Author Topic: Celtics GM challenge. Trade for A Big man.  (Read 3522 times)

Celtics GM challenge. Trade for A Big man.
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:15:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 For the purpose of this discussion. Only 1 asset is untouchable. Tatum. Every player and all picks are on the table.

Let's stay away from Anthony Davis trades too.

Instead of bashing posters propasls, let's discuss what needs to be added to accomplish a trade.

First proposal is Hayward and Yabu plus a draft pick. I was thinking Memphis but again chime in what's is in your opinion fair trade value.

For Mirotic currently avg 20.6 ppg 11.7 rpg expiring contract. and Randle 2 years left. Avg 17 ppg 7 RPG. And salary filler Wes Johnson.

Would the Pelicans need Rozier to make it work?

Does this make the Celtics better. I believe so.

Re: Celtics GM challenge. Trade for A Big man.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I am happy to trade Tatum if gets Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns. Maybe Ayton.

Tatum is not untouchable.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:32:29 PM by Who »

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:17 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
First proposal is Hayward and Yabu plus a draft pick. I was thinking Memphis but again chime in what's is in your opinion fair trade value.

For Mirotic currently avg 20.6 ppg 11.7 rpg expiring contract. and Randle 2 years left. Avg 17 ppg 7 RPG. And salary filler Wes Johnson.

Would the Pelicans need Rozier to make it work?

Does this make the Celtics better. I believe so.

I am only trading one of Jaylen, Tatum, Kyrie, Hayward, Horford if ... we are getting back a player with genuine star talent.

I am not trading any one of those guys for role players. Supporting pieces.

In the trade above = Mirotic and Randle = those guys are role players. I am not giving up someone as talented as Gordon Hayward for those two guys.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 12:32:36 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Yeah enough of this Jason Tatum being untouchable. That ship has sailed.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Teams will pay pennies on the dollar for Hayward at this point in his rehabilitation. Plus if he does come back to 100% in 3 or 4 months, we gave away a very nice asset. An asset that can in the future pass the ball, rebound, and score. Something so far neither Brown or Tatum has shown just yet. 

This is the problem...our young players don't earn enough money to create matching salaries. Hayward is rehabilitating, Horford is 32 on a max deal, do you want to move Kyrie? Maybe replace him with Rozier? Terry isn't a PG, how many assists did he have last evening 2-3? While Irving isn't a pure PG, at times he can be.

Other than packaging Rozier with Semi, Yabu, a draft pick or whoever, we're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. What the above package will get us, I'm not too sure.

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 12:39:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I don't think the Celtics need anything major up front. I would be just looking for a role player rather than a star. So that means not including any of the C's stars. I would instead be looking to deal a Rozier or Smart. Maybe Morris. Or some package of the youth (Yabu, Robert Williams). And/or picks.

But I am not sure any move is necessary. I am happy with Baynes and Theis as role players. I am keeping Robert Williams for 2-3 years to see if he can develop into that role player big man long term. I think the pieces are already here. I do not see a move as necessary.

I think it is more about coaching. Stevens moving one of the SFs (Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen) to the bench and starting one of the bigs (Baynes) in a 20mpg starter role. Just to give the team better lineup balance to open games.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I forgot which one of you came up with this lineup of:

Smart
Kyrie
Hayward
Horford
Baynes or Morris

Decent size, experience, a little-added toughness, nice passing, a few scorers who can get their shots. What do we have to lose?

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Smart
Kyrie
Hayward
Horford
Baynes or Morris

Decent size, experience, a little-added toughness, nice passing, a few scorers who can get their shots. What do we have to lose?

I prefer Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, and Baynes to start.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 12:58:45 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I am happy to trade Tatum if gets Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns. Maybe Ayton.

While I agree with Tatum not being untouchable I wouldn't trade him for Ayton. There are a lot of Phoenix fans who are quite unhappy with his almost non-existent defense. I've seen them making comparisons to Okafor. Although that might be an exaggeration, I take fans' opinions on their own team very seriously.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

Smart
Kyrie
Hayward
Horford
Baynes or Morris

I prefer Irving, Brown, Tatum, Horford, and Baynes to start.

Me too. Give Hayward the responsibility and touches to lead the second unit and let Rozier play off-ball.

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

While I agree with Tatum not being untouchable I wouldn't trade him for Ayton. There are a lot of Phoenix fans who are quite unhappy with his almost non-existent defense. I've seen them making comparisons to Okafor. Although that might be an exaggeration, I take fans' opinions on their own team very seriously.

Yes. That is accurate. Not an exaggeration.

But Ayton is not like J.Okafor. Okafor was physically incapable of playing NBA caliber defense. Ayton is not. Ayton has the physical capacity to be a plus defender. No amount of training or effort was going to turn Okafor into a good defender. He was simply too slow laterally and vertically. Training and effort will turn Ayton into a good defender. He has the tools. Just not the know-how or dedication (currently) to do it. 

So I am willing to take a chance on that with Ayton. Whereas I would not have with J.Okafor.

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 01:06:45 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I don't think the Celtics need anything major up front. I would be just looking for a role player rather than a star. So that means not including any of the C's stars. I would instead be looking to deal a Rozier or Smart. Maybe Morris. Or some package of the youth (Yabu, Robert Williams). And/or picks.

But I am not sure any move is necessary. I am happy with Baynes and Theis as role players. I am keeping Robert Williams for 2-3 years to see if he can develop into that role player big man long term. I think the pieces are already here. I do not see a move as necessary.

I think it is more about coaching. Stevens moving one of the SFs (Tatum, Hayward, Jaylen) to the bench and starting one of the bigs (Baynes) in a 20mpg starter role. Just to give the team better lineup balance to open games.
Maybe it's time to find out whether Yabu is ever going to help them before they start making deals. Theis's loss does hurt in the short term.

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 01:20:58 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Not sure how the salaries would match but Dedmon (7M expiring) Markieff Morris (8.6M expiring) and Montrezl Harrell (2yr/12M) are intriguing.

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
No one gotta touch Hayward with that big contract and he has a long way to go to be what he once was
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 02:31:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Rozier for Poeltl is the trade I keep coming back to.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip