Author Topic: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband  (Read 20693 times)

Re: Westbrook threatens female fan and her husband
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 04:22:35 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
To your first question: https://twitter.com/JonMHamm/status/1105487166333964289

To your second question: no, that's actually what happened. He locked his account and began deleting questionable tweets.

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
That tweet in particular is supposedly faked, but there are plenty of nasty and downright bad tweets from the guy's account that were confirmed by cross-matching Google caches of his feed - including the one where he called Westbrook a POS and said he needed his ass kicked. Sorry, but I'm not going to believe that same guy went from feeling like that during the playoffs last year to seeking a "pleasant, jocular convo" with Westbrook. The fact that Jazz players (Sefolosha earlier today and Mitchell a short while ago) are starting to speak out against the incident leads me to believe they got some more information about it that makes them believe Westbrook's side of the story.

I’m skeptical either one is telling the full truth.

I do have a hard time with a star player threatening to beat up a woman, though, even if her date is a jerk.
Yeah, I think both are stretching the truth to fit their narrative but what I have a problem with is Westbrook's response of violence toward the man and his wife. I think the response warrants a short suspension, like one game, and a fine.

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
nice to see you fell victim to fake news and fake hate crimes lol
I'm just saying, it wouldn't be surprising.

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 04:29:05 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Yeah, I’m failing to see the “racist” element here, as it seems clear to me more of a homophobic remark, which is clearly not any better. No idea how you get a racist undertone from those statements (even if the guy himself is a racist).

In fact, the only racial language that I heard was coming out of Westbrook’s mouth, though that hasn’t been discussed at all.

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 04:31:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Can someone post a link that proves that #MAGA was faked. I went looking on Google and found nothing.

Is it also fake news that he had a bunch of other bad posts he made about Westbrook but has been on a deleting binge since the incident? I am seeing everywhere that he deleting a ton of stuff off his Twitter account.

I have also seen nothing indicating the Tweet is faked - there's no correction or even a note that the content is disputed on the USA Today article. I'm sure there are loads of galaxy brains online assuring one another that it's all made up but that's more of a constant than a variable. I held back on posting it specifically on the chance it wasn't legit, so if anyone's got a source I'd like to see it. The account's gone from locked to deleted since last night, and I can still find people replying to now absent tweets from it last night before it locked taunting about them going viral.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:45:39 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 04:39:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

To your second question: no, that's actually what happened. He locked his account and began deleting questionable tweets.
Yeah, sorry, I need more confirmation than some little known Bleacher Report guy says he checked. Also, he had an update that said a credible tweeter said the tweet is real and he now appears to believe it a real tweet.

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 04:52:07 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Yeah, nevermind. Looks like the tweet was real - lending more credence to the idea that it was a racist remark. Also, the Jazz just announced that the guy is banned for life.

« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 04:55:58 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Yeah, sorry, I need more confirmation than some little known Bleacher Report guy says he checked. Also, he had an update that said a credible tweeter said the tweet is real and he now appears to believe it a real tweet.

Saw that - here's a link he was referring to of another poster who claims to have confirmed it through twitter metadata. Man when like AOL started you ever dream you'd be combing through short posts summarizing the investigation of metadata to assess the source of another short post - that no longer exists - saying garden-variety racist crap to an NBA player? What a time.

https://twitter.com/atmosify/status/1105569737843634178

Anyway I lack the tech knowledge to verify this myself, but if the USAToday section corrects or retracts I will too.

Also in physical reality news, the Jazz announced the fan is no longer physically welcome in their arena, for life:

https://twitter.com/utahjazz/status/1105570407598321664

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
25k fan for Westbrook. In other words, exactly what I felt was appropriate: fine for the player, ban for the jackass fan.

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
25k fan for Westbrook. In other words, exactly what I felt was appropriate: fine for the player, ban for the jackass fan.

Agreed.

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2019, 05:27:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I don't think it's appropriate.  Kobe got $100k for a gay slur.  I thought that was appropriate to send a message that anti-gay slurs weren't appropriate.

What message is sent when a star threatens to beat up a female fan and gets a slap on the wrist?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 05:30:46 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.
what the fan said didn't sound racial at all

Just another race card incident.

So that I'm clear on this, you're responding to the suggestion that the fan said "Get on his knees like he used to". He's saying this to a black man in a country that used to have millions of black slaves literally on their knees. So I read that as a clear statement that he should go back to being a slave.

Am I missing something?

I took it as a homophobic comment myself, not racist.

I see how it could be interpreted like that, but I don't believe Westbrook was ever homosexual, or even rumoured to be? Therefore the "like he used to" part doesn't fit. So it's clearly about race.

Glad to see the fan has been banned for life, its the only proportionate response to the situation.

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 05:39:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I think it'd depend on what the fan said as well. Utah fans have started to build a rep with some of their language - particularly of the racist variety.

I get that players need to maintain decorum but fans shouldn't get to abandon common decency just because they buy a ticket.
According to Westbrook and Patterson, they told Westbrook to, "Get on his knees like he used to." This can be construed a number of ways. More than few of those ways being bigoted.
he could have simply reported it to the security and moved on. Now we have westbrook on video threatening to kill people. Good job! Way to make the city of Oklahoma city proud!
I think Westbrook should be fined. Not a good reaction, regardless of the nature of the heckling.

I also think that if he's telling the truth, and I'm going to assume he is, then those fans should have been thrown out and are a bigger embarrassment than him.
what the fan said didn't sound racial at all

Just another race card incident.

So that I'm clear on this, you're responding to the suggestion that the fan said "Get on his knees like he used to". He's saying this to a black man in a country that used to have millions of black slaves literally on their knees. So I read that as a clear statement that he should go back to being a slave.

Am I missing something?

I took it as a homophobic comment myself, not racist.

I see how it could be interpreted like that, but I don't believe Westbrook was ever homosexual, or even rumoured to be? Therefore the "like he used to" part doesn't fit. So it's clearly about race.

Glad to see the fan has been banned for life, its the only proportionate response to the situation.

The knees stuff has been hurled at referees for ages with a homophobic under tone.

It doesn't matter if he was ever gay or not, or rumored or not.  That stuff doesn't matter with some fans and they'll just yell out homophobic stuff at a whim.

To the larger point; whether is was homophobic or racist, its nice to see the Jazz ban the guy. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

I don't think it's appropriate.  Kobe got $100k for a gay slur.  I thought that was appropriate to send a message that anti-gay slurs weren't appropriate.

What message is sent when a star threatens to beat up a female fan and gets a slap on the wrist?

The message it sends is “don’t come to a game to be racist jackasses to athletes with your wife and then feign ignorance and play the victim when said athlete responds.”

If you’re asking which side I’m more interested in dissuading, the racist hecklers or the athlete threatening them in response, I’m picking the former every day and twice on Sunday. As I would in [dang] near every incident involving a provocateur and the provoked.

« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2019, 05:42:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Pretty surprised by this, I thought he should've and would've caught a game or two. The NBA's got to have info on the incident and I assume they know the fan really did cross some lines but Westbrook crossed one back by threatening violence and then crossed a bigger one by including the wife.