Author Topic: NBA Summer League 2023  (Read 17498 times)

Re: NBA Summer League 2023
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2023, 10:17:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
At this point who’s better? Wemby or Holmgren?

Wemby.

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2023, 10:27:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Wemby.

TBD. I’m not sold on either guy at this point. Chet seems smoother on offense, Wemby can hold is how better defensively against other bigs.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 10:39:15 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2023, 10:32:02 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Wemby just got posterized
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2023, 10:38:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Wemby just got posterized
Kai Jones looked great on that lob.6'11 over a 7'5 was k. Bigs going big.

« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2023, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Wemby.

TBD. I’m not sold on either guy at this point. Chet seems smoother on offense, Wemby can hold is how better defensively against other bigs.

Mmm ... more impressed by Chet thus far.

Wemby looking more Ralph Sampson than Kareem Abdul Jabbar thus far. The game happens around him. Not through him. It doesn't revolve around him. He is just there. Talented but not central to the action.

« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2023, 10:47:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Interesting comment on getting Wemby the ball on the move. Oscar Robertson said the same thing about playing with young Kareem. That he tried to get him the ball on the move because that is where he was best. Kareem didn't play the PnR game well. So Oscar had to change how he played to adapt to Kareem and finding him more off of movement and cutting was where he thought Kareem was best.

« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2023, 11:03:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Wemby.

Mmm ... more impressed by Chet thus far.

Wemby looking more Ralph Sampson than Kareem Abdul Jabbar thus far. The game happens around him. Not through him. It doesn't revolve around him. He is just there. Talented but not central to the action.

Chet is definitely more coordinated with his movement. Feel like Webanyama is a bit clunky at times.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2023, 11:04:56 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Wemby looking like the bust of the century in this one meaningless summer league game.

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2023, 11:09:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
His defense is terrible. Positioning & footwork both on and off the ball is all over the place. No fundamentals.

Game is moving too fast for him as well.

« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2023, 11:11:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Nice drive on B Miller late on. B Miller had to get so close to him to deny the shot that Wemby with those long legs of his was easily able to get by him with a quick first step. Hard for B Miller to get back in the play due to Wemby's size. That is going to work well for him in the pros.

« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2023, 11:19:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I think he has the same issue Timelord did when he first came into the league. He's looking too much for the big blocks. Obviously doesn't understand the Spurs' defensive schemes yet so he struggled in rotation and switches. He can protect against drives, but I think he will get hammered on post ups until he puts on more weight...at 209 pounds he's like a leaf. I can just imagine Embiid breaking him in half. Though I doubt he would ever switch onto him until he gets stronger.

The offense is a work in progress, he's obviously got some sweet touches and has good vision as a passer, he should find his range soon. Seemed to be forcing things tonight, I'm sure Pop will figure out ways to maximize his impact on that end. But still pretty raw. I really think he needs a year to bulk up. Comparing him to Banchero, Paolo had a much more NBA-ready body and was able to make a big impact right away. But Wemby's only 19 so it's all in front of him.

« Reply #86 on: July 07, 2023, 11:19:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Wow, Jabari Smith Jr with 33pts 7reb on 8-18 FG and 14-17 FT. That is nice to see after a rough rookie year.

Amen Thompson filled up the stat sheet. 16pts on 6-13 FG 3-4 FT 5ast 4reb 4blk 3stl only 2 turnovers.

« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2023, 12:19:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Wemby tired and needs to adjust to game speed. Thought he showed good court vision and passing.

« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2023, 12:39:23 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
I think he has the same issue Timelord did when he first came into the league. He's looking too much for the big blocks. Obviously doesn't understand the Spurs' defensive schemes yet so he struggled in rotation and switches. He can protect against drives, but I think he will get hammered on post ups until he puts on more weight...at 209 pounds he's like a leaf. I can just imagine Embiid breaking him in half. Though I doubt he would ever switch onto him until he gets stronger.

The offense is a work in progress, he's obviously got some sweet touches and has good vision as a passer, he should find his range soon. Seemed to be forcing things tonight, I'm sure Pop will figure out ways to maximize his impact on that end. But still pretty raw. I really think he needs a year to bulk up. Comparing him to Banchero, Paolo had a much more NBA-ready body and was able to make a big impact right away. But Wemby's only 19 so it's all in front of him.

He’s never going to look like Banchero. Body types are too different. Wemby looks like a taller version of Evan Mobley. Just not as fluid.

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2023, 12:53:06 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I just had a look at Wemby's French league stats...he's terrible from 3. Someone who shoots .275 should not be taking 5 threes a game. Pop will disabuse him of that really quickly

In comparison Holmgren shot 41 of 105 in 32 games for .390 on 3.2 3PA per game.