Author Topic: Do you know/live near any famous athletes?  (Read 14935 times)

Re: Do you know/live near any famous athletes?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 04:09:57 PM »

Offline CelticWes34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 20
I can only say I know or met a few famous athletes...

Tonja Buford: USA Olympics, Track...my old neighbor when I was just a kid...promised to get me a dream team shirt signed by the whole team...she lied..never forgave her...

Brandon McKinney: Same high school, two years younger than me...currently plays DT with the Ravens..cool dude..

Javon Ringer: RB with the Titans...same high school...much younger than me so I have never met him but we both grew up in Dayton..

Derrick Brown: Forward with the Bobcats...same high school...once again, from same area but never met..

Ron Harper: met him once at a college night club...shockingly, not many people recognized him but i did and talked to him for a bit...cool guy but you could tell he wasn't there for chit chat...

Tamika Williams: UCONN forward and national champion..WNBA player..a year or two older than me in high school..real cool girl though..

Megan Duffy: played for a short time in the WNBA...never met her even though we went to the same high school..

Daequan Cook: From same area as me but never met him...heard he's a jerk tho..

Steve Yeager: family friend...former Dodgers and Mariners baseball player...World Series MVP..my grandfather was his old baseball coach when he was younger...very cool guy...played in Major League too (not sure of the relevance but oh well..

When I think about it there have been plenty of people from my town (Dayton, OH) to make it to the professional ranks...

Sorry if this was too long...just people I could think of off the top of my head as I am about to leave work...

Carl: And, technically, he's supposed to be spayed, and uh, he ain't that. I know that first hand. Go ahead, ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me. Ask me how I know.

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My cousin (Jeff Locke) was picked in the second round of the MLB draft, and is currently pitching in Double A.

Bump.  My cousin is now 5-1 in the majors this season with a 2.45 ERA.  It's pretty awesome to see him doing so well.

(And yes, I bumped this thread for no other reason than to brag.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 09:59:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The soon to be #1 pick in the NBA, Nerlens Noel, lived on the street behind me and grew up as friends with my son. Talked to him a bunch and know him.

Manny Delcarmen, former relief pitcher for the Red Sox is an old family friend.

But where I get a lot of inside info and where I have met a bunch of NFL players are from two of my best friends, one an Assistant Athletic Director of a D1 university and another a Sports Information Director at another D1 university.

Oh, and Ellen Pompeo, the actress, she hung around with my best friends little sister and he tells me I was around here a lot as an early teenager because Pompeo was over his house when I was all the time, but for the life of me, I can't remember her. Then again, what 13-14 year old boy pays attention to 6 year old little girls or can even remember them 35 years later.

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 11:16:28 PM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
I went to high school with Will Blackmon, who currently plays for the Seattle Seahawks,  I went over his house during my sophomore or junior year and played Nintendo 64 with him one night.  Also attended high school with Rocco Baldelli, who was 2 or 3 years ahead of me....Got the opportunity to play softball with him one Friday afternoon after school.  Seemed like a nice guy back then.  Ernie DiGregorio (Boston Celtics, 1978) owned a home about 10 minutes away from me.  I am unsure if he still resides there.

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 11:19:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Rick Robey lived down the street from my high school  :)
Yup