Author Topic: Doncic matches a Bird/Jordan/Abdul-Jabbar record. ROY?  (Read 3563 times)

Doncic matches a Bird/Jordan/Abdul-Jabbar record. ROY?
« on: November 25, 2018, 03:08:57 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He's leading rookies in scoring (19.3 points per game), ranks second in assists (4.1) and third in rebounds (6.9). The list of rookies who have averaged 19/6/4: Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Elgin Baylor, Sidney Wicks, Larry Bird and Grant Hill. Each of those players won Rookie of the Year -- and none of them were as young as Doncic, who has a swagger and fearlessness that just isn't seen in NBA teens. The only possible argument against Doncic is that he shouldn't qualify as a rookie due to his extensive experience playing high-level pro ball with Real Madrid.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:17:13 AM by CelticsElite »

Re: Doncic matches a Bird/Jordan/Abdul-Jabbar record. ROY?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 04:59:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I thought when we put Morris on him he vanished because Morris did not fall for the fakes.

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 11:02:51 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've only watched him once this year - last night.  He looked pretty [dang] good to me.  I wish he was on our team.

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706
I'd trade Tatum for him if we could.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I thought when we put Morris on him he vanished because Morris did not fall for the fakes.

Yup... tries to fake you out non stop

Good passer and shooter though

Knows how to manage the game...unlike Irving

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Reminds me of Bird in this important respect: has immediately stepped in to be the leader of his team as a rookie. Very rare to see that, especially at such a young age. We lack that type of personality on this team. Smart closest but lacks skill level to make it productive.

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 12:41:08 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He’s keeping up with Sidney Wicks through 20 games.  Definitely the rookie of the year no brainer ;)

Seriously, it’s way too early to declare any player the rookie of the year.  Doncic is definitely a stud though.  I really like him. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 07:28:42 AM by moiso »

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 02:09:24 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Hawks screwed up BADLY by trading Doncic to the Mavs.  Now they are looking at a lost season record-wise and they miss out on one of the top rookies in this year's draft class.  That's a double gut punch!

It's almost like trading Tatum for Markelle Fultz...  ;D ;D

Hmm Doncic vs Trae Young... I'd rather have Doncic!

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 02:30:55 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
He's leading rookies in scoring (19.3 points per game), ranks second in assists (4.1) and third in rebounds (6.9). The list of rookies who have averaged 19/6/4: Oscar Robertson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Elgin Baylor, Sidney Wicks, Larry Bird and Grant Hill. Each of those players won Rookie of the Year -- and none of them were as young as Doncic, who has a swagger and fearlessness that just isn't seen in NBA teens. The only possible argument against Doncic is that he shouldn't qualify as a rookie due to his extensive experience playing high-level pro ball with Real Madrid.

I've always thought that Doncic would be a perennial All-Star, but my only query with him is how high his ceiling really is? The main difference between Doncic and all those other players you have listed is that he has been playing as a professional for the past 3 years. He isn't a great athlete and other than lose weight he seems to have physically matured and his wingspan looks on the small side too, even Bird was a better athlete, taller, had a better wingspan and was a better natural shooter.

After a season of going up against Luka, players and coaches will make adjustments and things will get harder for him but his talent is undeniable and IMO he is in the best situation for his development so who knows.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 03:02:06 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I don't know if I'd trade him for Tatum only
20 games into his nba carrier. Today JT looks very mortal but last spring looked like a future top 5 players. Which one is the real JT?

I've always thought that Doncic would be a perennial All-Star, but my only query with him is how high his ceiling really is? The main difference between Doncic and all those other players you have listed is that he has been playing as a professional for the past 3 years. He isn't a great athlete and other than lose weight he seems to have physically matured and his wingspan looks on the small side too, even Bird was a better athlete, taller, had a better wingspan and was a better natural shooter.

After a season of going up against Luka, players and coaches will make adjustments and things will get harder for him but his talent is undeniable and IMO he is in the best situation for his development so who knows.

Doncic hasn't just played 3 years pro ball. Bender played 3 years as a pro too....

But Doncic was key cog for one of  best 3 non nba teams and last season he was the best non nba player in world by far.

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 03:06:29 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Isn’t it a little early to say he matched seasons of all-time greats just 20 games in?
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 04:11:23 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I don't know if I'd trade him for Tatum only
20 games into his nba carrier. Today JT looks very mortal but last spring looked like a future top 5 players. Which one is the real JT?

Doncic hasn't just played 3 years pro ball. Bender played 3 years as a pro too....

But Doncic was key cog for one of  best 3 non nba teams and last season he was the best non nba player in world by far.

Sorry but you just reaffirmed my point, Bender has not improved since he got to the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 05:39:33 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
How do you like Dončić's nickname - Don Luka?
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 07:29:29 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
How do you like Dončić's nickname - Don Luka?
Awesome!

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2018, 01:03:02 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
If you watch highlights of bird you can see how he used ball fakes perhaps better than any other player in history and could see plays developing 2-3 steps in advance. Doncic clearly excels in those same skills. He also has some of that same moxy and flair for the game that bird possessed. While he doesnt quite have the physical profile of bird and plays a different style of game, they definitely share more than a few common characteristics.