Author Topic: Jordan speaks on LeBron going to Miami.  (Read 12196 times)

Re: Jordan speaks on LeBron going to Miami.
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 01:32:43 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I think Lebron decided he wasn't good enough to do it alone. That's fair - no one is.

And given Cleveland isn't in a position to add a second star (like Bosh, who LBJ tried to recruit), it made sense to leave.

It probably hurts his legacy - as of right now - but multiple titles can change things.
They could have probably signed Boozer instead of Bosh and that would have improved them enough to possibly win a title.  They were already good enough to be in contention.

Signing Boozer?  In Cleveland?  REALLY think they would have done that?

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
Jordan's right, I lost a lot of respect for the cowardly three when they all joined up. I don't care about the betrayal or money aspects, it's just kind of lame that so early in their careers, these three don't want to compete against each other.

Let's also not include Bosh in any discussion where he is compared to Larry or Magic. He is a very good player but nowhere near a great player, his stock has probably risen while Wade's and Lebron's has fallen in this whole situation.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
I don't agree with Jordan.

As a competitor your ultimate goal isn't to "beat anyone".

It should be "to win".

Jordan could never beat Bird anyway, and he beat an aging and quite possibly an ill Magic Johnson, one time.

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 02:42:02 PM »

Offline Rondo9dunx

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 4
LUL
Love how they decide to bend Barkley over at the end and violate him with a hot poker... had me rolling
Andy Bernard doesnt lose constests. He wins them, or he quits them because they're unfair.

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

It should be "to win".

Jordan could never beat Bird anyway, and he beat an aging and quite possibly an ill Magic Johnson, one time.

he also didnt have a supporting cast and was not yet in his prime during the late 80's

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 04:04:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

It should be "to win".

he also didnt have a supporting cast and was not yet in his prime during the late 80's
true, but say Chicago doesn't make the trade for Pippen, then what happens to the Bulls and Jordan.  The Bulls may still have won a title or two, but certainly not six, and does MJ stay in Chicago or go somewhere else?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I think Lebron decided he wasn't good enough to do it alone. That's fair - no one is.

And given Cleveland isn't in a position to add a second star (like Bosh, who LBJ tried to recruit), it made sense to leave.

It probably hurts his legacy - as of right now - but multiple titles can change things.

Lebron James wasn't alone, he's just a loser.  The Cavs won 60 games in back to back seasons nobody does that alone. They also lost quite a few playoff games they were close enough in for him to take them over, but he couldn't. They lost a game 7 on our floor 3 years ago that was there for the taking, and Pierce had a greater will to win than he did. Flat out this guy is just a loser.

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Lebron James wasn't alone, he's just a loser.  The Cavs won 60 games in back to back seasons nobody does that alone. They also lost quite a few playoff games they were close enough in for him to take them over, but he couldn't. They lost a game 7 on our floor 3 years ago that was there for the taking, and Pierce had a greater will to win than he did. Flat out this guy is just a loser.

In Lebron's defense, this last year was the first season where he really had an adequate supporting cast.  With pretty terrible teammates, he got the Cavs to 66 wins one season, to the Finals in another, and within five minutes of knocking out the 2008 Celtics on their home court.  It's rough calling somebody a "loser" after that body of work.

This year, I think he choked, because he had the pieces (even if very few of them contributed at playoff team).  Shaq, Jamison, Varejao, and Williams should have been enough of a supporting cast for Lebron to win a title, even if it's still nothing to write home about.  However, Lebron played poorly when it mattered, and his team faltered.  That does not, however, mean that the reason Cleveland couldn't get over the hump is because of Lebron.  There's only so much heavy lifting that one player can do.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 05:10:07 PM »

Offline jacksmedulaoblongata

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10

In Lebron's defense, this last year was the first season where he really had an adequate supporting cast.  With pretty terrible teammates, he got the Cavs to 66 wins one season, to the Finals in another, and within five minutes of knocking out the 2008 Celtics on their home court.  It's rough calling somebody a "loser" after that body of work.

This year, I think he choked, because he had the pieces (even if very few of them contributed at playoff team).  Shaq, Jamison, Varejao, and Williams should have been enough of a supporting cast for Lebron to win a title, even if it's still nothing to write home about.  However, Lebron played poorly when it mattered, and his team faltered.  That does not, however, mean that the reason Cleveland couldn't get over the hump is because of Lebron.  There's only so much heavy lifting that one player can do.

Here's the problem, he got to the finals and take a look at his shooting% in the Finals.  He got within 5 minutes of beating the Celtics and still lost, who's supposed to win that game? Mo Williams? Z? Delonte West? Wally? 2 years ago he was out there missing free throws in the 4th quarter of games against the Magic in the Eastern Conference finals. And then he proceeds to let Mo Williams answer the questions he should've been answering after he ran off like an 8 year old. If it weren't for Mo Williams we would've beaten them by about 25 in game 6 this year. The only thing I'll say in his defense is that the hype is too much for him and he never asked for it, but he did embrace it.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I agree with Jordan and Barkley on this one.  The main thing is though that it takes LeBron out of the Jordan discussion and puts him right in the Pippen/McHale discussion.  A very good player, but he couldn't be the guy on a team.  Jordan, Bird, Magic, heck even Kobe, all have that special killer instinct, LeBron James basically confirmed by signing with Miami that he doesn't have it.  I like how Barkley says that when youre a 2 time defending MVP, the players should come to you, you shouldn't be going to any other team.  He is probably right with that as well.  The entire thing is a mess. LeBron has ruined his legacy regardless of how many rings he wins.  He's never going to be in the discussion as one of the greatest again.
do it

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I think it is a relative point and while sterns might think this is great for the league I don't.  I want to see team rivals, I love it that the lakers meet the celtics for the finals (or insert teams).  I really think Lebron (and his ego) bring the attention so if he doesn't shake hands or can't win at playoff time he deserves.  I didn't watch the espn hr long episode, could care less.  Love DWade, mvp candidate every year, think Bosh is good & funny, Lebron is great but I hate him.  I would welcome the first 2 on the c's but wouldn't want Lebron, think that much of him, before this and after.

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:24 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think it is a relative point and while sterns might think this is great for the league I don't.  I want to see team rivals, I love it that the lakers meet the celtics for the finals (or insert teams).  I really think Lebron (and his ego) bring the attention so if he doesn't shake hands or can't win at playoff time he deserves.  I didn't watch the espn hr long episode, could care less.  Love DWade, mvp candidate every year, think Bosh is good & funny, Lebron is great but I hate him.  I would welcome the first 2 on the c's but wouldn't want Lebron, think that much of him, before this and after.

I think it's going to be bad for the league as well.  It may turn Miami into a big market team, but it puts Cleveland and Toronto in terrible situations.
do it

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 06:02:48 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

I think it's going to be bad for the league as well.  It may turn Miami into a big market team, but it puts Cleveland and Toronto in terrible situations.
agreed, the value of cleveland franchise plummeted
i think while maybe not true for the next decade free agents are going to shun both teams and cities because of supposed lack of quality to teams
I would much rather watch the brad dougherty, mark price, craig ehlo (jordan carried the ball!) cleveland team anyways, lebron ball was boring and a good defensive team like us could handle them

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I'm sorry.  But there is nothing in Bosh's game that would make me pay to watch him.  I doubt that the Raptors will be much worse without him.

I don't think his departure hurts the Raptors franchise at all.

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2010, 01:01:02 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
No matter how many titles the Heat win - if they win any at all - Dwade will always have 1 more than LBJ. Out of all 3 of those guys, Dwade is the only one with the moxy to get the job done so his legacy is intact. LBJ, on the other hand, he left Cleveland under questionable circumstances and scurried to South Beach, tail between his legs. He will always be the guy who needed not 1 but 2 stars to get the job done.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman