Author Topic: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!  (Read 6233 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown's next contract floor is set!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
His floor is Aaron Gordon's contract, which comparably under this salary cap would be 24 million descending each year, or about 90 million total over 4 years.

His ceiling is the max, which is 170 million over 5 years.

I would give it to him. I would offer the full 5 year.

Nope, sorry.  With both Simmons and Murray getting 5 year 170 million dollar contracts there's no way Brown re-ups for less than that. 

Hopefully the Celtics agree with your stance that he deserves the max, since they're definitely going to lose him for nothing in free agency if they try to low-ball him.  Certainly no team is going to trade for him knowing they could just outbid the Celtics for his services in free agency.
That's not how any of this works. Both Murray and Simmons have shown more than Brown (although i am in the camp that thinks he deserves the max and will earn it  by the end of that contract). Just because other guys who came out with him got those contracts, doesn't mean he will.

If a team "outbids" the Celtics, the Celtics won't lose him for nothing. They will match the offer. That is the nature of being a restricted free agent.

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 03:36:09 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 483
His floor is Aaron Gordon's contract, which comparably under this salary cap would be 24 million descending each year, or about 90 million total over 4 years.

Wow.  I just don't see Brown as a 34m player right now.  Isn't that what Hayward and Kemba make? 

I do not think Brown is a max player.  Murray had a lot better of a season for a team that had a better record then the C's.  18pts 4rbds 5 assists 1 steal 43/36/85 while Brown 13pts, 4rbds, 1 ast, 1 stl 47/34/66.

I don't think Jamal is the baseline.  I think Gordon is but Jaylen can play himself into a  max.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 03:40:28 PM »

• Paul Silas

Wow.  I just don't see Brown as a 34m player right now.  Isn't that what Hayward and Kemba make? 

I do not think Brown is a max player.  Murray had a lot better of a season for a team that had a better record then the C's.  18pts 4rbds 5 assists 1 steal 43/36/85 while Brown 13pts, 4rbds, 1 ast, 1 stl 47/34/66.

I don't think Jamal is the baseline.  I think Gordon is but Jaylen can play himself into a  max.

It's all contextual. I think he is worth it because I think he can be the 2nd to 3rd best player on a championship team. The contract after the rookie contract is more about potential than anything. That's why a lot of guys don't get another max contract after their second one. Teams see that their ceiling gets capped.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 04:42:20 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Nope, sorry.  With both Simmons and Murray getting 5 year 170 million dollar contracts there's no way Brown re-ups for less than that. 

Hopefully the Celtics agree with your stance that he deserves the max, since they're definitely going to lose him for nothing in free agency if they try to low-ball him.  Certainly no team is going to trade for him knowing they could just outbid the Celtics for his services in free agency.
He's a restricted free agent. We can't be outbid, at least not next offseason.

I love Brown and his potential, but this isn't a floor, it's the max, so it's the ceiling. And although Brown may indeed wind up getting the max and may turn out to be a better player than Murray, Murray was the #2 man on a team that lost by an eyelash in the 2nd round of the playoffs and won 54 games, while Jaylen was a 6th man. Whether or not it hurts Jaylen's feelings, Murray has shown a little more, and when it comes to Simmons, there really is no comparison to be made.

Their draft positions mean nothing w/respect to what each is now worth.

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
There is serious downside to RFA, it can be for a 2+1 or a 3+1 (if the C's submit a maximum qualifying offer)

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I love Brown and his potential, but this isn't a floor, it's the max, so it's the ceiling. And although Brown may indeed wind up getting the max and may turn out to be a better player than Murray, Murray was the #2 man on a team that lost by an eyelash in the 2nd round of the playoffs and won 54 games, while Jaylen was a 6th man. Whether or not it hurts Jaylen's feelings, Murray has shown a little more, and when it comes to Simmons, there really is no comparison to be made.

Did the playoffs 2 years ago never happen? You know, when Jaylen Brown was the 2nd leading scorer of a team that was one game away from the finals? Does that not count? That feat is far more impressive then anything Jamal Murray has done.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1781
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Did the playoffs 2 years ago never happen? You know, when Jaylen Brown was the 2nd leading scorer of a team that was one game away from the finals? Does that not count? That feat is far more impressive then anything Jamal Murray has done.

Again, look at Andrew Wiggins. In his age 21 season, he put up 24ppg on decent efficiency both from 2 and 3 - this was over an entire season of 82 games played, not just a post-season where our two best players were injured. At that point, Minny was happy to give Wiggins a max extension as they thought he could only go up. Unfortunately, that didn't happen - no only did Wiggins' ppg drop (dare I say, plummet) 6 ppg, but so did his efficiency. They are now on the hook for an 'albatross' contract.

Perhaps if the Cs were forced to make a decision on Brown after last post-season, they likely would have offered him the max. Luckily for them, they have time. I love everything about Brown and want him to succeed as much as anybody, but he basically went out and had a Wiggins-like post-contract season - which is a bummer because he has yet to sign that contract.

I would love to see him sign a less than max extension this offseason; if not, he will have plenty of time/opportunity to prove himself worthy in 19-20. I agree with you on Murray, but I personally just don't see any reason for teams to jump the gun on giving a full 5-yr max unless the player is an absolute superstar in the making. Neither Murray or Brown (even more so) are that right now.

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 05:48:20 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

2 seasons ago is 2 seasons ago.

What happened this season is more relevant. And what happens in the 19-20 season will be far more important than either.

Denver & Philly are all in on their 2 guys. The Celtics are keeping their powder dry with good reason. We're likely going to have to max Tatum in a year or two, and probably want to make sure we have flexibility for 2 years from now FA class, plus or minus Gordon somewhere in between.

Jaylen isn't there (max contract) yet. You can argue that Murray isn't either and I wouldn't make the case that he is, but that's not relevant to the Celtics, they have to make their own decisions. Murray is obviously their guy, he plays more minutes than anyone on their team, and is obviously their 2nd best player. At no point has Brown been even the 3rd best player on a healthy Celtics team. As for Simmons, shooting limitations or not, no one can make the case Philly shouldn't have gone max on Simmons.

Personally, I wouldn't give Jaylen a max extension now, he hasn't earned it. He's looks like he's on the way to being that caliber of player, and I'm hoping he gets there.

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2019, 06:27:11 PM »

• Paul Silas
Info: Assuming nothing happens between this year and next, it doesn't make sense for the Cs to offer Brown something now. Next off-season, his cap hold number is just under 20 million, but if he signed now for more than that, that would be his cap hold number. That would restrict the Cs ability to make other moves next season.

Especially with our MLE. By my math, if we wait to sign Brown until after we sign a guy for a full MLE (about 10 million a year), we would be able to offer more than if we signed Brown first. That's due to MLE rules for tax payers and non-tax payers.

That could be a big man, or an important contract to trade for another star.

So the fact that the Cs don't offer something now is not a slight. They likely know that and are trying to maintain maximum flexibility to make the best team possible.

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Pay Jaylen his floor is Iguodala with a better 3 ball and worse play-making.

3rd Best player on a non super team contender.

At his age with his potential we will be able to ship out the contract even if it doesn't work out.

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2019, 07:36:08 PM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
There is serious downside to RFA, it can be for a 2+1 or a 3+1 (if the C's submit a maximum qualifying offer)

Or even worse, he takes the qualifying offer and walks as a UFA the next year.

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »

• Paul Silas

These guys know the math. Both options are not ideal to maximize their earning.

A 2+1 doesn't guarantee money long-term.

A qualifying offer can mean a guy is signing his third contract after his 9th season, which doesn't allow the big jumps top guys get. They also might be on the downside of their career, with teams less willing to pay bigger contract for them.

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2019, 07:48:39 PM »

Offline TDurden

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

In all honesty this is the most likely scenario.  The Celtics will make a low-ball extension offer, which Brown (having undoubtedly been tampered with) will decline and head to free-agency where he'll get market value on a team that has cap-space and the opportunity for him to play.

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

In all honesty this is the most likely scenario.  The Celtics will make a low-ball extension offer, which Brown (having undoubtedly been tampered with) will decline and head to free-agency where he'll get market value on a team that has cap-space and the opportunity for him to play.
Why is this the most likely outcome?

There has been no reports of Jaylen not liking being in Boston or Boston not valuing Brown extremely high and or Boston not willing to give Brown max money.

The most likely scenario is Jaylen signs a 4 or 5 year deal with Boston next offseason. What that contract is worth? I don't know. It is going to depend on what Brown does this season. But I have no doubt that Ainge and Brown will come together on a figure that keeps Brown here for many years.

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 08:15:01 PM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1036
I have no idea what one player’s max contract extension with another team has to do with Brown’s “floor,” but ok.
CELTICS 2024