Poll

Bill Simmons - Funny / Knowledgeable or Not Funny / Other?

Do you find Simmons funny and a don't miss read?
21 (70%)
Or not? Please post your reason(s) below
9 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Bill Simmons - Funny / Knowledgeable or Not Funny / Other?  (Read 14596 times)

Re: Bill Simmons - Funny / Knowledgeable or Not Funny / Other?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 04:46:14 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
When I read his Heat-Celtics 1st round prediction, anytime I see his name, I look the other way or write something bad, like HE SUCKS!
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 05:31:50 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
I don't find him either funny or knowledgeable.  I think he goes overboard to seem fair when he critiques the C's because he realizes ( the one thing he's not dumb about ) it will lead too more page views.  But again he's proven wrong 99% ( blind squirrel ) of the time anyway.  That's my take on him from a few years ago when I made a decision to stop giving him my page views.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 10:35:54 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
OK, it's official.  I am done with Bill Simmons.

His most recent article is a ridiculously long explanation of his "accidental" tweet about the Randy Moss trade.  This explanation of his was just a thinly veiled excuse for him to go on for page after page about how important he is and how many connections he has.

He's become so full of himself and has strayed so far from what made him popular and a great writer, it's really too bad.

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I used to find Bill Simmons hilarious and wouldnt miss a read. now i dont tend to read him too much because its kind of the same old recycled jokes in similarly structured articles.

However, the book of basketball was hilarious and was filled with great information. He tends to have some pretty good articles here and there. I certainly dont read every single article he writes but I do enjoy reading his stuff every now and then.

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2010, 12:30:49 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think his basketball book has burned me out.  I have been stuck about 3/4 of the way through it for about a year, and haven't really read his column since.

I used to love his columns (especially the mailbag), because 2000 words of rambling can be very entertaining.  But 700 pages of it is overkill, and I still haven't recovered. 

The other part is that his columns are so much fewer and further between, I can't get any momentum with reading them (I used to read him every day, and it kind of fed off itself).  And of course the topics he chooses to write about just don't interest me all that much anymore.