Author Topic: 2018 NBA Draft Thread  (Read 87926 times)

Re: 2018 NBA Draft Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 06:18:16 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Grayson Allen is the 2nd coming of Danny Ainge the player. That’s a nice addition to a team looking to contend for a championship

No he's not.

Can we stop discrediting how great of a player Ainge was in college? His teammates weren't anything great, and defenses honed in on him with him being the 2nd/1st option most nights, and he still shot 52%. He averaged 20.9 PPG, 4.6 APG, 4.6 RPG, 1.7 SPG. He was one of the best athletes, ranking in football, baseball, and basketball.

Only person to be All-America in 3 sports

Won the John R Wooden award for best basketball player in college

Won the Eastman award for best basketball player in college

Youngest person in Blue Jays history to hit a home run

Grayson Allen would be happy to sniff half of his accomplishments.

That being said, Grayson Allen does have some fire to him, so we'll see.

I'm just not overly optimistic he's anything more than a potential sixth man (?), or off the bench scoring guy.

I don't think we should be expecting any more from #27. The young, talented guys are usually gone, so accomplished upperclassmen with limited ceilings are common at the end of the 1st round.

I agree, this player most likely will not be starting for the Celtics. This will be a win if Danny can pick a guy that eventually fits within a 7-8 man playoff rotation.

I just don't get where he would fit on our team..

Where is he getting minutes?

If we keep the team as is, there is literally no room. Rozier/Smart should see PG/SG minutes, along with the occasional Hayward. Allen cannot guard 3's, let alone 4's. I'm not gonna lie, I have warmed up to him. But to me, he's considered an early second round pick at best.

I would rather use that pick on Spellman, or Mo Wagner.

Grayson Allen is the 2nd coming of Danny Ainge the player. That’s a nice addition to a team looking to contend for a championship

No he's not.

Can we stop discrediting how great of a player Ainge was in college? His teammates weren't anything great, and defenses honed in on him with him being the 2nd/1st option most nights, and he still shot 52%. He averaged 20.9 PPG, 4.6 APG, 4.6 RPG, 1.7 SPG. He was one of the best athletes, ranking in football, baseball, and basketball.

I'm just not overly optimistic he's anything more than a potential sixth man (?), or off the bench scoring guy.

I don't think we should be expecting any more from #27. The young, talented guys are usually gone, so accomplished upperclassmen with limited ceilings are common at the end of the 1st round.

I agree, this player most likely will not be starting for the Celtics. This will be a win if Danny can pick a guy that eventually fits within a 7-8 man playoff rotation.

If Semi, who couldn't make any shots this year, got rotation minutes...then I think someone at 27 can break through.

My god, you have this inherent dislike for Semi, and it's puzzling to me, did he like hurt your family or something? He's a freaking 2nd rounder, who performed admirably well on defense against Giannis, LeBron, and Simmons.

No. Semi seems like a great person. Just giving you an example when you say the 27th pick won't get many meaningful minutes. Semi, who like you said, was a second round pick that played a ton. If he can break through why can't this pick?

I didn't say the 27th pick wouldn't get meaningful minutes... I said Allen who is a PG/SG combo guard won't, due to an influx of guards/combo forwards that can ball handle.

We were short on big men during injuries.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC

No he's not.

I just don't get where he would fit on our team..

Where is he getting minutes?

If we keep the team as is, there is literally no room. Rozier/Smart should see PG/SG minutes, along with the occasional Hayward. Allen cannot guard 3's, let alone 4's. I'm not gonna lie, I have warmed up to him. But to me, he's considered an early second round pick at best.

I would rather use that pick on Spellman, or Mo Wagner.

No he's not.

If Semi, who couldn't make any shots this year, got rotation minutes...then I think someone at 27 can break through.

My god, you have this inherent dislike for Semi, and it's puzzling to me, did he like hurt your family or something? He's a freaking 2nd rounder, who performed admirably well on defense against Giannis, LeBron, and Simmons.

No. Semi seems like a great person. Just giving you an example when you say the 27th pick won't get many meaningful minutes. Semi, who like you said, was a second round pick that played a ton. If he can break through why can't this pick?

I didn't say the 27th pick wouldn't get meaningful minutes... I said Allen who is a PG/SG combo guard won't, due to an influx of guards/combo forwards that can ball handle.

We were short on big men during injuries.

I am ok with Spellman or Wagner with this pick. Afraid though it will be a 6'3-6'4 defensive minded guard.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:22:21 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Seems like people think we're staying put now..

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
Follow Follow @KeithSmithNBA
More
Sounds like the Boston Celtics are staying put in the first round, but trying to get in to the second round (where Boston's pick went to the Thunder). The Celtics could buy a pick or move a future pick.

3:08 PM - 21 Jun 2018

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 06:23:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
More
Sounds like the Boston Celtics are staying put in the first round, but trying to get in to the second round (where Boston's pick went to the Thunder). The Celtics could buy a pick or move a future pick.

This sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it is close to the top of the second round. Seems they could get some talent there.

Staying put is smart..although I hope that Kings pick next year isn't the top pick

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 06:29:15 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
More

This sounds like a good idea. Hopefully it is close to the top of the second round. Seems they could get some talent there.

Staying put is smart..although I hope that Kings pick next year isn't the top pick

Mitchell Robinson is tantalizing, my binkie in 2nd round is Tryggvi Hlinason.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 06:36:33 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Brunson in the second round would be a steal.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Keith Smith

Verified account

@KeithSmithNBA
More

With Danny being so unpredictable at times, I almost expect a good sized move tonight now with nobody expecting it.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2018, 06:43:54 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
Can’t say I understand the point of adding a second rounder when we had approximately 50 rookies last year, but whatever. No reason to be upset with it given the likely minuscule price.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Can’t say I understand the point of adding a second rounder when we had approximately 50 rookies last year, but whatever. No reason to be upset with it given the likely minuscule price.

Probably a stasher for Europe..

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 07:01:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
The time has come...

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 07:03:03 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Trae Young wearing shorts

https://twitter.com/nba/status/1009932910982463488?s=21

Man these guys cannot dress

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 07:06:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Ugh!!!  Boring panel!!!   Where's Bilas?  Where's Chauncey!  Where's anyone?  Only guy not boring here is 2cnd from the right....
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 07:11:25 PM by wiley »

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:46 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Woj: If Atlanta moves down to #5, they’re taking trae young

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Ugh!!!  Boring panel!!!   Where's Bilas?  Where's Chauncey!  Where's anyone?  Only guy not boring here is 2cnd from the right....

I'm going to tune in again at 6:30 central.  ;D

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 07:09:31 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
So is this a spoiler free thread or no?