Author Topic: Trading Smart allowed Derrick White to Blossom?  (Read 6473 times)

Trading Smart allowed Derrick White to Blossom?
« on: December 21, 2023, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I really liked Marcus Smart, and was very sad to seem him get traded.  I watched every single game he played as a Celtic, from his first summer league game to game 7 loss to Miami last spring.

The justification for "moving on" from Marcus at the time (besides landing a stud center) was the concern that he was stifling the leadership growth of Tatum and Brown.

Watching Derrick White's incredible growth and transformation, as a scorer, playmaker and team leader on defense, I can't help but think his personal growth is at least somewhat attributable to the Smart trade. That Smart effectively stifled the development of Derrick White.  I certainly can't prove this, but it makes sense.  Would be curious to see how much White's usage has increased this season vs last season, both in minutes played, and usage when on the court. I think Joe was sometimes handcuffed with Marcus (and his pride as a starter/finisher) on the team, that it limited his minutes given to White. 

Do you think there is something to this, Celtics Strong?

Re: Trading Smart allowed Derrick White to Blossom?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 05:15:50 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I agree. Loved Smart, but it was time to move on as he was holding the team back. Remember that White putback against Miami after the missed contested turnaround three by Smart, while White was open in the corner?

Anyway, Brad Stevens has done a good job, to say the least. Two years at the steering wheel.
A quick overview of his consequential major player moves (2nd round picks and other non-substantial elements excluded):

Kemba Walker + 1st round pick (became Alperen Sengün) => Al Horford (and Moses Brown)
Moses Brown => Josh Richardson
Signed Enes Freedom and Dennis Schröder
Josh Richardson + Romeo Langford + 1st round pick (became Blake Wesley) => Derrick White
Enes Freedom + Dennis Schröder => Daniel Theis
Aaron Nesmith + Daniel Theis + first round pick (became Julian Strawther) => Malcolm Brogdon
Signed Sam Hauser to a multi-year contract
Signed Danilo Gallinari
Marcus Smart + Danilo Gallinari => Kristaps Porzingis + two 1st round picks
Malcolm Brogdon + Robert Williams + two 1st round picks => Jrue Holiday

Summary: Walker, Smart, Langford, Fournier, Nesmith, G.Williams, Thompson, R.Williams and 3 first rounders => Holiday, White, Hauser, Horford, Porzingis
« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 05:24:10 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 06:26:27 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

.I kept telling all the Haters of the Porzingis for Smart trade,  that White was a better defender than smart last year by all advanced metrics. And White was better on offense too.

Then we get Holiday which made it a complete No brainer.

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 07:32:02 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2721
We played our best ball last season when White was running the offense. Letting him take over full time was the logical choice and it wouldn’t have been possible with Smart here. Now, managing to get Porzingis for him was brilliant, and also allowed White even more opportunity to flourish with the effect Porzingis has on the floor

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 08:00:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3026
  • On To Banner 18!
I was going to bring this point up in the last night's GDT, but yeah, it does feel like Smart leaving really benefitted White and has allowed him to excel.

I remember last year often thinking "why are we taking White out in favor of Smart even though White is much better" in crucial moments of games. And frankly, Smart's defense last season was a huge letdown compared to the previous year when he was DPOY.

It shows in White's game this year, but also instead of having Smart chucking up all those shots in the 4th because he's limited offensively (and the opposing defense knows this), now you have to pick your poison with White, Holiday or Porzingis. Massive, massive difference.

Honestly, I kind of felt the same with Brogdon too. In an ideal world, Smart would have been better coming off the bench as a 6th or 7th man while Brogdon and White played more, but I guess due to Smart's ego and experience as a Celtics member, he got a bit of preferential treatment. Love and miss Smart but the reality is he did grow a bit of an ego and acted like he was part of a "Big 3" with the Jays which was further from the truth.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 10:13:02 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
I think this whole thread really under plays the improvements White has made as a player in the past couple of years. White has gone from a poor 3 point shooter to a great one, and has managed to improve his efficiency inside the arc as well. I don't think Smart would have prevented White from taking those leaps at all. White deserves the credit for making those leaps, not Brad.

The assist numbers don't happen with Smart on the team, but the scoring and defense would. It isn't even like White is taking way more shots, he has an extra 1.5-2 threes per game but the efficiency leap has more of an impact. If any of Brad's moves helped his efficiency (either through spacing or taking away defensive attention)... bringing in Porzingis and Jrue would rate way above sending out Smart.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2023, 11:22:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I agree. Loved Smart, but it was time to move on as he was holding the team back. Remember that White putback against Miami after the missed contested turnaround three by Smart, while White was open in the corner?

Anyway, Brad Stevens has done a good job, to say the least. Two years at the steering wheel.
A quick overview of his consequential major player moves (2nd round picks and other non-substantial elements excluded):

Kemba Walker + 1st round pick (became Alperen Sengün) => Al Horford (and Moses Brown)
Moses Brown => Josh Richardson
Signed Enes Freedom and Dennis Schröder
Josh Richardson + Romeo Langford + 1st round pick (became Blake Wesley) => Derrick White
Enes Freedom + Dennis Schröder => Daniel Theis
Aaron Nesmith + Daniel Theis + first round pick (became Julian Strawther) => Malcolm Brogdon
Signed Sam Hauser to a multi-year contract
Signed Danilo Gallinari
Marcus Smart + Danilo Gallinari => Kristaps Porzingis + two 1st round picks
Malcolm Brogdon + Robert Williams + two 1st round picks => Jrue Holiday

Summary: Walker, Smart, Langford, Fournier, Nesmith, G.Williams, Thompson, R.Williams and 3 first rounders => Holiday, White, Hauser, Horford, Porzingis
I don't disagree that smart had an oversized influence on the team, but regarding that shot against Miami, I've heard people suggest that White was open.  Open for a pass, sure, but White wasn't open for a shot.  As I recall, bam was to his side.  Had smart thrown the grenade to White, Bam would have swatted it into the fifth row. 

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 02:08:08 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2547
The Smart-KP trade upgraded 40% of the Cs starting 5. 

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 03:52:01 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
No.

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 06:26:44 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373
smarts biggest issue was his stature on the team being the longest tenured and sort of viewing himself as part of a 'big 3". While talent wise he/brogdon(when healthy last year)/White were all comparable talent his stature basically meant they played smart over white or he took the final shot at times.

thats not to say I don't love smart. personally, I'm not sure Holiday alone is a much different player/improvement than if we had smart/white.

the difference is its easier for someone from the outside like Holiday to come into someone elses team and take a step back and say "this is your team" than someone who has been there the longest.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 06:57:27 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 183
Last years team was sitting exactly where this years team is with both Derrick and Marcus and no kristaps so hard to say.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 07:14:47 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 373
Last years team was sitting exactly where this years team is with both Derrick and Marcus and no kristaps so hard to say.

idk, that run last year was on extremely hot 3 point shooting looking back on it. also what was our SOS vs. now? honestly I don't know. I do know we've played the 4th toughest SOS.

I think Kristaps brings a different dynamic that we didn't see last year offensively. just IMO.

I think Derrick has stepped up and made another leap and brown has taken more playmaking duties with smart gone. Holiday has been willing to take a back seat. something i'm not sure Smart would have been able to.

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 07:18:12 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 980
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The Smart-KP trade upgraded 40% of the Cs starting 5.
Including the Holiday trade, yes. Taking nothing away from White, but perhaps he's getting better looks playing with the best starting lineup in the league. Somebody has to be left open or just 1-on-1 coverage. In other words, it may have nothing to do with Marcus Smart.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 08:36:43 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 08:40:51 AM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 183

idk, that run last year was on extremely hot 3 point shooting looking back on it. also what was our SOS vs. now? honestly I don't know. I do know we've played the 4th toughest SOS.

I think Kristaps brings a different dynamic that we didn't see last year offensively. just IMO.

I think Derrick has stepped up and made another leap and brown has taken more playmaking duties with smart gone. Holiday has been willing to take a back seat. something i'm not sure Smart would have been able to.

I absolutely think kristaps makes us a better team for sure but this is about Marcus leaving making Derrick better…that could very well be the case but if you swap out jrue for Marcus on this team I don’t see us being worse

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 08:48:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think this whole thread really under plays the improvements White has made as a player in the past couple of years. White has gone from a poor 3 point shooter to a great one, and has managed to improve his efficiency inside the arc as well. I don't think Smart would have prevented White from taking those leaps at all. White deserves the credit for making those leaps, not Brad.

The assist numbers don't happen with Smart on the team, but the scoring and defense would. It isn't even like White is taking way more shots, he has an extra 1.5-2 threes per game but the efficiency leap has more of an impact. If any of Brad's moves helped his efficiency (either through spacing or taking away defensive attention)... bringing in Porzingis and Jrue would rate way above sending out Smart.

I basically agree with this, I think.  White has steadily improved since he got here.  He had a great year last season sharing touches with Smart and Brogdon.  He's having a great year this season sharing touches with Jrue.  He's a hard worker who has made himself better.

All that said, I do think that removal of Smart from the team may have helped in some ways.  He was a big personality who had his ups and downs, which may have had outsized sway in terms of how it affected others and their play.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes