Author Topic: RIP Sports Illustrated?  (Read 9233 times)

RIP Sports Illustrated?
« on: January 19, 2024, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I cancelled my subscription years ago because the quality seemed to be going downhill plus I was getting more and more of my news and reading from the internet but still sad to see possibly the end of an era.

When I was a kid, I remember running to the mailbox to get the newest issue (my dad had a subscription).  It was must reading and some of the best sports photography out there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: RIP Sports Illustrated?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I remember running to the mailbox hoping my Sporting News was there, only way I got info on sports
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 02:57:11 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I never subscribed, but throughout my junior high/high school/college years, spanning the late ’80s through the late ’90s, I loved seeing the awesome photography in SI, and the articles were usually quite good.

Unfortunately, for all the good things about the internet age, it has caused the demise of print publications, and to me that's really sad. I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper, and have done lots of print newspaper reading in my adult years. I studied journalism in college, and my first 10 years in the full-time workforce were spent as a copy editor for daily newspaper in Maine and SoCal. I love the printed word. I do some reading of Kindle books, but for me, nothing can match the experience of holding a hard copy, an actual physical book, or an actual physical newspaper or magazine. Not all progress is progress.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 02:59:59 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
SI fell a long, long way.  I'm sad to see them go, though.  I remember the first year my parents bought me an SI subscription as a kid.  I even got a "football phone", even though we didn't have a second landline.  Then came the first swimsuit issue.  Good times!

And, the value was there.  It was $50 or less for a year's worth of weekly issues, with some really top notch articles.

Fast forward a few decades, and they've got AI "writing" their articles under the bylines of non-existent authors.  Sad.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 03:01:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
Unfortunately, all news can be found on the Internet and social media nowadays. They're moving on with the times.

SI was a great time to live through tho.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 03:03:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
One of the best SI covers of all-time.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 03:03:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I never subscribed, but throughout my junior high/high school/college years, spanning the late ’80s through the late ’90s, I loved seeing the awesome photography in SI, and the articles were usually quite good.

Unfortunately, for all the good things about the internet age, it has caused the demise of print publications, and to me that's really sad. I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper, and have done lots of print newspaper reading in my adult years. I studied journalism in college, and my first 10 years in the full-time workforce were spent as a copy editor for daily newspaper in Maine and SoCal. I love the printed word. I do some reading of Kindle books, but for me, nothing can match the experience of holding a hard copy, an actual physical book, or an actual physical newspaper or magazine. Not all progress is progress.

Agreed.  I read a lot of sports articles online these days, but it's a difference experience.  Same thing with the  Sunday Globe sports section.  I'd buy that weekly; even when outside of New England I'd find a store that carried it.  Now, I think most places would look at you like you had two heads if you tried to pick up an out-of-town newspaper.  If they ever take physical books away, I don't think I'll be able to cope.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 03:06:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Agreed.  I read a lot of sports articles online these days, but it's a difference experience.  Same thing with the  Sunday Globe sports section.  I'd buy that weekly; even when outside of New England I'd find a store that carried it.  Now, I think most places would look at you like you had two heads if you tried to pick up an out-of-town newspaper.  If they ever take physical books away, I don't think I'll be able to cope.

An absolute must growing up.  Ryan, McDonough, Gammons, etc....

The writing was so good.  Now you have freakin' Ben Volin. 

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 03:17:12 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar

100% agreed. Watching local media get gutted over the last 25 years or so has been very hard to watch, and all of that has a knock on effect on the national discourse that's been rarely remarked upon - or not remarked upon enough when it happens to appear as a footnote to, say, the old SBNation being unsustainable.

Unfortunately, most physical media outlets never really figured out how to get people to pay for things after the internet became ubiquitous - and most digital outlets have never really figured out how to get people to pay for things once it because clear that good content on the internet was something that would have to be paid for.

Now, you either have to know very smart people and make the effort to talk to them regularly about topics that interest you (like we do on CB and some people used to on Twitter et al), or you have to know where to go to pay for the good stuff; provided, of course, you can afford to pay for it. We've gone full circle, in some ways.

This couple of paragraphs from Defector - a good sports blog that I recommend subscribing to -  on the news that Pitchfork is joining the 27 club kind of sums up the shell game that ownership of most modern news websites (especially the good ones, with 'brand value') wind up going through.
Beyond gutting Pitchfork's staff, it's not clear what exactly being brought under the auspices of GQ will mean for the publication. But it feels safe to assume that it will become a smaller, dimmer version of what it was before it became the latest victim of the ongoing implosion of music journalism. This is a corner of the media industry that has been hit particularly hard by consolidation and downsizing. When I was laid off from Spin in 2018, I was part of a downsizing of a collection of music brands including Vibe and Billboard.

The idea was that the brands these publications represented still had value, but that the journalism they produced didn't, and therefore the sites would be better off as little more than engines for listicles and veiled ad copy. Stereogum ended up having to go the indie route, and now more or less runs off reader support.

Meanwhile, throughout the industry, features and reporting and music reviews have taken a backseat as companies push for more social media and video content. What has filled the vacuum left behind by actual music criticism is a loose collection of YouTubers and influencers who feed slop to their younger audiences, and fan communities that engage with music solely through their obsession with a particular pop act. This has all helped produce a mass of music fans who don't understand the value of criticism and outright detest being told the things they like might suck.
https://defector.com/music-journalism-cant-afford-a-hollowed-out-pitchfork

I don't particularly mourn Pitchfork (or the modern-day SI, to be honest) - but I do find it very frustrating that, because it's very difficult to make money from writing, editing and publishing, those of us with culture-shaping amounts of money have evidently decided that nearly no one should make any money from writing, editing, and publishing.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2024, 03:20:57 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Me, either. If that happened, I'd probably create a secret repository of physical books like in The Book of Eli, lol.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper

This is the thing I miss the most, and that I think technology has actually made worse.

You could soak in 10-15 games worth of box scores with a simple scan of the page.  High level, you could see everything you wanted in seconds.

But now, the amount of clicking, loading, scrolling, clicking back, loading, etc I have to do now to see all the stats from a day is an unenjoyable chore.

I miss newspaper box scores.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2024, 06:26:58 PM »

• Satch Sanders

100% agreed. Watching local media get gutted over the last 25 years or so has been very hard to watch, and all of that has a knock on effect on the national discourse that's been rarely remarked upon - or not remarked upon enough when it happens to appear as a footnote to, say, the old SBNation being unsustainable.

Unfortunately, most physical media outlets never really figured out how to get people to pay for things after the internet became ubiquitous - and most digital outlets have never really figured out how to get people to pay for things once it because clear that good content on the internet was something that would have to be paid for.

Now, you either have to know very smart people and make the effort to talk to them regularly about topics that interest you (like we do on CB and some people used to on Twitter et al), or you have to know where to go to pay for the good stuff; provided, of course, you can afford to pay for it. We've gone full circle, in some ways.

This couple of paragraphs from Defector - a good sports blog that I recommend subscribing to -  on the news that Pitchfork is joining the 27 club kind of sums up the shell game that ownership of most modern news websites (especially the good ones, with 'brand value') wind up going through.
Beyond gutting Pitchfork's staff, it's not clear what exactly being brought under the auspices of GQ will mean for the publication. But it feels safe to assume that it will become a smaller, dimmer version of what it was before it became the latest victim of the ongoing implosion of music journalism. This is a corner of the media industry that has been hit particularly hard by consolidation and downsizing. When I was laid off from Spin in 2018, I was part of a downsizing of a collection of music brands including Vibe and Billboard.

The idea was that the brands these publications represented still had value, but that the journalism they produced didn't, and therefore the sites would be better off as little more than engines for listicles and veiled ad copy. Stereogum ended up having to go the indie route, and now more or less runs off reader support.

Meanwhile, throughout the industry, features and reporting and music reviews have taken a backseat as companies push for more social media and video content. What has filled the vacuum left behind by actual music criticism is a loose collection of YouTubers and influencers who feed slop to their younger audiences, and fan communities that engage with music solely through their obsession with a particular pop act. This has all helped produce a mass of music fans who don't understand the value of criticism and outright detest being told the things they like might suck.
https://defector.com/music-journalism-cant-afford-a-hollowed-out-pitchfork

I don't particularly mourn Pitchfork (or the modern-day SI, to be honest) - but I do find it very frustrating that, because it's very difficult to make money from writing, editing and publishing, those of us with culture-shaping amounts of money have evidently decided that nearly no one should make any money from writing, editing, and publishing.

Yeah, it's still possible to find most information on free websites and social media, so paying for access to a news site has never made much sense, and print outlets that have added a digital presence haven't benefitted much from that change. Basically, they have to go digital to stay "relevant," yet going digital doesn't really help their bottom line much. It certainly is difficult today to make a lot of money writing, editing, or publishing, unless you're famous.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2024, 06:27:45 PM »

• Satch Sanders
I grew up obsessing over boxscores in my local newspaper

This is the thing I miss the most, and that I think technology has actually made worse.

You could soak in 10-15 games worth of box scores with a simple scan of the page.  High level, you could see everything you wanted in seconds.

But now, the amount of clicking, loading, scrolling, clicking back, loading, etc I have to do now to see all the stats from a day is an unenjoyable chore.

I miss newspaper box scores.

That is quite tedious, indeed.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2024, 06:51:21 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1807
SI was never as important to me as The Sporting News.  All through high school and college, I couldn't wait to read everything about the Red Sox, Celtics, and back in the day, I was a Baltimore Colts fan.  However, I did enjoy the SI bathing suit issue.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2024, 07:26:31 PM »

Offline Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
One of the best SI covers of all-time.

I have that issue! 1987 ECF Finals! Bird steals it!