Author Topic: Vacated wins? If the game never happened....do fans get their money back?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I'm thinking of this because UNC football just had to vacate I think 2009 and 2010 because they cheated.

Isn't vacating wins sort of pointless? So you don't win, but the other team doesn't either? To me it would make more sense if you were to actually forfeit. But then if you admit that you shouldn't have gone to some other bowl, then shouldn't you have to compensate the team that didn't cheat and would have gone to that bowl? Plus don't you need to pay back fans who bought expensive tickets? Plus don't you need to pay back TV networks that showed a worthless game?

If people actually had real financial consequences for breaking rules I would think that would lead to less rule breaking. You don't get to knowingly break rules and keep the money right?

Now if it's a case where you couldn't stop it because you can't keep kids away from agents 24 hours a day and they're grown kids and you aren't a baby sitter then maybe it shouldn't be a rule. Right?

Any thoughts?

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'm thinking of this because UNC football just had to vacate I think 2009 and 2010 because they cheated.

Isn't vacating wins sort of pointless? So you don't win, but the other team doesn't either? To me it would make more sense if you were to actually forfeit. But then if you admit that you shouldn't have gone to some other bowl, then shouldn't you have to compensate the team that didn't cheat and would have gone to that bowl? Plus don't you need to pay back fans who bought expensive tickets? Plus don't you need to pay back TV networks that showed a worthless game?

If people actually had real financial consequences for breaking rules I would think that would lead to less rule breaking. You don't get to knowingly break rules and keep the money right?

Now if it's a case where you couldn't stop it because you can't keep kids away from agents 24 hours a day and they're grown kids and you aren't a baby sitter then maybe it shouldn't be a rule. Right?

Any thoughts?

Vacating wins are pretty arbitrary, at least from a fan's perspective.

UMass went to the Final Four with Marcus Camby and John Calipari.  I watched every game that season, from the battle with Tim Duncan to Chaney-Calipari feud to knocking off UNC.  According to the NCAA, all this never happened.  Nah, it was the best memories I had.

My high school basketball team went all the way to the state championship in division 3 and lost to a team from Cambridge by a basket.  It was later realized that they had 2 ineligible players, one who was their leading scorer in the title game and one who was their leading rebounder.  Doesn't matter to us, we fought valiantly and lost.  Right now, Massachusetts recognizes that season without a champion.

I wouldn't take money back from all these great games I saw.  They happened and what's done is done.  It doesn't make for a neat basketball history though.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if there was a PPV boxing match, someone took a dive and it was later proven that the fight was fixed... wouldn't fans demand their money back across the board?  Like I'd feel like I got ripped off if I bought the PPV and you'd feel like you were ripped off if you paid money to sit in the stands.  I can't think of an example of this happening, though. 

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
if there was a PPV boxing match, someone took a dive and it was later proven that the fight was fixed... wouldn't fans demand their money back across the board?  Like I'd feel like I got ripped off if I bought the PPV and you'd feel like you were ripped off if you paid money to sit in the stands.  I can't think of an example of this happening, though. 

I remember one of the Tyson fights being on FOX after he got out of jail.  (Mathis? Bruno?) 

Pretty sure that was done to make up for the McNeely fiasco where people paid like $50 to watch a joke of a fight and the uproar than ensued after that.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team