Author Topic: Big Ten Expansion  (Read 28194 times)

Re: Big Ten Expansion
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
And seriously I'm not sure where this notion that the Big Ten lacks talent comes from.  Virtually every year (2009 draft was abnormal) it is either 1 or 2 in sending players to the NFL (generally 2 behind the SEC).  The same holds true for first round draft picks as well. 

In April's draft the SEC had 49 players drafted, the Big Ten was second with 34 (and that is with Ohio State graduating virtually no one and only having one player leave early).  The Big 12 was fourth with 30 behind the ACC.  The Big Ten also obviously has one less team then the Big 12, which skews the numbers more in the Big Ten's favor.

2009 Big 12 and Big Ten both had 28 ranking them tied for fourth (of course the Big Ten had more per team).

If you go back at least in the last decade you will find the Big Ten sends more players to the NFL then the Big 12 even with one less team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
IMO the teams should stay in their conferences. 
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Why so, other than tradition?

If your school could earn $10 - $12 million more each year by switching conferences, and you believed that your conference's goal was to give every advantage to one of your rivals over you, wouldn't you consider leaving?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 01:03:19 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen

Why so, other than tradition?

If your school could earn $10 - $12 million more each year by switching conferences, and you believed that your conference's goal was to give every advantage to one of your rivals over you, wouldn't you consider leaving?

Tradition and how are the kids ever going to be able to go to class when the closest away game for Colorado is 825 miles away. (They said something along the lines of that on ESPN).  A tutor on the road is not the same.

It's all about the money though.

But it shouldn't just be about the money.

They are student-athletes, and student comes first.

NCAA has become to much about the money.

Even Ndamukong Suh says you guys should stay.

http://twitter.com/ndamukong_suh

I don't understand how my Nebraska, one of the corner stones of the big 8 and big 12 is going to leave and go to big 10 country!

« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
well Colorado isn't in the Big 12 anymore.  It accepted an invitation from the Pac Ten already which has been confirmed by the Pac Ten.

It would seem the Pac Ten will either add Utah and stop at 12 or preferably add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M (though they apparently would rather go to the SEC) and go to 16. 

« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 01:50:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Everything I have heard is that we should expect Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to accept invites from the PAC-10.

What I wonder is what is going to happen to teams like Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State and Missouri? Now Missouri has been rumored to be being extended an invite to the Big 10 but that is still kind of up in the air. I wonder if the Big East tries to grab the remaining four teams. It wouldn't mean too much for their football but adding Kansas and Kansas State to the Big East in basketball would be huge.

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 02:39:54 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
It wouldn't mean too much for their football but adding Kansas and Kansas State to the Big East in basketball would be huge.

I'd be shock years when the champion wasn't from the Big East Conference if this happens.

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 02:51:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Everything I have heard is that we should expect Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech to accept invites from the PAC-10.

What I wonder is what is going to happen to teams like Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State and Missouri? Now Missouri has been rumored to be being extended an invite to the Big 10 but that is still kind of up in the air. I wonder if the Big East tries to grab the remaining four teams. It wouldn't mean too much for their football but adding Kansas and Kansas State to the Big East in basketball would be huge.
I'm guessing they will all end up in the Mountain West, which would then have 14 and be a respectable football conference and a very good basketball conference.  If Missouri is picked up by the Big Ten, then to replace it, I think the Mountain West adds Boise State.  You might even see the Mountain West also add Fresno State and La Tech or Nevada and become a 16 team conference.  Obviously it wouldn't be on par with the potential other 16 team conferences, but it would still be a solid conference.

The Big Ten also seemingly holds the entire fate of the Big East in its hand.  The Big East will not survive a three team purge by the Big Ten (though it appears the Big Ten wants Maryland from the ACC in any further expanding), which may trigger a domino in the SEC and ACC. 

« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2010, 02:57:50 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
It wouldn't mean too much for their football but adding Kansas and Kansas State to the Big East in basketball would be huge.

I'd be shock years when the champion wasn't from the Big East Conference if this happens.
really.  I wouldn't.  They would probably win no more then 33%.  I mean it isn't like the ACC, SEC, and the Big Ten don't play basketball.

2000 - Michigan State
2001 - Duke
2002 - Maryland
2003 - Syracuse
2004 - Connecticut
2005 - North Carolina
2006 - Florida
2007 - Florida
2008 - Kansas
2009 - North Carolina
2010 - Duke

« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I'm guessing they will all end up in the Mountain West, which would then have 14 and be a respectable football conference and a very good basketball conference.  If Missouri is picked up by the Big Ten, then to replace it, I think the Mountain West adds Boise State.  You might even see the Mountain West also add Fresno State and La Tech or Nevada and become a 16 team conference.  Obviously it wouldn't be on par with the potential other 16 team conferences, but it would still be a solid conference.

The Big Ten also seemingly holds the entire fate of the Big East in its hand.  The Big East will not survive a three team purge by the Big Ten (though it appears the Big Ten wants Maryland from the ACC in any further expanding), which may trigger a domino in the SEC and ACC. 
Kansas and Kansas State would be much better off joining the Big East. Geographically, it makes less sense but remaining BCS viable in football and being in an elite basketball conference where they could have rivalries with perennial Top 25 powers Louisville, Syracuse, Connecticut, Notre Dame, and so on.

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Kansas and Kansas State would be much better off joining the Big East. Geographically, it makes less sense but remaining BCS viable in football and being in an elite basketball conference where they could have rivalries with perennial Top 25 powers Louisville, Syracuse, Connecticut, Notre Dame, and so on.

If the Big 12 dissolves, there's a pretty good chance that an expanded Mountain West would get an automatic bid, I bet.  I think that would be especially true if Boise State joined.  I mean, that football conference wouldn't be any worse than the current Big East, right?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I think the Pac-16 could be pretty awesome with Oklahoma and Texas joining

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

If the Big 12 dissolves, there's a pretty good chance that an expanded Mountain West would get an automatic bid, I bet.  I think that would be especially true if Boise State joined.  I mean, that football conference wouldn't be any worse than the current Big East, right?
That is my thought.  I suppose if the Big Ten stops at 12 that the ACC and SEC would also both stay at 12, which means the Big East could remain, but I just don't see it happening at this point.  I think you end up with the Pac 16, the Big 16, the SEC 16, the ACC 16, and everyone else.  The best shot the remaining Big 12 teams would have is joining a suped up Mountain West.  The Big East would then be a non-football conference or would dissolve completely.

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2010, 03:45:33 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I don't know Roy. The Mountain West had an outstanding year last year and a good one the year before but historically it is a very weak conference. Adding Boise State would be key but the Big East has always been a much stronger conference and with teams in big cities has better recruiting bases to start with.

Also, Kansas and Kansas State are more basketball schools and the Big East is one of the top 2-3 conferences in the country, easily.

If the Mountain West can get Boise State and maybe steal someone from another conference that has a good football program, then maybe they get the Big 12 bid to the BCS but a seriously doubt it.

The BCS wants the elite teams and if the power conferences get deeper, I see them dropping the Big 12 bids, adding more at large bids and offering up to 3 bids to each power conference. That way they could get Texas, USC and Oregon from the PAC 10 and/or Nebraska, Ohio State and Penn State from the Big 10 and/or Florida, Alabama and Tennessee from the SEC if that's where the best teams are that year.

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
big ten is making a strong run at texas and am