Author Topic: Collins to Utah for Rudy Gay  (Read 5193 times)

Re: Collins to Utah for Rudy Gay
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2023, 03:53:30 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Lol. We've been hearing about a John Collins trade for years and this is the big return?
Danny Fleeces again. KO is probably on the block now.

KO and Clarkson for Brogdon and Pritchard. Who says no?

Clarkson when he declines his player option.

Opt-in to play for a contender like Zinger just did.

He’s opting in for dollars only, and he seems like a player who overvalues his earning potential.

He has so far. But he's not at that point in his career now. And frankly, tell me who is going to pay him?

That’s between Clarkson and his agent.  My guess is he’s opting out because he thinks he’s worth more.  I don’t.  At all.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Just gave him away for nothing..Atlanta will waive Gay
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2023, 04:14:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
G: C Sexton, K Dunn
G: J Clarkson, K George
F: Markannen, Sensebaugh
F: J Collins, Taylor Hendricks
C: Kessler, Olynyk

That is a big versatile frontcourt.
This could go the other way, easily. Couple of rookies on the depth chart and Kris Dunn as backup PG. I bet Ainge will continue to deal, it's not an Ainge "you need elite players" roster.

Yeah, I don't like that backcourt at all. Clarkson is the only guy there I feel somewhat comfortable with and he is a score-first guard lacking in non-scoring skills. Not a good setup to maximize your talented frontcourt.

I do love what they are doing in the frontcourt though. That is a fun mix of talent.

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2023, 04:33:52 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Utah also has THT if he opts in to his 11 million contract and Agbaji their rookie from last year who was starting on the wing, as well as Keyonte George.

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2023, 04:35:44 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Lol. We've been hearing about a John Collins trade for years and this is the big return?
Danny Fleeces again. KO is probably on the block now.

KO and Clarkson for Brogdon and Pritchard. Who says no?

I'd love that trade if that was available.

I don't think Ainge will trade Olynyk. There are still enough minutes there for him. They have a 5 man frontcourt. There is enough there for all their bigs. Just not their SFs who do not look all that good anyway so ... that is fine.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2023, 04:56:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
I guess i'm not really all that surprised that he basically got dumped. The hawks have been trying to trade him for a long time and it just became apparent he didn't have any trade value. Hawks are starting to get expensive and decided it was better to just clear his 78 million over the next 3 years off the books and generate some financial flexibility.

Now its interesting what they do with it. Could they be a KAT destination? Add Capela + 1 of Hunter/Murray/Bogie and they can get to his salary pretty easily and still have enough space left over to use the full non-tax MLE.

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2023, 05:11:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
It is really hard to even put this into perspective.  He is signed for $25M-$26M for 3 more seasons.  It was not that long ago where he put up back to back seasons with about 20/10 and has two seasons over 39%  from 3.  What the heck happened?

I can't help but compare Collins to Grant.  If Collins is a throw away contract at $25M, where does that put Grant? Is Collins even better than Grant at this point?   If Collins is not worth $25M, what is his market value, how many wins is he worth?  He played decent in the playoffs against us.  He wasn't great but played like he belonged on the court.  It's not like he was horrible, just kind of unimpactful.
Seriously?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2023, 05:15:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Atlanta’s getting. Brogdon-sized TPE, and Brogdon is from Atlanta.  Bogdanovic for Brogdon?  (That trade doesn’t even require the TPE, but does require waiting until September).
I would jump on that trade. I love Bogdanovic.

He is a significant riser when Trae Young doesn't play. Since 2021 (small sample size of only 17 games, I know), Bogdanovic averages 19/4/4 on 44/43/79 shooting. I'm a big fan.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2023, 05:16:25 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
It is really hard to even put this into perspective.  He is signed for $25M-$26M for 3 more seasons.  It was not that long ago where he put up back to back seasons with about 20/10 and has two seasons over 39%  from 3.  What the heck happened?

I can't help but compare Collins to Grant.  If Collins is a throw away contract at $25M, where does that put Grant? Is Collins even better than Grant at this point?   If Collins is not worth $25M, what is his market value, how many wins is he worth?  He played decent in the playoffs against us.  He wasn't great but played like he belonged on the court.  It's not like he was horrible, just kind of unimpactful.
Seriously?

I'm not sure that's a crazy question.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2023, 05:20:29 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Seriously?

I am. Here are their stats for the last two seasons:

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2023, 05:24:56 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Seriously?

It's not really about that. The reason why Collins had no suitors is because he doesn't bring any high-level skills, other than being a dunker/finisher. He's not a good defender. He's not a good distributor/screener. He's not a good shooter.

Grant brings high-level defense with solid versatility, as well as high-level shooting. He's arguably a more valuable player even if you ignore their contracts.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2023, 05:28:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Are you all on Grant's payroll?

Most overrated player in team history.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2023, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Most overrated plated in team history.

There's no question he's a much better shooter than Collins.

If you had to have either Collins or Grant make one defensive stand again Giannis, or Embiid, or Butler, or Van Fleet to win the game, who would you choose? Because Grant has been there and done that. It's the reason why smart teams are after him as an RFA, and avoiding Collins even though he was readily available.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2023, 05:33:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Seriously?

It's not really about that. The reason why Collins had no suitors is because he doesn't bring any high-level skills, other than being a dunker/finisher. He's not a good defender. He's not a good distributor/screener. He's not a good shooter.

Grant brings high-level defense with solid versatility, as well as high-level shooting. He's arguably a more valuable player even if you ignore their contracts.
I disagree, obviously. Collins is a good scorer and decent rebounder. I view the season gone by as an aberration - he is a career 37.6% shooter from deep and 61.0% shooter from inside the arc if you ignore it. If his touch is completely ruined by his hand, then that might be an issue, but he is still a better scorer and rebounder than Grant.

I also find Grant's defence immensely overrated. I thought he was the worst defensive forward of any of our top rotation guys. His basic stats are poor, his advanced stats are mediocre, he is undersized, he gets beaten off the dribble with frequency, gives up more offensive rebounds than I can count, and is easily attackable in mismatch hunting.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2023, 05:34:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Most overrated plated in team history.

There's no question he's a much better shooter than Collins.

If you had to have either Collins or Grant make one defensive stand again Giannis, or Embiid, or Butler, or Van Fleet to win the game, who would you choose? Because Grant has been there and done that. It's the reason why smart teams are after him as an RFA, and avoiding Collins even though he was readily available.
I would let them go get an open layup, because it's a foregone conclusion either way