Author Topic: Celtics and Redsox  (Read 4055 times)

Celtics and Redsox
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline blackberry33

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
The way the Redsox have started and the way the Celtics are ending the season might be the death of me......

Re: Celtics and Redsox
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:20:57 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
We're just spoiled in Boston.  We're just about overdue for a 2-3 year period where all three of the major teams are mediocre.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Oh the Red Sox are still 0-0.  The Boston Yankees are 0-6.  I'm still waiting for the Red Sox to come back after coming up missing for decades.

But seriously, how can you guys root for this team when we're one of the highest paying teams in the MLB?  I know you can make the argument that we have the revenue and we are willing to spend but still in the end, the playing field is not level.  This is like the Celtics with Kobe, PP, Rose, Stoudemire and Duncan against the league.  It's pathetic how the Sox bought their players and I can't bring myself to root for them anymore.  Go Royals.

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:31:22 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133
Oh the Red Sox are still 0-0.  The Boston Yankees are 0-6.  I'm still waiting for the Red Sox to come back after coming up missing for decades.

But seriously, how can you guys root for this team when we're one of the highest paying teams in the MLB?  I know you can make the argument that we have the revenue and we are willing to spend but still in the end, the playing field is not level.  This is like the Celtics with Kobe, PP, Rose, Stoudemire and Duncan against the league.  It's pathetic how the Sox bought their players and I can't bring myself to root for them anymore.  Go Royals.

Good luck with that.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:32:36 PM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49

Yeah, we should hate our hometown team because they have a high payroll, good point. Also, they acquired AGon off of strictly prospects, still haven't signed him to an extension either. So that point's not too valid. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon all came up through the system. Seems like some good drafting to me, no? They paid a lot for Crawford, true. But you want us to stop liking them now because they can afford to pay people a lot of money? Seems like a strange thought process to me.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White

Yeah, we should hate our hometown team because they have a high payroll, good point. Also, they acquired AGon off of strictly prospects, still haven't signed him to an extension either. So that point's not too valid. Pedroia, Ellsbury, Lester, Buchholz, Papelbon all came up through the system. Seems like some good drafting to me, no? They paid a lot for Crawford, true. But you want us to stop liking them now because they can afford to pay people a lot of money? Seems like a strange thought process to me.

Spoken like a true Yankees fan.  Finding excuses for the highly paid free agents and checking off who were raised in the farm...Jeter, Soriano, Chamberlain, Rivera, Posada, Hughes...

Right, keep drinking the "we're a scrappy bunch!" kool aid.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »

Offline outcry

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 133

Spoken like a true Yankees fan.  Finding excuses for the highly paid free agents and checking off who were raised in the farm...Jeter, Soriano, Chamberlain, Rivera, Posada, Hughes...

If the Royals actually drafted well then maybe they'd be a team like the Rays were a couple years ago. There are a lot of teams out there that have stingy owners like the Pirates. The difference between a team like the Royals and Red Sox is the fact that one team drafts better and that they can afford to extend their farm raised players. After all, their drafting made it possible to acquire a big player like Adrian Gonzalez. Some of those small market teams can actually afford to keep their franchise players. They choose not to.
2011 PAPOUG CHAMPION

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

If the Royals actually drafted well then maybe they'd be a team like the Rays were a couple years ago. There are a lot of teams out there that have stingy owners like the Pirates. The difference between a team like the Royals and Red Sox is the fact that one team drafts better and that they can afford to extend their farm raised players. After all, their drafting made it possible to acquire a big player like Adrian Gonzalez. Some of those small market teams can actually afford to keep their franchise players. They choose not to.

The Royals actually have drafted very well in the past few years and you'll see them turn into the Rays within the next 3 years.  They have 9 prospects in the top 100, 3 in the top 10.  All 9 are also 22 or younger, they'll be just fine soon enough.  Dayton Moore is actually quite the GM, he interviewed for the Red Sox job in 2005, he's done a very good job in KC and I think you'll see him continue to do so.
do it

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:42 PM »

Offline Employee8

• Derrick White

The Royals actually have drafted very well in the past few years and you'll see them turn into the Rays within the next 3 years.  They have 9 prospects in the top 100, 3 in the top 10.  All 9 are also 22 or younger, they'll be just fine soon enough.  Dayton Moore is actually quite the GM, he interviewed for the Red Sox job in 2005, he's done a very good job in KC and I think you'll see him continue to do so.

Let's see what happens to them when they become free agents and the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Angels and Phillies throw their money at them.  Yeah you can give the Royals crap for not retaining them but how can they justify their spending when its revenue is only 1/4th that of any one of the highest revenue earning teams?  That's why a salary cap needs to be there to ensure a fair playing field.  I shudder to think what the NBA would be like if we had the MLB system.  Everybody would be in NY and LA.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Oh the Red Sox are still 0-0.  The Boston Yankees are 0-6.  I'm still waiting for the Red Sox to come back after coming up missing for decades.

But seriously, how can you guys root for this team when we're one of the highest paying teams in the MLB?  I know you can make the argument that we have the revenue and we are willing to spend but still in the end, the playing field is not level.  This is like the Celtics with Kobe, PP, Rose, Stoudemire and Duncan against the league.  It's pathetic how the Sox bought their players and I can't bring myself to root for them anymore.  Go Royals.

I'm supposed to hate my hometown team because fans around here care enough for the team to actually make money, unlike the Pirates and the Royals?

I agree that the system is messed up, but at least it generally means that the teams with the most die-hard fanbases have the most money to spend and thus do the best.  Makes sense.  (having rich owners who are willing to spend helps, too).

But the Yankees spent billions trying to win for over a decade and they only just won a couple years ago.  The Giants won last year despite not having a superstar studded roster.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers