheering for the Celtics, pointing out great plays by both teams playing, countering negative thought, and in general acting like I would if I was down the street at the local pub having a beer with the local crowd cheering the team on. I loved that feeling of camaraderie and made a lot of cyber-friends on this blog by visiting the threads.

But somewhere around the time KG got hurt in 2008-09 things changed in the  game threads. No longer were some people being critical but they had stepped over the line and become downright negative and hostile constantly spouting about the eventual demise of the team whether it was about a particular game, the season, a playoff series or as a whole. And they did it during the beginnings of games, at the half and during the end. They did it whether up big numbers, down big numbers or in a close game. it didn't matter it was always the same.

I put up with it for a while and then decided to try to start a separate game thread for people who wanted to just cheer on their team and not have to put up with the negativity. That was shot down. Those shouting the negative comments the loudest didn't like the idea and the mods and Jeff didn't want to give offense to FLCeltsFan for her work and thought a division of the blog into negatives and positives was a bad thing.

I see their points but in many ways the game threads have become what the Current Events forum was before Jeff shut it down. it's become mean, nasty, unenjoyable, and is driving people from the threads and the blog.

Now if I go to a bar and watch the game locally most people are going to be Celtics fans and most are going to cheer on the team. If however, there is a group that come to the bar that is constantly heckling the team out loud and causing people to not enjoy the game and hence not drink as much or not frequent the bar as much, the management of that bar is going to ask them to pipe the freak down or leave because it is costing him money.

I'm not talking about an occasional group of fans from the other team that comes in and cheers the opposing team on I'm talking about regulars that are just being caustic for the sake of being caustic. The bar owner or management isn't going to put up with those types of patrons that create a bad atmosphere and drive money and patrons away. they just won't.

Am I saying to throw those who are constantly being negative out of the game threads? Well, I guess I am but, no, that's not what I would want. But perhaps a new set of rules for the game threads should be put into place to make the environment better.

The emotional adrenaline during game threads is easily higher than at any other time when you are posting. Have some care to know that being excessively negative while others are emotionally invested in a game is probably not the best way to be within a group dynamic as it is going to cause problems. Set the rules to temper such things and let the populace in the game threads police themselves with the report to moderator buttons. If the mods get too many realistic complaints about a certain person for comments within the game threads, bar them from the threads. Temporarily at first but with a three strike rule.

Such rules have worked great within the Current Events area and that area, while still contentious, is much tamer than it was and has remained a forum in the blog even though many have been kicked out of the area.

Again, just my two cents.

I agree with alot of this. I still go on occasionally in the reg season but no way during the playoffs when I am so invested would I even click on the thread. I would get too angry and post things that I would regret.

Its too bad. The concept was really fun for a while.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2011, 03:59:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
To everyone who is worried that they aren't cool enough for the cool kids' table, you probably aren't..but we'll take you anyways.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I think for a lot of us that don't live near Boston...or watch games with other boston fans....game threads are a way to watch games with other C fans. I certainly can't vent my worries...fears...happiness..joy...whatever to my wife during the games...

It is nice to see there are other fans obsessed with the Celtics to the point they post here for some sort of therapy or reassurance no matter how bad things get. I don't mind the positive posts even when all things look lost...i don't mind the negative posts when all things look good...or the ones that border on both.

Game threads are real time reaction posts...people post their feelings at as things are happening...good or bad...and i think that isn't such a bad thing

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2011, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Perhaps you could consider a game venting thread. Than people who like to spend the whole game complaining could go there and complain to eash other to their hearts content.
I mean you could certainly keep the rules about swaring and personal attacks in place, but let people vent there displeasure without bothering those who don't care for the negitivity.

I don't think I'm a negitive guy, but there are times when I find myself yelling at the TV. Why know give me a place to yell here?

Just a thought.

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think for a lot of us that don't live near Boston...or watch games with other boston fans....game threads are a way to watch games with other C fans. I certainly can't vent my worries...fears...happiness..joy...whatever to my wife during the games...

It is nice to see there are other fans obsessed with the Celtics to the point they post here for some sort of therapy or reassurance no matter how bad things get. I don't mind the positive posts even when all things look lost...i don't mind the negative posts when all things look good...or the ones that border on both.

Game threads are real time reaction posts...people post their feelings at as things are happening...good or bad...and i think that isn't such a bad thing
Says the guy that told us no less than 7 times that Miami would win the series in 5 games before the end of the third quarter the other night and said

"tonight could be the night where it all ends for this team"

at the 7 minute mark of the 2nd quarter with the scored tied.

Come on cio!!!! Are you really enjoying the game threads by constantly telling the rest of us how bad the C's are, how good Miami is, how the C's will only win one game in the series, how horrible KG is playing and how horrible Baby is playing?

Go back and read your posts you made in the game thread and other game threads. They do not appear to be the quotes of a man who is enjoying himself or even attempting to fit in with a pro-Celtics crowd. If you were saying those things in a local Boston bar, constantly and out loud, management would cut you off and ask you to leave because you were ruining the atmosphere in their bar.

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2011, 05:44:00 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Says the guy that told us no less than 7 times that Miami would win the series in 5 games before the end of the third quarter the other night and said

"tonight could be the night where it all ends for this team"

at the 7 minute mark of the 2nd quarter with the scored tied.

Come on cio!!!! Are you really enjoying the game threads by constantly telling the rest of us how bad the C's are, how good Miami is, how the C's will only win one game in the series, how horrible KG is playing and how horrible Baby is playing?

Go back and read your posts you made in the game thread and other game threads. They do not appear to be the quotes of a man who is enjoying himself or even attempting to fit in with a pro-Celtics crowd. If you were saying those things in a local Boston bar, constantly and out loud, management would cut you off and ask you to leave because you were ruining the atmosphere in their bar.

just call them as I see them. When the Cs play poorly...I am not afraid to say it. When they play well..I point that also...I really could careless about fitting in.

And yes it is MY OPINION....I would hope that a blog would welcome the opinions of anyone...good, bad or neutral...

If you think it is me ruining the "atmosphere" then I will not come around anymore...but sorry if I can't be roses and unicorns when they look bad.

« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2011, 05:45:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Please don't call each other out in this thread.  There's room for people to express different opinions, without this turning into (yet another) positive vs. negative thread.

Rather than venting frustration toward each other, this would be much more productive if people could 1) identify their issues, and 2) offer some ideas.  There's been some good stuff in that regard; there's no need to inflame that by casting blame.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

TP. This is how I feel too.

***I posted this before I finished reading the next few posts. And I still agree with you. I've never felt like you were trolling. You just say what is on the mind. I thought that is what the game thread was for. IMO, I would love for you to stay around. Same with Nick. Both of you bring a lot to the game threads although in different ways. Like I said earlier, fans are all different. The one thing we all have in common though, is that we sacrifice our time for the greatest basketball team ever. The Boston Celtics.*** :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 06:06:26 PM by Chief »
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird