Author Topic: Does our bench suck?  (Read 17898 times)

Re: Does our bench suck?
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2008, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I find it ironic and rather humorous that last year at this time Doc was getting killed for playing 11 deep and yet this year when he has a set 9 man rotation, people are asking for Doc to expand the rotation and put rookies and projects in. Poor guy. He'll never win amongst Celtic fans.

i like that he has a set rotation, i don't like that he has no one in it over 6'9.

I'm not killing the guy, i like doc, bt considering pierce is being forced to play 38+ a night because we have no back up SF, you don't think it would be a good idea to at least see what we have at that position?

Considering the way Pierce was handled last season. Considering how many minutes he ended up playing once the season was over. Considering how we've been playing from behind often this early in the season. Considering that Pierce has been our main hot hand in the second half of the games, I think Pierce is playing this much so far for reasons other than lacking a SF.

Though, I'm with you in thinking that it would be a good idea to see what we have at that position, but it's early in the season, there's no real need to find out what we have there currently. I think a couple good starts from our main unit will enable Doc to see what we have, until then, he might need to rely on his rotation to get us through.

right, and nick, im not advocating some sort of crazy 15 minute a night stretchs for walker and pruitt against contenders, but considering we've had a few wins by double digits, your telling me that its attacking doc's judgment by not wondering why walker and pruitt couldnt get 2-5 minutes in the thunder game? or the pistons once it was clear they were waving the towel?

also, questioning something is not "attacking doc!" unless doc has earned the same status of "NON-BELIVER!!! BURRRRNNN HIMMMM!!!" that terry has earned over on son of sam horn with regards to anything other than terry's awesome, how can he become more awesome! threads.  :)

I think doc is a very good coach, and the best one this team could have. All i'm saying is it would be nice to see them for a few minutes during garbage time.

Where did I say attack or accuse anyone of such a deed?

I said I found it ironic and humorous that people are doing the exact opposite of what they were doing last year at this time. I said I think the coach of the team can determine quite well what he has at that position in practice.

Where was I saying attack? I think you are over assuming my point here. I don't advocate putting players 10-12 into any lineup until they have earned the right to play and Doc has determined that they haven't earned that right yet by observing these players in practice. That's all I amsaying. I trust his judgment there. That's all.

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
probabley true,  if so my bad, but you said people were "killing doc" with regards to this issue last year, i don't think talking about coaching decisions is "killing" anyone.

Saying things like "doc is a horrid coach" or "doc can't figure out what a rotation is, never mind have one!" is killing doc.

wondering why players, yes even 10-12, can't see the floor for 2-3 measily minutes in games that are already decided for a bit of game time when your talking them both up in the media is not.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
probabley true,  if so my bad, but you said people were "killing doc" with regards to this issue last year, i don't think talking about coaching decisions is "killing" anyone.

Saying things like "doc is a horrid coach" or "doc can't figure out what a rotation is, never mind have one!" is killing doc.

wondering why players, yes even 10-12, can't see the floor for 2-3 measily minutes in games that are already decided for a bit of game time when your talking them both up in the media is not.
Come on crownsy, you were here last year. That's exactly what people were saying. Over and over again. Many, many attacks on Doc last year got extremely personal. He was killed last year for having a long bench, and the Celtics were winning by a much wider margin than this year.

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Come on crownsy, you were here last year. That's exactly what people were saying. Over and over again. Many, many attacks on Doc last year got extremely personal. He was killed last year for having a long bench, and the Celtics were winning by a much wider margin than this year.

and thus why i said thats killing doc. why does what they were saying have anything to do with me asking if he could work rookies into his rotation?
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
As long as Scal is on the active roster. As long as Scal gets in the occasional game when it's not a blow out, I can never completely trust Doc's rotations.

When it comes to Doc's rotations I sometimes wonder. Is it the young players not being ready or the vets being favored?

« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

and thus why i said thats killing doc. why does what they were saying have anything to do with me asking if he could work rookies into his rotation?
I'm confused. Where did I say you were doing it specifically? If I remember right you were one of the people helping me defend Doc last year, weren't you?

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

I'm confused. Where did I say you were doing it specifically? If I remember right you were one of the people helping me defend Doc last year, weren't you?

ya, i don't even know what were trying to show each other at this point with qoutes, I think somehow i got it turned around and were saying i was killing doc or soemthing hehe.

I dunno what were even talking about to be honest heh.

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
As long as Scal is on the active roster. As long as Scal gets in the occasional game when it's not a blow out, I can never completely trust Doc's rotations.

When it comes to Doc's rotations I sometimes wonder. Is it the young players not being ready or the vets being favored?

Lets take a breath here. It IS only game 9 and in 5 of the games, i wouldn't have wanted a rookie anywhere near the floor (clev, Det, Atl, Hou, bucks)

so, doc hasent exactly had a lot of time to even do the 2-4 minutes a game for walker and pruitt im advocating. not sure we can say anything about his "trust" level. we needed those games, and thus needed our core bench.

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 02:43:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

ya, i don't even know what were trying to show each other at this point with qoutes, I think somehow i got it turned around and were saying i was killing doc or soemthing hehe.

TP for being as equally confused as I was. But I think we will eventually see Pruitt and Walker in extreme blowouts. But even that Detroit game didn't have the feel of being a certain win late when Doc put the bench in and the regular bench had the lead whittled down to 10 points late. But it will happen.

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

TP for being as equally confused as I was. But I think we will eventually see Pruitt and Walker in extreme blowouts. But even that Detroit game didn't have the feel of being a certain win late when Doc put the bench in and the regular bench had the lead whittled down to 10 points late. But it will happen.

TP on hold as i already gave ya one in the current events section, timers still out heh. but right back at yea. And i agree, just like to see them sooner rather than later.

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...

Lets take a breath here. It IS only game 9 and in 5 of the games, i wouldn't have wanted a rookie anywhere near the floor (clev, Det, Atl, Hou, bucks)

so, doc hasent exactly had a lot of time to even do the 2-4 minutes a game for walker and pruitt im advocating. not sure we can say anything about his "trust" level. we needed those games, and thus needed our core bench.

I'm not thinking just 9 games, I'm thinking as long as Doc has been coaching the Celts.

...and I'd take one of these rookies over Scal any day.

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »

Offline Big_Matt34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 80
But cmon guys Tony allen is a disaster and Leon Powe/BBD/House are our best players off the pine with 6 guys that cant offer the team anything.

You are aware Tony Allen is the leading scorer off the bench on a good shooting %, he gets to the line a good amount for a bench player and he is hitting his FT's at an 87% rate while having been very good on defense. He also turns the ball over less than Powe and he has the ball in his hands alot while playing 20 mpg, which is the most of anybody else off the bench. So what exactly about him sucks, please tell me because i think most Celts fans will agree with me when i say TA has been pretty good this year, even when he hasnt scored much over the last 2 games he hasnt got down and turned it over 4 or 5 times like he used to, he kept playing good D and stayed within himself.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 03:06:48 PM by Big_Matt34 »

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 03:01:57 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112

Last night Doc made the statement of he wanted Pierce and the rest of the starters to play high minutes the first 15games of the season for a couple reasons.One is to get into season shape,two was the first 15 games are ones we need to get because other teams are working out their kinks and getting use to one another.He feels the beginning games set a tone in a way around the league.

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm not thinking just 9 games, I'm thinking as long as Doc has been coaching the Celts.

...and I'd take one of these rookies over Scal any day.
I'd take Pruitt, Walker and Giddens over Scal any day too but Doc might be sending a message their way that minutes are to be earned not given. If these guys see Scal in front of them it could motivate then to work harder at practice and hone their skills sharper.

Of course, Doc could just favor vets but he did play Leon, Baby, and Rondo extensively last year.

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 03:03:41 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson

Last night Doc made the statement of he wanted Pierce and the rest of the staters to play high minutes the first 15games of the season for a couple reasons.One is to get into season shape,two was the first 15 games are ones we need to get because other teams are working out their kinks and getting use to one another.He feels the beginning games set a tone in a way around the league.Besides not using rookies or new guys are not a part of Doc's thought process or system anyhow.

TP, to qoute carson "I did not know that"

good stuff, makes sense :)