Poll

Which C's will make Team USA’s 2019 FIBA World Cup roster? (pick up to 4)

Jaylen Brown
57 (20.7%)
Marcus Smart
52 (18.9%)
Jayson Tatum
81 (29.5%)
Kemba Walker
85 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: FIBA World Cup [USA vs. TUR: 9/3, 8:30 AM EST (ESPN+)]  (Read 108111 times)

Re: 2019 FIBA World Cup
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2019, 04:42:56 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Giannis has said multiple times that Alex the youngest one is the most talented. We ll see...... Talent is not enough to make it

I'm going with Greece. Giannis is going to be on a mission

To win it all ??? I wish but can't see that happening.

« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
America should ROFLstomp their competition if they keep all 4 Celtics on the roster.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Is it just me or do Americans not care a hoot about FIBA World Cup? If USA basketball cared about any competition outside the NBA, other than the Olympics, they would send their best to win it and they would win every tournament.

But USA basketball doesn't care about much other than the Olympics when it comes to national tournaments and I think the fandom has very similar feelings. I just don't think the average American NBA fan gives a dang about the very contrively named FIBA World Cup. It's a knockoff version of the FIFA World Cup and I just don't think the prestige crosses over. In basketball, true prestige comes from being an NBA or Olympic champion, at least in the eyes of most American fans. The World Cup? Not so much.

I don’t think it’s this cut and dry.  I think there are several factors in play here.  One for the first time the World Cup and Olympics are playing in back to back years, where usually the USA players has a summer off in-between.  Second the World Cup is ending later, and the NBA season is starting earlier so not much time to transition to training camp.   Third the NBA is sending 6 teams to Asia in October and some players may not want to travel twice overseas in a short amount of time.  Lastly you have some USA vets like Lebron just getting older and may just want to save what he has left for his NBA team, some players like Davis transitioning to a new team (not a great excuse though look at Walker), and some are injured like Durant.

Saying all that though it’s surprising not to see a few more big names.

« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
The 2019 Australian Boomers team for the FIBA World Cup:

Aron Baynes - Phoenix Suns
Andrew Bogut - Sydney Kings
Jonah Bolden - Philadelphia 76ers
Xavier Cooks - SIG Strasbourg
Matthew Dellavedova - Cleveland Cavaliers
Cam Gliddon - Brisbane Bullets
Chris Goulding - Melbourne United
Joe Ingles - Utah Jazz
Nick Kay - Perth Wildcats
Jock Landale - Žalgiris Kaunas
Patty Mills - San Antonio Spurs
Nathan Sobey - Brisbane Bullets

Somehow NBA experienced players Mitch Creek and Deng Adel missed the cut while a few mediocre Australian NBL based players got in  ??? >:(

We have a crap coach and a pretty average team with no Simmons, Maker, Exum and Broekhoff.

With RJ Barrett and Jamal Murray not playing for Canada we may have a slightly better chance of getting out of the group stage but wouldn't be at all surprised if they didn't.

Some national teams give preference to players from domestic leagues regardless of levels of play. It happens quite a bit in soccer, especially on the women's side.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Marcus Smart has a left calf injury and is out for the rest of Team USA training camp in Vegas. He will be re-evaluated next week in LA.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/1159197063969562625

No official announcement yet, of course, but go ahead and put Sacramento's De'Aaron Fox's name on the Team USA roster for China. Consistently standing out and making the right decision every time the media is in allowed in the gym here in Vegas ...

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1159201038701699072?s=21
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:40:51 PM by rondofan1255 »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Marcus Smart has a left calf injury and is out for the rest of Team USA training camp in Vegas. He will be re-evaluated next week in LA.

https://twitter.com/WindhorstESPN/status/1159197063969562625

Boo!

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2019, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
According to Marc Stein, ''Boston's Marcus Smart is out indefinitely for Team USA with calf tightness. Will be re-evaluated next week ...''

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1159196347674664961

And here's a video of Tatum, Brown, Fox and Adebayo playing 1-on-1 at team USA practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6A7LyTSBQ

Btw, Tatum's new knee tattoo looks awful (at least imo).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:05:07 PM by Jvalin »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Marcus Smart on the trainer’s table with his left ankle wrapped in ice as Team USA practice opens to reporters. He’s not participating as players shoot at end of session.

Marcus Smart said his ankle felt sore today. He took himself out as a precaution. Smart is hopeful to be back on court tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1158846820497293312
Ugh..be careful with him.  look what happen to Durant
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Re: Poll: Which C's will make Team USA? [Scrimmage: 8/9, 10 PM EST (NBATV)]
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 06:55:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Team USA basketball schedule

Team USA's roster situation for the FIBA World Cup in China in September is still not settled, with final cuts set for August 17. What has been determined, however, is their exhibition schedule leading up to the tournament.

Early on Monday afternoon, USA Basketball announced the five exhibition games that Team USA will play over the next three weeks in order to prepare for their World Cup title defense. Champions in both 2010 and 2014, Team USA will be attempting to become the first team to ever three-peat at the World Cup.

The first game will be an intra-squad scrimmage in Las Vegas on August 9, which will be broadcasted on NBA TV and streamed live on fubo TV (try it free) like the rest of their exhibition games leading up to the FIBA World Cup. Ahead of all the action, here's everything you need to know about Team USA's upcoming schedule.

Team USA exhibition schedule

All times Eastern

Aug. 9: Blue-White intra-squad scrimmage, 10 p.m.
Aug. 16: Team USA vs. Spain, 10 p.m.
Aug. 22: Team USA vs. Australia, 5:30 a.m.
Aug. 24: Team USA vs. Australia, 12 a.m.
Aug. 26: Team USA vs. Canada, 5:30 a.m.

Team USA World Cup schedule

Team USA is in Group E for pool play, along with the Czech Republic, Japan and Turkey. They will play each team one time, with the top-two teams in the group advancing to the second round. Times and broadcast info have yet to be announced.

Sept. 1: Team USA vs. Czech Republic
Sept. 3: Team USA vs. Turkey
Sept. 5: Team USA vs. Japan

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-schedule-live-stream-fiba-world-cup-games-watch-online-dates-start-time-tv-channel/

« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2019, 05:35:16 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
brown still looks handle-less...

he could be a great 3rd string player, a transition threat, spot up shooter, cutter and line drive to the basket type of a guy, but at this point, i don't see him as a great offensive player.

He should more than make up for his offensive deficiencies with his defensive prownes
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2019, 05:47:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

he could be a great 3rd string player, a transition threat, spot up shooter, cutter and line drive to the basket type of a guy, but at this point, i don't see him as a great offensive player.

He should more than make up for his offensive deficiencies with his defensive prownes
Any clips?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Any clips?
https://youtu.be/FuzKIFYR4PY
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2019, 07:26:18 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

Care to elaborate on 3rd string? If you mean 3rd option tier on offense I would be inclined to agree with you. If you mean 3rd string as in backing up the backups, I heavily disagree  ;)
#JKJB

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

He looks like a small forward, which is fine for the Cs.

Pop ran a lineup for a while with Walker-Brown-Tatum-Middleton-Turner(or Plumlee). Thought that was interesting.

« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2019, 09:30:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just hope no one gets hurt..remember Paul George
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin