Author Topic: Unleash our secret weapon: RW3  (Read 4053 times)

Re: Unleash our secret weapon: RW3
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 12:01:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
And what makes anyone here so sure that Williams is not only ready, but a weapon? Is it the whole 15 minutes he has played, mostly in garbage time? The only time he was in a game during meaningful minutes, he was in to just foul a player who shoots 40% from the line so that a rotational player wouldn't get into foul trouble.

Are any of you privy to the practices that give you insight to Williams readiness? How about his medical reports and physical limitations? Do you know if he has the offensive sets and defensive rotations down yet?

The answer is no. Do you knows who knows all that stuff? Brad Stevens. Stevens doesn't need to play a player to prove to fans that he knows more about a player's readiness than they do.

And Stevens has pretty much played young players and rookies that were ready and sat others that weren't and his track record on that has been right on point. He played rookies Tatum, Smart and Brown a bunch of minutes straight outta college. He gave Rozier a bunch of minutes his third year when Rozier was ready. He played Semi a bunch of minutes as a rookie because Semi proved he knew the defensive rotations and he played good defense.

He played Yabusele, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey and James Young almost no minutes early in their careers because they weren't ready. Have any of those players proven Stevens wrong?

Williams will play in meaningful minutes when he is ready. And Stevens will know when that is because he knows everything about the player. We do not.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 12:03:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He dont shoot 3s so Brad wont play him 😁
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 12:29:05 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
And what makes anyone here so sure that Williams is not only ready, but a weapon? Is it the whole 15 minutes he has played, mostly in garbage time? The only time he was in a game during meaningful minutes, he was in to just foul a player who shoots 40% from the line so that a rotational player wouldn't get into foul trouble.

Are any of you privy to the practices that give you insight to Williams readiness? How about his medical reports and physical limitations? Do you know if he has the offensive sets and defensive rotations down yet?

The answer is no. Do you knows who knows all that stuff? Brad Stevens. Stevens doesn't need to play a player to prove to fans that he knows more about a player's readiness than they do.

And Stevens has pretty much played young players and rookies that were ready and sat others that weren't and his track record on that has been right on point. He played rookies Tatum, Smart and Brown a bunch of minutes straight outta college. He gave Rozier a bunch of minutes his third year when Rozier was ready. He played Semi a bunch of minutes as a rookie because Semi proved he knew the defensive rotations and he played good defense.

He played Yabusele, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey and James Young almost no minutes early in their careers because they weren't ready. Have any of those players proven Stevens wrong?

Williams will play in meaningful minutes when he is ready. And Stevens will know when that is because he knows everything about the player. We do not.
very good points nick and a tp to you. but on the last point...we might as well shut CS down if we expect all us posters to know things before we write. how unreasonable!!  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 12:30:37 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

We are getting killed inside while Baynes and Williams sit on the bench.

And Williams is much more talented than Yabusele, RJ Hunter, Jordan Mickey and James Young.

My main concern are his knees. 

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 12:40:26 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Brown didn’t play a lot of minutes his rookie year relative to his draft position.

I think the difference this year is that Brad has a lineup of talented wings who don’t fit well together. I can’t speculate on Williams’ health but if he’s on the roster sitting on the bench I have to assume he will s healthy enough to play.

I am focusing on what we are lacking as a team thus far, and then noting Willuams’ skill set, which seems to meet a lot of our current needs. Do you not at least acknowledge that much?

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i have a quick question. numerous posted has stated the celtics are getting killed by their lack of inside play. this surprised me since it seemed clear that were the celtics to shoot 3 pointers as have historically, the celtics record now would be very likely be 10-2, and even CSers would not complain too much about that.   (hint for those keeping score at home. 3 point shooting is not inside play.)

so, does anyone have anything aside form anecdotal information to show that our beloved celtics are indeed woefully inadequate inside...while at the same time taking into account that CBS likes the 3 point game. in short, just the facts ma'am.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
i have a quick question. numerous posted has stated the celtics are getting killed by their lack of inside play. this surprised me since it seemed clear that were the celtics to shoot 3 pointers as have historically, the celtics record now would be very likely be 10-2, and even CSers would not complain too much about that.   (hint for those keeping score at home. 3 point shooting is not inside play.)

so, does anyone have anything aside form anecdotal information to show that our beloved celtics are indeed woefully inadequate inside...while at the same time taking into account that CBS likes the 3 point game. in short, just the facts ma'am.  ;D

I think that people are talking about the other end of the court. The Defensive end....

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Brown didn’t play a lot of minutes his rookie year relative to his draft position.

I think the difference this year is that Brad has a lineup of talented wings who don’t fit well together. I can’t speculate on Williams’ health but if he’s on the roster sitting on the bench I have to assume he will s healthy enough to play.

I am focusing on what we are lacking as a team thus far, and then noting Willuams’ skill set, which seems to meet a lot of our current needs. Do you not at least acknowledge that much?
Brown played in 78 games at about 18 minutes per game in his rookie year and started when Bradley was hurt. That's a lot of minutes.

Williams is on the bench but we have no idea how good his knees would hold up to extended minutes. Assuming he can play regular minutes is just that, an assumption. We just don't know. Heck wasn't he on a minutes restriction in his only G League game?

What this team needs to do is hit wide open shots at the perimeter. Poor shooting is this team's number one problem. Williams does not address that.

And I acknowledge the kid has extremely raw skills. But I have know idea how smart Williams is and whether he has learned the defensive rotations which would properly utilize those raw skills.

If he isn't playing it's because he isn't ready, especially given that with Theis hurt, Stevens has gone to Ojeleye as his third big, not Williams.

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2018, 03:09:42 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The few minutes Timelord's gotten have shown that he's as physically talented as advertised but still really raw.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few more opportunities going forward but if our gameplan is relying on him consistently contributing then we're in trouble.

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
The few minutes Timelord's gotten have shown that he's as physically talented as advertised but still really raw.  I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few more opportunities going forward but if our gameplan is relying on him consistently contributing then we're in trouble.

There are rookies all over the league playing well. We need interior defense and rebounding. We are losing a lot of games.

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

There are rookies all over the league playing well. We need interior defense and rebounding. We are losing a lot of games.
Other rookies have exactly squat to do with Williams.

We are the 6th best defensive rebounding team in the league measured by rebounding %. We are also a team that does not stress offensive rebounding but instead get back on defense.

We have the third best defense in the league.

What we need is to make open shots not put in rookies that are not yet ready to play in the NBA.

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2018, 03:36:50 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
with Theis out, I hoped that would give us a little bit more RW. 

It doesn't seem to have worked out that way.  Brad seems to be just splitting the minutes around Baynes / Morris and small ball at times. 

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Secret weapon for the Red Claws, maybe.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

We are the 6th best defensive rebounding team in the league measured by rebounding %. We are also a team that does not stress offensive rebounding but instead get back on defense.

What we need is to make open shots not put in rookies that are not yet ready to play in the NBA.

I disagree.

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2018, 07:56:12 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I disagree.
... with what part? Half of the post you replied to is pure statistical fact
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)