Author Topic: This team needs shooting more than they need a center  (Read 16441 times)

This team needs shooting more than they need a center
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
The Wizards ran a basic zone and the Celtics could not counter it. There was no one on the floor who could bust the zone with shooting. I think a Bertans or Reddick would do this team more good than a guy like Drummond or Capela. Kemba is the best shooter on the team but if he gets doubled then they're going to be in trouble. Ainge has to get more shooting onto this team somehow.

Re: This team needs shooting more than they need a center
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:35:59 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The Wizards ran a basic zone and the Celtics could not counter it. There was no one on the floor who could bust the zone with shooting. I think a Bertans or Reddick would do this team more good than a guy like Drummond or Capela. Kemba is the best shooter on the team but if he gets doubled then they're going to be in trouble. Ainge has to get more shooting onto this team somehow.

I wouldn't mind trading Edwards, Poirier, and the Milwaukee pick for a good bench shooter if we can. Potential to be a good outside shooter one day is great, but we need that shooting now

Anyone that would cost a lot in terms of outgoing salary is probably out if the question, though, so we're looking at someone that would be playing ~15-20 mpg
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

I wouldn't mind trading Edwards, Poirier, and the Milwaukee pick for a good bench shooter if we can. Potential to be a good outside shooter one day is great, but we need that shooting now

Anyone that would cost a lot in terms of outgoing salary is probably out if the question, though, so we're looking at someone that would be playing ~15-20 mpg

The funny thing is, Edwards has the potential as a shooter but he's not being utilized correctly. He is a streaky shooter but when he catches fire he can drain everything. He needs to be given free reign when he's out there. Stevens needs to use him just like he uses Walker. Let him come off screens and fire it up. That's what he did at Purdue so i'm not sure why Stevens is parking this guy in a corner.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If the report of the Celtics' interest in Bertans is accurate, then they must agree with the OP.

A shooter and an insurance big, even if from buyout market (if one of Theis or Kanter goes out we are screwed) are priorities.

I would also add that the Celtics should view themselves as contenders this year, and not just gearing up for later runs. And in that light should maximize the team on all fronts, which should include imho converting Tremont Waters contract this year.  Nothing against Wannamaker, but the C's picked a gem in the second round and should recognize it now, not wait.  Waters will add much need 3 point shooting, better game management and more spark plug defensive plays than Wannamaker.  He's a natural PG, while Wannamker is just a steady, solid all around basketball player, but who I worry may be turnover prone in pressure playoff situations.  No doubt Water's will need reps, so the sooner he's converted the better.
Smart may get the bulk of backup PG minutes in playoffs, but I'm convinced Waters could be a major contributor this season and may be needed in the playoffs, with his shooting a part of that contribution.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 12:07:56 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't see how converting Waters is a win this year move. Even the best rookies are usually somewhat negative contributors in a rotation. Rookie small guards in a particular have a tough time being a net positive force.

I assume you'd cut Javonte Green?

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
If Williams ever gets and stays healthy for any reasonable length of time, then the combo of Theis, Kanter and he are enough. They provide enough as a three headed source, while not great, they are enough in todays NBA. (I think back to the Chicago Bull years with Bill Cartwright and company.)

I agree whole heartedly that we need more shooting off the bench and a true backup PG to provide better spacing and a different look from the "it's my turn" offense the C's sometimes fall into. The group of Edwards, Williams, Green, Semi, Romeo, and Wannamaker will never cut it in the playoffs.     

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 12:30:12 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't see how converting Waters is a win this year move. Even the best rookies are usually somewhat negative contributors in a rotation. Rookie small guards in a particular have a tough time being a net positive force.

I assume you'd cut Javonte Green?

Nope.  Love Green.  What I want would only be possible as part of some deal that allowed the space.  I have no clue what the deal would be, and don't favor a bad deal for small gains.  So my point was just that I hope promoting Waters is on the radar IF something else is cooking that would allow the spot. 
For example, if Wannamaker and late firsts could snag Bertans...then I believe that promoting Waters would be part of the positive aspect of that deal.  (I'm sure that's a no go deal for Washington...just an example). 

Wannamaker is steady, but I think Waters/Romeo would be a net positive, and it's not a given that rookie type mistakes would increase in that scenario.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 12:31:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I agree with your basic premise. I'm not sure if Bertans is the right guy for the job, but Boston does need a deadeye shooter.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

I agree with your basic premise. I'm not sure if Bertans is the right guy for the job, but Boston does need a deadeye shooter.

I thought Hayward was supposed to be that shooter but he is not. Hayward is very streaky which is surprising. They had a chance to get the game within 1 point last night but Hayward airballed a corner 3 which is the easiest 3 point shot in basketball? We need to bring a guy in who can drain those shots when they are open. This team is missing too many wide open 3 pointers.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 01:45:51 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
The Celtics need Lou Williams off the bench, but, they don't have him. Let's see if they can get by without him.

This year's Celtics team is different from last....in a very interesting way.

This team, ultimately, doesn't "need shooting". They have a wealth of shooting and we all know who.

This year's team needs a better bench and a coach that will trust it and use it. Stevens simply isn't about benches and young players....which, by the way is fine, he clearly has a contender this year.

Why the Celtics are very different this year.

The Celtics have one of the NBA's top "points in the paint" offenses.

Why?

They have four guys who can hit anything from outside. Drive and kick? Sure, you have three 20 ppg guys waiting on the perimeter for a catch and shoot.

In their last three games the NBA rank for "points in the paint" (PIP)

Nuggets 58.7
Fakers 57.3
Celtics 56.7
Clips 56

For the season, the Celtics are number 8 in the NBA for PIP, but the trend is probably they will finish the season close to the top 5.

Last year's team of chuckers? 26th in the NBA for PIP.
If you aren't hitting your outside shots and you don't have an inside game? You lose....last night against the Wiz was a good example. They just kept chucking and losing.

Another issue this year is first quarter scoring...Celtics are 26th in the NBA.

Don't feel bad though....

4th quarter scoring - Celtics 4th in the NBA

How about 4th quarter average scoring margin...Celtics are 3rd in the NBA.

The Celtics, throughout this season, have beat up their opponents in the 4th quarter. This team doesn't give up leads late in games and the below is why.

Celtics are 3rd in the NBA in average scoring margin with the greatest influence on this stat from their defense. They aren't doing this buy scoring (14th for PPG in NBA).

They are doing it by playing defense.

As of today(1/7/20), the Boston Celtics allow an average of 103.5 PPG which is Number 1 in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2020, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

This year's team needs a better bench and a coach that will trust it and use it. Stevens simply isn't about benches and young players....which, by the way is fine, he clearly has a contender this year.

I may be in the minority on this one but i think the bench has the pieces to be good. Stevens just does not utilize these guys correctly. Carsen Edwards is a streaky, rhythm player but he rarely touches the ball when he plays. He gets parked in the corner. Romeo Langford is great coming off picks and going downhill, but he rarely touches the ball when he plays and also gets parked in the corner. What's the point in having these guys if Stevens refuses to use them correctly?

Why does he keep throwing Ojeleye out there who provides absolutely nothing? A lot of this is on Stevens.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I may be in the minority on this one but i think the bench has the pieces to be good. Stevens just does not utilize these guys correctly. Carsen Edwards is a streaky, rhythm player but he rarely touches the ball when he plays. He gets parked in the corner. Romeo Langford is great coming off picks and going downhill, but he rarely touches the ball when he plays and also gets parked in the corner. What's the point in having these guys if Stevens refuses to use them correctly?

Why does he keep throwing Ojeleye out there who provides absolutely nothing? A lot of this is on Stevens.
Because Semih can be trusted to make the proper defensive rotations and has the necessary size and strength for certain matchups.

As for not using Carsen Edwards properly, look he needs to adjust to being a bench scoring guard. The idea that we should let him run the show like Lou Williams because that's what he did in Purdue is misguided. That's not what the team will be asking from him, nor is it something you can fairly ask of a rookie guard and expect good results.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Because Semih can be trusted to make the proper defensive rotations and has the necessary size and strength for certain matchups.

As for not using Carsen Edwards properly, look he needs to adjust to being a bench scoring guard. The idea that we should let him run the show like Lou Williams because that's what he did in Purdue is misguided. That's not what the team will be asking from him, nor is it something you can fairly ask of a rookie guard and expect good results.

Exactly. It's not about utilizing a player to be the best they can be, it's about utilizing players to be the best the team can be. Edwards may be at his best by being more involved in the offense and having a bigger role, but if the team is better off having him in a small role and leaning on their stars then that's what Brad should be doing.

Ideally the two line up, but if they don't then the player needs to adjust. The idea of changing our team for a second round rookie to get going instead of the rookie figuring out how to fit (or trading him for someone that would fit immediately) is just weird to me. It's one thing with a stud or an early pick like Langford, but for Carsen it doesn't really make sense
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton

Exactly. It's not about utilizing a player to be the best they can be, it's about utilizing players to be the best the team can be. Edwards may be at his best by being more involved in the offense and having a bigger role, but if the team is better off having him in a small role and leaning on their stars then that's what Brad should be doing.

Ideally the two line up, but if they don't then the player needs to adjust. The idea of changing our team for a second round rookie to get going instead of the rookie figuring out how to fit (or trading him for someone that would fit immediately) is just weird to me. It's one thing with a stud or an early pick like Langford, but for Carsen it doesn't really make sense

Why wouldn't you adjust your offense to accommodate a guy who can put up 30 points in a hurry? He hasn't done that in a real game yet but i have no doubts he is capable. If the plan is to park him in a corner and not let him touch the ball they may as well trade him to a team that is more willing to utilize him.

It's obvious to me that Stevens does not know offense nor does he know how to utilize players to their strength on offense. I know what the stats may suggest but i have no doubts that good defensive teams can shut this offense down pretty easily. It's too predictable and has been for years.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2020, 02:52:45 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
"Can put up 30 points in a hurry"

That's a heck of a statement. He only scored 30 points 9 times in college out of 108 games, while having the entire offense catered towards him playing inferior competition. (and a shorter 3 point line)

That one preseason game got you pretty excited I guess huh?